Windows Defender and XWAUCP1.6

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Windows Defender and XWAUCP1.6

lepermessiah
Cadet 4th Class

Post by lepermessiah » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:40 am

Hi I've recently got round to getting all the classic XW games again (can't believe it's been 20-30 odd years!!) and heard of this project, I downloaded the file but Windows Defenders is flagging it up as unrecognised app and not letting me install, is it ok to manually override Windows defender?

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:39 pm

lepermessiah wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:40 am
Hi I've recently got round to getting all the classic XW games again (can't believe it's been 20-30 odd years!!) and heard of this project, I downloaded the file but Windows Defenders is flagging it up as unrecognised app and not letting me install, is it ok to manually override Windows defender?
Yes, the file from this website has so far not caused any issues. We always check the installers and use them ourselves before releasing them. I looked into the ability to sign out installers so that you will it get a warning, but unfortunately that is quite expensive.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:46 pm

I use Defender too. The exe stuff from XWAU will get flagged but it's all ok.
Seems to me now anti virus software is getting extreme in what it detects. It needed to be doing that a few years ago!
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

lepermessiah
Cadet 4th Class

Post by lepermessiah » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:59 pm

Many thanks both, looking forwrd to installing and enjoying the new better stuff! :)