the matter of points

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

the matter of points

tom_solo
Recruit

Post by tom_solo » Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:38 am

Two months ago I joined the Internet group called the Emperor's Hammer or to be more precise the Tie Corps, which is a part of the EH dedicated to flying. (There I am known as Thomas Solo in rank of a lieutenant.) As for today the TieCorps have over 1500 members.<BR>Since everyone has to have equal chances and receive the same amount of points for doing the same, it is important that no-one installs any patches that would help them.<BR>I read in the FAQ section that the stats of the fighters and ships (shields, hull, lasers, etc.) stay the same as in the original game. But I need to be completely certain on that. That's why I'd like to ask someone to send me an answer that, if confirming my hopes, would clearly state that people using any (all?) patches from the X-Wing Alliance Update would earn exactly the same amounts of points and have exactly the same chances than people playing the original game.<BR>

Mr. Bonejangles
Ensign

Post by Mr. Bonejangles » Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:54 pm

The point of XWAUP is to upgrade the models of XWA without directly affecting their stats. They shouldn't be affected in any way.
"It may not be a wise man that doesn't learn from his mistakes, but its an absolute idiot that doesn't learn from others'." -Frasier

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:26 pm

I would advise either everyone use the patch, or everyone not, mainly for these three reasons:<P>-Some ships are being rescaled (A-wing, B-wing,etc.) which may make them easier or harder targets<P>-Large capital ships that had destroyable turrets may be having them removed (Light MonCal, Nebulon-B) which may make them more difficult to destroy.<P>-The patch is cool, everyone should have it, anyway.

manofStele
Ensign

Post by manofStele » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:39 pm

I'll warn you tom. The TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor were changed and do not have missle launchers anymore. That would probably be a big issue for you TIE jockeys.
"Wow... Stele, you're my hero!" -Defiant
manofstele@yahoo.com

tom_solo
Recruit

Post by tom_solo » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Saxman:<BR><B>-The patch is cool, everyone should have it, anyway.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>oh yes! Definitely! But Most of the people won't have computers fast enough for that. I don't - I use my friend's equipment. I will have to play it for pleasure only. Image

Flavid
XWAU Member

Post by Flavid » Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:50 am

Well, everybody would either HAVE to have it or not. The patches aren't multiplayer friendly. But I might not understand your system, so I might have made a complete ass of myself...

The Shadows
Cadet 1st Class

Post by The Shadows » Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:00 am

TIE pilots DON´T NEED warheads to blast rebel scum!

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by manofStele:<BR><B>I'll warn you tom. The TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor were changed and do not have missle launchers anymore. That would probably be a big issue for you TIE jockeys.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Did they have them in the first place? And even if they don't have hardpoints, if the craft has warheads in the mission, wouldn't they be fired from the craft's center anyway?
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:11 pm

I would recommend to NOT use the XWAU for multiplay. It would cause you many problems and take away the fun.<P>You can make a copy of your whole XWA directory though. One standard one for MP and one edited one for SP fun. That way you can add the XWAU to the SP one for Skirmishes etc. Just rename the folders to the default name to play which one you want.<P>That's what some do anyway, but we took a poll and few people played MP that we don't support it. Image<P>------------------<BR><I>Going in Full Throttle!</I><BR><A HREF="http://www.antilles100.freeserve.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>The X-wing Outpost</A><BR>Home of The Batlle of Yavin and Endor projects.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

ACEJim
Lieutenant

Post by ACEJim » Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:15 pm

I haven't got the XWAUP patches installed because they started causing severe slow down with my computer.<P>I tested DS' Azzameen Base and it struggled to get above 1fps!<P>This no warhead issue could cause a serious problem for me as a TIE Interceptor Modified to carry concussion missles plays a big role in my campaign. I didn't want to create a new Opt so I just used AlliED to add shields and extra weapons.<P>I think the TG TFs and the T/Is did have Warhead launchers, as they were basicly the same models from XWvTF. If you add warheads to a ship that really doesn't have them, such as the TIE X2, one of the turbolasers is turned into a missle launcher that fires an infinite supply of missles.<P>Does this happen with the XWAU ties? Could someone test it for me?

manofStele
Ensign

Post by manofStele » Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:08 pm

Marcos, refer to ACEJim's post for answers to both your questions. His idea of what happens is precisely what happens.<P>Since I have a few old TF missions updated for XWA, I ended up opening the TF & TI in Optech & just adding missle hardpoints on the wings. Not like I care where they fire from, I just need them there.
manofstele@yahoo.com

ACEJim
Lieutenant

Post by ACEJim » Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:56 pm

Maybe this is an issue you guys could address in a later issue of the ITP. If you're planning on making one.<P>It would be nice to be able to play imported XWvTF and TF missions as acurately as possible.

manofStele
Ensign

Post by manofStele » Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:17 pm

Topic was debated a bit on release ACEJim. I was told then that they XWAU wasn't designed for the older games, but for XWA, and since XWA didn't have TF or TI with missles, too bad. Then a few days later, someone was playing 1B0M9W.tie, which is the 2nd rebel training mission. And in it, the TFs have heavy rockets.<P>So then I complained that over and over and over it was said that the new opts would not affect original XWA missions. But they were already released and nothing was going to be done about it then. Image
manofstele@yahoo.com

