[XWAUCP 1.5] Return Nav Buoy on Mission 1 Isn't There!

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

[XWAUCP 1.5] Return Nav Buoy on Mission 1 Isn't There!

kronovan
Recruit

Post by kronovan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello everyone, 1st time posting here.

I've just started the campaign and have tried mission One 3 times, but each time after I pick up the Pi 3 fuel cells Aeron doesn't mention the nav buoy. I've watched a youtube of that mission, where Aeron tells the player to target the Nav Buoy, but she never mentions it or says anything else after we've both picked up our return cargo. Even worse, I can't find a Nav Buoy anywhere in the area despite some thorough searches where I continually press [n]. I've also tried pressing [t], but it's never been located as a general target either. It's also no where on the map whether I view it in 2D or 3D. It's as if the buoy has some disappeared or never appeared, so Aeron can't tell me to target it and consequently I can't find it to hyperspace jump back to Azzameen Base.

I'm running XWAUCP 1.5, but I also encountered the same problem when running XWAUCP 1.3 and just upgraded in the hope that would solve the problem. If anyone could give me some ideas of how I can locate this Nav buoy, I'd really appreciate it.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:19 am

Don't bother searching for the buoy; if "n" doesn't find it, it's not there. It's supposed to be created by a trigger once both you and Aeron pick up your assigned containers.

Have you tried playing the mission in XWA vanilla?

kronovan
Recruit

Post by kronovan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Many thanks for the reply. I was just about to uninstall the upgrade and do a fresh install of plain vanilla XWA, as I'd come across a number of posts on the Internet where players had encountered problems with missions once XWAUCP was installed. That's disappointing to me as I really liked the looks of the models in the upgrade, but not being able to successfully complete missions is a bigger disappointment. I'm also a bit doubtful how well plain vanilla will look, as I have a widescreen monitor and IIRC the orginal was designed specifically for 4:3 monitors. I'm aware there's a widescreen patch, but with that being a mod too I don't want to risk breaking things again.

What files do I need to save to preserve my settings. I noticed that there's files named Config.cfg and pilotname.plt - are those all I need to backup my personal config settings? I checked the registry and couldn't find a single branch for XWA? Or does XWAUCP change things enough that anything I save won't be able to be used in plain vanilla XWA ?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 pm

So here's a thought, make a copy of your vanilla install mission files, and honestly I'd make a complete copy of your.vanilla 2.02 install period. That way if anything odd occurs with any mods you can rollback and save yourself the trouble of reinstalling pretty much ever again.

Then just copy the bugged file and re add the new backdrops if the XWAU mission bugs.

Always make a backup.

kronovan
Recruit

Post by kronovan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:58 am

Driftwood wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 pm
So here's a thought, make a copy of your vanilla install mission files, and honestly I'd make a complete copy of your.vanilla 2.02 install period. That way if anything odd occurs with any mods you can rollback and save yourself the trouble of reinstalling pretty much ever again.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I do have a backup of the entire XWA 2.02 folders. I was under the impression though that there's things that XWAUCP adds to the Windows registry and system folders that would somehow need to be rolled back. I'm not sure how to do that rollback.
Then just copy the bugged file and re add the new backdrops if the XWAU mission bugs.
I'm aware where the plain vanilla mission files with the TIE file extension are stored, but I'm not sure what you're referring to by "new backdrops"?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:57 pm

The super backdrop patch adds in, as I recall, six new backdrops. That's how the high definition starfield is added into the game. Top, bottom, east, west, north, south poles of each mission file.

Barring any missions noted to have been adjusted for XWAU changes, that's all that would need to happen to update the vanilla mission to upgraded, and can be done in minutes by copying the starfield backdrops and putting them into an AllieD library FG template and you can then add them to any mission.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Skimming your post and I haven't looked into it, but my best advice is to open the specific *.tie mission file with AlliED editor. This sounds more like a logical condition/trigger event that is not happening to birth the Nav buoy's arrival condition, as Keiran wrote. Something may be messed up, delaying, or nullifying the arrival condition(s). The new upgraded models "might" have some small influence on mission files (i.e. say the size of a craft is larger or more powerful etc.) than the stock default models, but I doubt that is the issue.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:05 am

One thing you could do to see if the mission file is corrupt is generate a checksum for it. The correct md5 checksum for 1b0m1fw.tie should be
fa821988a4c666a56208abea93e9b3c1.