FAQ issues

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

FAQ issues

DataDroid
XWAU Member

Post by DataDroid » Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:59 pm

I was just reading over the FAQ, and I noticed that a lot of the information is out-of-date and/or incorrect since we've made more discoveries since then. Just thought you may want to update it.<P>------------------<BR>Member of the <A HREF="http://coruscant.x1.nl/" TARGET=_blank>Imperial City Project</A>
There are 10 kinds of people.<BR>Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:01 pm

Could you be a bit more specific?<P>------------------<BR>Murphy was an optimist!<BR><B>I</B> am a pessimist!<BR>Webmaster of the <A HREF="http://www.xwaupgrade.com" TARGET=_blank>X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project</A>
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:23 pm

If people can list the things that need updating or adding here, then we can work on making the update. Image<P><B>Please</B> don't waste our time having to look through stupid jokes and off topic posts. Thanks! Image<P>------------------<BR><I>Going in Full Throttle!</I><BR><A HREF="http://www.antilles100.freeserve.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>The X-wing Outpost</A><BR>Home of The Batlle of Yavin and Endor projects.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

DataDroid
XWAU Member

Post by DataDroid » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:16 pm

OK, here you go:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>Q.: Why not just release all the OPTs now with SHP files so those of us with MXvTED can install them ourselves? <BR>A.: Because not everyone in the X-wing community has experience with MXvTED or adding new ships themselves. The XWAU community just doesn't have the time to work on the project AND answer the inevitable flood of "How do I..." questions from newbies a manual "patch" would create. While we still expect some questions, the patch format will be easier on us, and for the people downloading it. This matter is non debatable! <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You now release as .xmod so this question is moot.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>Q.: Does the Patch work with other patches like NCA? <BR>A.: Yes, the patch is compatible with the NCA, and should also be compatible with other patches! However, those patches might not be compatible with RFP (like the NCA patch) This means you have to install ALL other patches BEFORE installing RFP! This is not an error in the RFP patch but in the other patches however! <BR>But, once we will actually add crafts the patches might not be compatible any longer. Problems with that will be discussed on the board an in a readme file that will come with the patches that could cause problems!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is a bit out of date, it should probably say patches instead of just RFP.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>Q.: Will the TIE Experimental's have Exterior Opts as well as Base ones? <BR>A.: No. The Experimental's will only have Base Opts. They feature only in a few missions and were not designed to be flyable. So we don't see the need for an<BR>Exterior Opt. <BR> <BR> <BR>Q.: Will the TIE Experimental's be Flyable and have their own cockpits? <BR>A.: No, but it is a simple editing job to make them flyable. Also you can assign the new IFP cockpits to the Experimentals if you want to use them. <BR>Q.: Will the Ties have flight group colors? <BR>A.: No. For two reasons, first, there has been no movie evidence of Ties actually having flight group colors. Flight group colors for the Ties would also make the file size for the actual Ties a lot bigger, which is the other reason why we decided against flight group colors. <BR> <BR> <BR>Q.: Will all Tie's get unique cockpits? <BR>A.: No, not all of them. For once the Experimentals will not get cockpits at all. (since they are not flyable) Also, some of the Ties will most likely share the same cockpit, with only minor texture corrections. This has to be decided still though. <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>These refer to the IFP/ITP in the future tense, but they have already been relased.<P>That's pretty much what I was referring to.<P>------------------<BR>Member of the <A HREF="http://coruscant.x1.nl/" TARGET=_blank>Imperial City Project</A>
There are 10 kinds of people.<BR>Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:27 pm

Anyone else got any questions that they think should be added to the FAQ?<P>Serious answers only please! Image<P>------------------<BR><I>Going in Full Throttle!</I><BR><A HREF="http://www.antilles100.freeserve.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>The X-wing Outpost</A><BR>Home of The Batlle of Yavin and Endor projects.

Admiral Alistair
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Admiral Alistair » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Q.: Can I play with other players whom do not have the patch? <BR>A.: It is now proven that it is not truly possible to play against players without the RFP because of the *.exe data difference, which tends to result in a major packet loss,<BR>almost to the point of making the game unplayable. Of course, you can always do us a favor by promoting the XWAU for on-line, so that more XWA players will know<BR>about the upgrade.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This also applies to all your other patches, not just the RFP. and its not just the exe data causing the lag, its also the different models, which will naturally have different hitzones (I tested this out by using the XWAUP ships in XvT where only the OPTs were replaced... lag was intense when people fired at you.)<p>[This message has been edited by Admiral Alistair (edited 23 February 2002).]
Admiral Alistair

UK Guy Bry
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by UK Guy Bry » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:41 pm

Just one more which I thought was kinda the most obvious one<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>How will the project be released, does it need programming skills to install it? <BR>A.: The project will be released in different parts, sorted by rebel fighters, imperial fighters and so on. There will also be an installer which will automatically add the opts and mission changers. <B>As for now we will definitively NOT release any single opts!</B> This decision was taking for several reasons and considered by the whole team and is no longer debatable! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't think I need to point out how that is a little incorrect now Image<BR>

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Feb 23, 2002 8:02 am

Thanks for the heads up, I corrected those issues. (Hope I got 'em all)<P>------------------<BR>Murphy was an optimist!<BR><B>I</B> am a pessimist!<BR>Webmaster of the <A HREF="http://www.xwaupgrade.com" TARGET=_blank>X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project</A>
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:15 pm

Anybody got anything else to add?<BR>Speak up now or forever hold your peace! Image<BR>We don't want to hear someone say "that should be in the FAQ" in a weeks time! Image<BR>Best to get it all done at once.<P>------------------<BR><I>Going in Full Throttle!</I><BR><A HREF="http://www.antilles100.freeserve.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>The X-wing Outpost</A><BR>Home of The Batlle of Yavin and Endor projects.