Fighter size comparison

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Fighter size comparison

Shadow Reaper
Ensign

Post by Shadow Reaper » Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:50 pm

I sorta registered to point this out, and would have left it alone if it was in the FAQ but I couldn't see it.<P>Anyway, as per normal I downloaded the Interdictor opt(which i think to be the best so far). As per usual I do a skirmish where I just fly around it taking in the beauty.<P>However, as I was flyin around I had the view outside the TIE fighter I was flying. I decided to 'park' next to the bridge section, and found that the fighter looked quite large compared to the thin bridge section. Comparing the ships windows to the fighter cockpit I found that the TIEs cockpit was much larger. <BR>This was also apparant at the front of the Interdictor, with the windows at the nose being much smaller.<P>I know this is real nitpicking, but as you want to make the ships realistic sizes I thought you'd be interested to know.<P>Basically, all i'm saying is that either the Interdictor is too small, or the fighters are too large. <BR>I can understand the fighters being larger than they should be, to allow for visability(if they were too small you would not be able to see them from afar and therefore not be able to target them)<P>Again, sorry if this is annoying Image, but I couldn't see it in the FAQ.<P>Shadow Reaper

Ice Knight
Ensign

Post by Ice Knight » Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:11 pm

i noticed this way back when X-Wing came out. There's no way you can cram 72 tie fighters in a destroyer. it's way too small. i don't know why they did that either.<BR> Image<P>------------------<BR>Fear is my ally!

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:44 pm

Yes, there is some SERIOUS size problems with the game models. I think Saxman addressed it somewhere- On his website?- But can't remember.<P>------------------<BR>"Life? You have a life? Wow! Can I have one?"<P>Visit my site, the <I><A HREF="http://ssd_shadowkeeper.tripod.com/" TARGET=_blank>SSD Shadowkeeper</A></I>!<BR>AIM me @ <B>MIDI Master Jade</B>!
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Ice Knight
Ensign

Post by Ice Knight » Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:58 am

Maybe one day someone will get the size right.<P>------------------<BR>Fear is my ally!

Mr. Bonejangles
Ensign

Post by Mr. Bonejangles » Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:32 am

I doubt this is a XWAUP thing. The sizes are probably just defaults from the orginal version.<p>[This message has been edited by Mr. Bonejangles (edited 03 March 2002).]
"It may not be a wise man that doesn't learn from his mistakes, but its an absolute idiot that doesn't learn from others'." -Frasier

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:41 am

It's not an XWAU thing, it's a scaling and perspective issue. The X-wing games are weird like that. ALL fighters are going to look too big in-game. However if you compare the actual models in a 3D program you'll see they scale more or less properly.

Shadow Reaper
Ensign

Post by Shadow Reaper » Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:02 am

OK, thanks for letting me know. Just thought I'd point it out.<P>Half the time I spend in the ship anyway, you don't really notice the size difference.

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:34 pm

Yeah, I know it's not XWAU. I took Matt's SSD into Rhino and imported an X-Wing in for comparison, and you can really tell that something is wrong ingame.<P>------------------<BR>"Life? You have a life? Wow! Can I have one?"<P>Visit my site, the <I><A HREF="http://ssd_shadowkeeper.tripod.com/" TARGET=_blank>SSD Shadowkeeper</A></I>!<BR>AIM me @ <B>MIDI Master Jade</B>!
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sun Mar 03, 2002 6:26 pm

It's not really that much of an issue though, as it's not a sightseeing game Image<BR>most of the time you're meant to be concentrating on shooting things, and the most view you'll get of a starship is a quick flyby which isn't enough to really compare sizes. There is a definite problem with how XWA scales stuff though.<P>------------------<BR>When 900 years you reach, look as good you will not, hmm? :)
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:40 pm

If you are close enough to tell that the ship is too small, that is too close. For me too close means I get caught in the explosion from my own torpedoes. Image<BR> One thing, I did flyby over the wing of a winged mon cal like in ROTJ, and estimate the Ship is about half the size it should be. If I can find it I will post a comparison pic (if someone will upload it for me)
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Shadow Reaper
Ensign

Post by Shadow Reaper » Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich C:<BR><B>It's not really that much of an issue though, as it's not a sightseeing game Image<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>It is when the Upgrade ships are installed Image<BR>

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:11 am

Good point, and well made Image
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

pimangalaxy
Ensign

Post by pimangalaxy » Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:02 am

well who cares about the graphics, i mean xwa is getting sorta boring, but because of abolishers missions i play it.<P>------------------<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sag your pants!<BR>I'm Confused!<BR>Be More Mature!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/pimangalaxy" TARGET=_blank>DemonLair Official Website</A>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sag your pants!<BR>I'm Confused!<BR>Be More Mature!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/pimangalaxy" TARGET=_blank>DemonLair Official Website</A>

Ace Knight 1
Commander

Post by Ace Knight 1 » Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:48 am

XWA may be boring but this is why a thing called multiplayer was invented. Oh the possibilites...<BR>oh yeah and Allied, skirmished...opt creation...XWAUP for the most part...if u ask me XWA is good for relieving stress...I'll shut up now...<P>------------------<BR>Come visit the <A HREF="http://"http://members.tripod.com/ssd_dictator" TARGET=_blank>SSD Dictator</A> and have a party or download something for no reason. Just have fun!<P>This message brought to you by...<P>Budwieser...true...
Now We've rewritten history.<BR>The one thing that we found out.<BR>The sweet taste of vindication.<BR>Just turns to ashes in your mouth.<P>Where do we go from here?<BR>And should we really care?<BR>The end is finally here,<BR>God have mercy...

CorrelianWonder
Cadet 1st Class

Post by CorrelianWonder » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:32 am

blah blah game balance blah blah
Need For Speed Cheats moderator<P>www.discussion.nfscheats.com

Rogue
Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ace Knight 1:<BR><B>XWA may be boring but this is why a thing called multiplayer was invented. Oh the possibilites...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>XWA has diabolical netcode. For Dial-up users, XWA multiplayer doesn't exist. Hell, it's pretty laggy for broadband users too.<P>Besides, XWA 1v1 fighting just consisted of circling around trying to catch the back of the enemy's ship. Hardly "exciting".<P>*Grumbles about scratched CDs*<p>[This message has been edited by Rogue (edited 05 March 2002).]

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:06 pm

That's why you don't play 1 vs 1 matches! I like the game, but I wish you could fly all the missions from the Original X-wing on up as one long campaign, from before Yavin (X-wing and Rebel Roots campaign), to the period in between that and Endor (Tie fighter and XWA), and after Endor (BOP campaign). Also a few missions for Black Sun, Azzameins, and other <I>shady</I> characters. Call it the X-wing Trilogy Special Edition, use XWAUP graphics, put it on a 3 CD set, and sell it for $10. How bout it? <P>------------------<BR>If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost!<BR>(Anything in parentheses can be ignored)<BR>Where patience fails, force prevails<BR>All hail Finagle and his prophet Murphy!
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:17 pm

This thread has long ceased to be on-topic. The question has been answered. Therefore it is now closed.