Excellent work - X-Wing crosshair reticle and Track IR

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Excellent work - X-Wing crosshair reticle and Track IR

Bob_Sinclar
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Bob_Sinclar » Sun May 03, 2020 10:15 pm

Hello,

First of all I thank the team for this wonderful work. This is a piece of art!
I downloaded and installed all patches (XWA installer + Ble Max effects + Dynamic cockpits + Backdrops) + z95 new Hunter aircraft.

I rediscover the whole game.
I have well read in the "general questions" part that the X-Wing will not be redesigned.
I am using the alternate version (delivered in the Dynamics cockpit installer) where I can have a larger field of vision.

I look at this video where I see XWAU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vXpmWNjJgw

Apparently the fighter cockpit is different than the ones delivered in the Dynamic cockpits installer. Furthermore the name Xwing Alliance Upgrade stands in the video so I was wondering if there was a download or if it was just a test you did.
No problem if it's not available but I think the crosshair reticle is nice.

1. Could you use a new crosshair reticle for X-Wing (or any fighter in fact) ? Maybe not since this is part of the original game but I'm asking the question when I see the video.

2. Do you plan to set a Dynamic cockpit for the Advanced Tie Fighter but also for the Corellian YT-1300 ? I seriously think to buy a Track IR device to restart the whole campaign with your mod and those fantastic new cockpits. I hope that mission messages will be usable and readable even if I select cockpits without huds.

3. I have not seen instructions to use Track IR on the forum. Is it easily installable ? I have not seen info in the readme file of the Rebel Dynamic Cockpits v1.0 installer. Is Track IR recommended ? I ask the question since during intense action I am really wondering if we have time to have a look "outside the windows")...

Congrats, the game is outstanding, I am playing it again 27 years after I purchased this game and I have not seen any equivalent space sim since then...
Now many games are "flashy" and "deep" content stands in old games (I fear that form prevails on substance nowadays).
This is why I consider modders as modern heroes!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun May 03, 2020 10:24 pm

I'm afraid none of that is XWAUP, that is (I think) Spyders Xwing Cockpit heavily edited by korekwerner

Other questions I'll let someone else answer
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 03, 2020 11:38 pm

Bob_Sinclar wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:15 pm
Hello,

First of all I thank the team for this wonderful work. This is a piece of art!
I downloaded and installed all patches (XWA installer + Ble Max effects + Dynamic cockpits + Backdrops) + z95 new Hunter aircraft.

I rediscover the whole game.
I have well read in the "general questions" part that the X-Wing will not be redesigned.
I am using the alternate version (delivered in the Dynamics cockpit installer) where I can have a larger field of vision.

I look at this video where I see XWAU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vXpmWNjJgw

Apparently the fighter cockpit is different than the ones delivered in the Dynamic cockpits installer. Furthermore the name Xwing Alliance Upgrade stands in the video so I was wondering if there was a download or if it was just a test you did.
No problem if it's not available but I think the crosshair reticle is nice.

1. Could you use a new crosshair reticle for X-Wing (or any fighter in fact) ? Maybe not since this is part of the original game but I'm asking the question when I see the video.

2. Do you plan to set a Dynamic cockpit for the Advanced Tie Fighter but also for the Corellian YT-1300 ? I seriously think to buy a Track IR device to restart the whole campaign with your mod and those fantastic new cockpits. I hope that mission messages will be usable and readable even if I select cockpits without huds.

3. I have not seen instructions to use Track IR on the forum. Is it easily installable ? I have not seen info in the readme file of the Rebel Dynamic Cockpits v1.0 installer. Is Track IR recommended ? I ask the question since during intense action I am really wondering if we have time to have a look "outside the windows")...

Congrats, the game is outstanding, I am playing it again 27 years after I purchased this game and I have not seen any equivalent space sim since then...
Now many games are "flashy" and "deep" content stands in old games (I fear that form prevails on substance nowadays).
This is why I consider modders as modern heroes!
The new crosshairs can be discussed more on this thread. Yes you can have a new reticule for any flyable ship but it needs to be designed first.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12543

The cockpit you mention is not part of the XWAUP. You can see the creators post here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12214

Yup there are some TIE Fighter Dynamic cockpits coming :)

You can read more about the VR side of things on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12166

Nice to see another player back into the game after many years :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Bob_Sinclar
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Bob_Sinclar » Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 am

Thank you Darksaber.

Content of video is misleading: "more on www.xwaupgrade.com forum"
Same mention here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfX7MAUOeMQ

But I understand this cockpit is not official.

Thank you also for your feedback Ace Antilles.
I have taken a look at the content you gave.
What I feared is apprently true: "In the dogfight, Track IR is unusable".
But a good joystick (MS Sidewinder 2) is also great, after all the game was primarily designed for joystick use.

Great to know other cockpits are in the making.
In skirmish mode the incapacity to read the HUD text is not a problem (cockpits without HUDs are much more "immersive" according to me, they do have a "Star Wars look & feel"), in campaign mode this is a different story.

A last question: where could we find a list of files of fan-made skirmish missions (files for your mod would be best of course) ? I googled without positive results. Thx!

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon May 04, 2020 10:23 am

@Bob_Sinclar in the description for the mentioned video material there is information that you will find more on XWAU. The cockpit you're writing about is adapted to the X-wing model made by Spyder.
I will try to change the descriptions under the videos on youtube.
Immersion is the word that guides me when creating the cockpit for X-Wing.
Regards
KW

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue May 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Bob_Sinclar wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:15 pm
3. I have not seen instructions to use Track IR on the forum. Is it easily installable?
If you used the official installer, there's an option to install support for TrackIR near the bottom. If, for some reason, that doesn't work, try this:

https://xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 33&t=12515

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed May 06, 2020 1:37 am

Bob_Sinclar wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 am
What I feared is apprently true: "In the dogfight, Track IR is unusable".
Not so fast!

You probably got this impression from the thread linked above; but if you look closely at the dates, that was the situation more than a year ago. A few of us have gone to great lengths since then to make TrackIR work natively with XWA.

The point is: TrackIR should provide a very good experience now and it should work on any mission. You should be able to lean forwards and look up and down to check the instruments in the cockpit -- including the messages. You can even point-and-click at the various buttons in the cockpit using your head if you want (yes, we've also gone to great lengths to enable that).

I'm not a TrackIR user myself; but I've seen others dogfight with it and it looks like a very fine alternative to VR.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed May 06, 2020 4:06 am

I can confirm Track IR works fine. I use native Track IR using the settings within the latest installer packs to enable it. Plug and play!

Blue Max did a fine job...

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 am

To add to that, You can also use Opentrack with an Aruco Marker. In that way all you need is a webcam and a piece of paper! I’m testing this while waiting for IR leds to arrive and the results are amazing!
I found a video on this on the internet while waiting for the IR leds and thought I’d give it a go, didn’t even print the Aruco Marker, just used a piece of paper and used a black Edding marker to make it.

See the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoUzwe1bT0

I do use it with a PS 3 Eye camera, tried others but the Eye camera perfoms the best, it’s not the resolution that’s important but the frame rate.

Chri360936
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Chri360936 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 pm

I second the fact that opentracker works. Am using it now as well. It's a good option for those of us with any IR or VR gear.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed May 06, 2020 11:35 pm

I watched the video linked in the opening post of this topic, the one where B1M1 (Destruction of Veltnor Convoy) is played. Great effects indeed.
I have a question about the low-central HUD: are those green lines on the CMD supposed to be ABOVE the targeted object like in the video?
Or is this a bug/issue as they are supposed to be UNDER the target?
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.