Are the weapon emplacements in the .opt files damaged?

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Are the weapon emplacements in the .opt files damaged?

hcc
Recruit

Post by hcc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:34 am

Greetings. I've been playing XWAUP since the original release.

I noticed in my recent playthroughs with ONLY the XWAUP installed, I noticed some odd behavior from capital ships. That is, their power levels seemed completely out of whack. Correllian Corvettes would destroy a Star Destroyer without so much as a shrug.

I decided to use OPTech, and sure enough, the weapons assigned to some ships seems completely disproportional to others. The Correllian Corvette has 4x rapid firing SuperRebelLasers, which chews through everything. Then I noticed something else. Some ships only have weapon emplacements on one side of the vessel. Is this by design? Did we simply reach the maximum number of hardpoints, so we decided to keep them on one side of the ship? I noticed this originally when ships would behave differently depending on their orientation - sometimes they would fire a massive salvo, but then other times they would just sit there.

I have attached a picture for reference. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:17 am

For starships & default non-flyable craft, there is a setting in BinHexEdit that allows you change the status from 0 to 8. If set to 0 (default), then the game engine automatically mirrors the WP's (RebelLaser, Turbo, Super etc.) onto the other side of the starship too. It basically makes a "virtual" WP hardpoint of the same type. The advantage is this keeps the file size of the model slightly smaller so you don't have to manually add those WP's symmetrically on other side. I personally don't care for it, because it looks rather odd to see lasers just shooting out of hull at random spots. But it provides more lasers then the next method. If you set the setting to 8, that tells the game engine that the starship model has actual gun turret meshes (usually rotating--and if they are actually present in the model) and you can only have up to 16 separate working turret meshes, but only one, maybe two WP's on each turret mesh. Ideally all WP's should be symmetrical. I usually use XWAOptEditor make the manual HP's the same exact coordinates, but opposite sides. i.e. 5.00-x, 34.15-y, 2.64-z vs. -5.00-x, 34.15-y, 2.64-z. Don't have BHE open, but it's in one of the editing screens.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.