ACEJim
Lieutenant

Post by ACEJim » Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:33 pm

Yes, I remember it now that you mention it...<P>

pimangalaxy
Ensign

Post by pimangalaxy » Fri Mar 01, 2002 3:56 am

ok, if everyone uses it, there wont be any exe difference, therefore no lag. for those weird ppl who hate turning xwa down below 1024x768, there isn't that much of a difference, maybe a bit blurrier, but cmon, wats better? graphics or gameplay. Its a lot faster in multiplay w/ 640x480!<P>------------------<BR>I'm Confused!<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/pimangalaxy" TARGET=_blank>DemonLair Official Website</A>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sag your pants!<BR>I'm Confused!<BR>Be More Mature!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/pimangalaxy" TARGET=_blank>DemonLair Official Website</A>

Weasel
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Weasel » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:46 am

Hello, Tom.<P>I just recently retired from the EH after three years of membership.<P>I have worked with both the TAC Officer, as TACA and for the SCO Officer as SCOA, both for over a year, and well 2 years for TAC.<P>I can asure you that it is okay to use the XWAUP patches for the EH XWA battles, but ONLY for single player!!! Do not attempt to use it with multiplayer. <P>From my understanding, I done most of the "offical" testing of XWAUP patches for the TAC at the time. Both the SCO and TAC approved the use of the XWAUP for single player.<P>Although let me warn you that a few of the early EH XWA battles have TIE Interceptors set up to fire warheads, although it is not a big advanagte in these missions, you may want to not use the XWAUP for those missions/battles where the T/F and T/I have warheads.<P>Good Luck in the TIE Corps, Tom!!<P>oh btw, you wouldn`t happen to be on my old ship, the ISD Immortal would you ??<P>Weasel, aka:<P>(ret.) COL Samuel "Weasel" Shadd III<BR>GOE/PDH-g/GMoF/FoEW/SS/BSx2/PCx8/ISMx16/MoI-BC/MoT-2gh/LoC-PSx45/MoC-7BoC/CoB/LoA/OV-2E<BR>[EXCR] {IWATS-AIM-CBX-ICQ-M/1/2-RT-SM/2-TM-TT-XAM-XTT} <BR>"200 Club"

tom_solo
Recruit

Post by tom_solo » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:30 pm

Now! That's what I wanted to hear! Image<BR>In case of MP i'm limited to XvT anyway (k6/200+Voodoo2) and the computer I will play XWAU is not connected to the internet. (Besides it's my friend's computer anyway).<P>Unfortunately not. I'm assigned to ISD/II Grey Wolf. Tartarus Squadron to be more precise.<P>Solo<P>FL/LT Thomas Solo/Tartarus 3-1/Wing XIII/ISD Grey Wolf<BR>CoB [GALL] {IWATS}

Weasel
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Weasel » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:08 pm

Glad to be of help!<P>Hey the Grey Wolf, a fine ship. The Grey Wolf was the first ship I was stationed on after completeing my cadet training 3 years ago. heh and Tartarus was my first command. <P>Enjoy the TIE Corps! Image<P><SALUTE><P>(ret.) COL Samuel "Weasel" Shadd III<BR>GOE/PDH-g/GMoF/FoEW/SS/BSx2/PCx8/ISMx16/MoI-BC/MoT-2gh/LoC-PSx45/MoC-7BoC/CoB/LoA/OV-2E<BR>[EXCR] {IWATS-AIM-CBX-ICQ-M/1/2-RT-SM/2-TM-TT-XAM-XTT} <BR>"200 Club"

Defiant
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Defiant » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:22 pm

[wbman] What are the sigs???<BR>[Nob] You know those really really long "I'm not really important, but I'm gonna use an online super signature to seem that way" things?<BR>[Defiant] BRL/CO/LoL/RTFM/GiS/MOO/SOB<BR>[Rogue] lol<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Defiant (edited 01 March 2002).]

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:19 am

I think they are some sort of secret code to identify other members, their rank, ship, ect in the Tie Corps. You can't have a secret handshake online. I figure I'm <BR>MAJ Wes Janson<BR>GOE/PfH-g/GMoV/FoECM/SSF/BSx4/ PCx10/ISDx25 /MoIS-ACC/MoIA-CnC/ <BR>LoTR-PS1/MoHW-SAC/CSA/LoW/OV-10<BR>{IWATS}<BR>I have no idea what it means though, someone in the Tie Corps try to figure my list out (If you can! Muahahahahaha) I have no respect for any authority except my own <BR>
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Weasel
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Weasel » Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:55 am

lol you guys Image<P>I rarely ever use my ID line, except with other members of the TIE Corps, but I'm retired so I don`t use it any, except well here Image but only for this one occation Image

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:52 am

Gentlemen, we seem to be drifting a tad off course.

Ice Knight
Ensign

Post by Ice Knight » Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:57 am

what is the topic? i got lost.<P>------------------<BR>Fear is my ally!