XWAUpgrade & Darksaber UCP - what is difference? (noob)

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

XWAUpgrade & Darksaber UCP - what is difference? (noob)

feverdog
Recruit

Post by feverdog » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi.

Ok so I'm happy to have bought XWA for some nostalgia (I played XW, Tie, XWvsT but never did play XWA for some strange reason)

I was over the moon to find about this project to upgrade the graphics etc in the game, as well as some other mod that adds the original X-Wing etc missions into the game (which I have yet to find)

I found this info from a really old article at PC Gamer ( http://www.pcgamer.com/play-x-wing-with ... ou-should/ )

What I am struggling to understand with my noob head on.....

1. what is the difference between the XWAUpgrade, and the Darksabers Ultimate Craft Pack? I noticed the file size is larger on the Darksaber UCP? My only theory with this that I can gather is that darksaber adds unofficial ships perhaps?

2. I have so far installed only the Darksaber UCP, and tested and yes it looks great. Do I need to install the XWAUpgrade alongside this aswell (before/after?

3. Feel free to ignore this question as its not related as such :) Slightly off topic....installing vanilla XWA on my widescreen 1080p monitor, I was limited to 4:3 res options. I selected the 2nd highest (IIRC 1280x1024? 1600x1200 would've been higher than my 1080 on the horizontal scale and didn't know if it'd scale down or if would lose it).....as expected it played in 4:3 ratio so borders either side. On installing the Darksiders UCP, in the installer, selecting the same resolution option....on playing the game, it is now widescreen. I did not need to use XWAHacker or anything like that to make it widescreen? Does this mean things have been stretched abnormally and i should still apply the fix?.

Sorry if these questions seem really stupid, I read through the FAQ but there is nothing in either of them to explain the difference/

Also...hope I've put this in the right forum section

Cheers

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:50 am

DSUCP is all the XWAU stuff plus additional craft, such as the Clone Wars era ships, among other ships of a quality DS decides to add. Which is why it is a larger file size, it has a couple dozen more craft included.

It's all in the DSUCP readme and on the webpage, which has a comprehensive list of all the changes and what's included.

XWAUCP is just the base game ships and necessary community upgrades.

FYI If you plan on playing multiplayer with your friends, make sure that you standardize your modpack otherwise you will run into desync issues if you are using a different concourse (Imperial vs Rebel) due to loads of string changes, or crashes if you attempt to use opts and differently patched exe's.

feverdog
Recruit

Post by feverdog » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 am

ah - that's great, thank you for confirming that for me

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:46 am

I see this question pop up quite often in recent months. Maybe we should update the FAQ.

Not that anyone would ever read it....
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear