How many people own swords?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

How many people own swords?

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:48 am

I just bought one a few days ago, as a graduation gift. It's a large one, and I like it. Some of you may recognize the picture...<BR> Image
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Zel
Galactic Empire

Post by Zel » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:06 am

I own one. Its a plain simple sword without any deco on it. I hangs on one of my rooms walls and I havent taken it from there for a while. Every time I do it I get something damaged in here :D

Geekwithpower
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Geekwithpower » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:39 am

DataDroid has one. Nice looking, too.<P>I've got some lightsaber toys. :p
<B><A HREF="http://stellatus.net" TARGET=_blank>Stellatus.net</A></B><BR>My online portfolio

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:41 am

I have the United Cutlery Sting, and Glamdring from Noble Collection. I have Andúril, also from Noble Collection, on pre-order. The Noble swords are MUCH higher quality than the UC ones.<P>I also have a Japanese naval or police officer's sword, we think from either the period of WWI or WWII, we're not sure which.

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 pm

The place I bought this one from also has Narsil, which I am thinkina about buying as well.
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Executor32
Galactic Empire

Post by Executor32 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:44 pm

I don't have an actual sword, but I do have a rather nice replica of a 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger.<P>It looks exactly like <A HREF="http://www.bladesnewold.com/catalog/ite ... 425822.htm" TARGET=_blank>this one</A>, only it doesn't have a scabbard.<p>[ 15 June 2004: Message edited by: Executor32 ]
他人の不幸は蜜の味。
Quamobrem? Quod tui tangis nocturne.

I've heard the aluminum in antiperspirants causes alzheimers,
but I keep forgeting to find out if that is a myth or not. -Havokeff @ SDN

K_Kinnison
Rear Admiral (Lower Half)

Post by K_Kinnison » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:36 pm

I would like to own some swords, but I have a rule for myself, If I am going to own a weapon I need to know how to use it well in real combat.<P>So far all I have is Okinawan weapons. Nunchuku, Staffs, Sais, and Tonfa. Do large sharp pointy objects yet
Currently working on an XWA campaign
XWAU Plank holder
XWAU Team official Poker

JC
XWAU Member

Post by JC » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:07 am

I don't currently own a sword, but I would like to get the LotR movie Elven sword someday. I like the artistry in it and the curved blade. Don't know if I'd get it from Noble though, although their line of products is very nice, as I had a bad experience a few years back with them on an order.<P>I guess I should add that I woldn't actually know how to use it, but I think it would look nice on the wall. For use I prefer my Glock .40 or .45 Marlin lever action rifle. :p<p>[ 16 June 2004: Message edited by: JC ]

Schirmmutze
Recruit

Post by Schirmmutze » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:23 pm

I have a US Cavalry late 1800's curved sword, made for head slicing from on horses. I also have a British Officers WW1 Ceremonial dueling sword, very very fancy looking. I collect militaria, so I have a lot of bayonets also, including a 20 inch German WW1 Sawback bayonet. I also have that same replica of the 2nd Model Luft, saving up for a real one (The Nazis had the best uniforms/accessories.....).

Warmaker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Warmaker » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:42 pm

The only thing I have is a Japanese Tachi. Looks cool as hell, but not truly functional.
"There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory..."<P>"For the greater glory of the Empire, DESTROY EVERYTHING!!!"

Nightwolf
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Nightwolf » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:48 pm

I am in the process of purchasing my own, custom made, battle ready, folded blade katana. <P>Other than that, I have a swept-hilt rapier and a Ka-Bar. That isn't exactly a sword.<BR>But it is as big as one.
Colonel James "Nightwolf" Davidson<BR>Member of the Rebel Squadrons<BR>Intrepid Battle Group XO<BR>Wildcard Squadron CO

Phoenix
Commander

Post by Phoenix » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:01 pm

I didn't when this topic started, but I do now:<BR> <A HREF="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vectorspace/Swords/" TARGET=_blank>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vectorspace/Swords/</A>
End of line...

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:48 am

I have a pretty cheap blunt Katana, I bought for 150DM in Poland like ... '99 or so.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

warrior
Cadet 1st Class

Post by warrior » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:04 am

I want to buy the sword from Games Workshop, from Arcaon Lord of the End of Times... I like it :D
"VENI,VIDI,VICI" a great conqueror from Rome said it

Captain Needa
Galactic Empire

Post by Captain Needa » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:38 pm

Is that the sword of the Witch Nazgûl King of Angmar? I like it !!!
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa"

Jevan
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jevan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:04 pm

I've got a CAS Iberia White Shadow Arming sword (or at least the battle orders cheapie version thereof), which i just broke (rat-tail tang, damnit!). This piece of wood was more durable than I'd thought, OK? (lol)<BR>I've also (effectively) got an Agincourt sword by Iberia, and a full tang Viking-style longsword (the first two are on <A HREF="http://www.battleorders.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>Battle-orders</A> and the third on <A HREF="http://www.blades-uk.com" TARGET=_blank>Blades-UK</A> if you want pics).<BR>Saxman, how much better quality are those Noble Collection swords? Are they full-tang?<BR>If they are, wow. Could do with one of those.<P>Have you guys noticed how the only reasonably well-made UC sword is the Orc Scimitar, i.e. the only high-carbon steel, full tang sword? And they're ridiculously overpriced, also.<P>I spar with the swords I own, so the construction of the sword's pretty important to me. I guess it's a great way to wreck a nice looking lump of metal, but I figure that I either damage it now or it rusts later, right? Besides, it's nice to know that I'd be able to defend myself in some manner if the need ever arose, although it is unlikely I'd be able to find a similar weapon if I was mugged or something. Just try hiding a 4-foot claymore in your shirt, right? No problem.<p>[ 02 July 2004: Message edited by: Jevan ]

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:07 pm

Noble swords are still stainless, although IIRC better quality than UC's. Don't know about the tang. However the biggest advantage of the Noble swords is accuracy. IE, UC's Sting has the vine design silk-screened on the handle and the design on the blade is engraved. On the Noble sword those details are RAISED like on the real sword.<P>However, using those swords from Iberia for live use isn't very bright. They're made for display only. If you want a sword that will work for real use you're looking at a BIG investment ($600 USD or MORE).

Jevan
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jevan » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:15 pm

Well, Iberia swords <I>are</I> battle ready, but you're right, they're not designed for heavy cutting. The sword I owned wasn't edged and was therefore ideal for sparring (wasn't intending to cut my friend's hand off, or vice versa :) )<BR>My ideal at the moment would be this <A HREF="http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=577" TARGET=_blank>Nami (Wave) Iaito</A> or this <A HREF="http://www.blades-uk.com/large_pic.php?product_id=106" TARGET=_blank>Paul Chen Practical Katana</A> but I haven't got the money :( . Gotta buy a mic aswell...<P>Do any of you spar with the swords you own though? It's getting to be something of a lost martial art.<p>[ 02 July 2004: Message edited by: Jevan ]

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:06 pm

No. My swords are display, not for sparring.

Jevan
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jevan » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:00 pm

With those Noble swords, and even the UC swords I can understand that. They do look pretty amazing. And they are made for display anyway. Have you looked at any of the Kit Rae swords, Sax? They're pretty beautiful also...the only thing that put me off is that some of the materials they're made of don't seem to fit (composite hilt?) but aside from that they're nice.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:56 pm

GAAAH! Kit Rae must DIE! I HATE his swords. They're horribly, ridiculously impractical. I can't stand them.

WarHawk
Cadet 1st Class

Post by WarHawk » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:06 am

I have an Knights of Columbus sword I inherted.<BR> Image<p>[ 11 July 2004: Message edited by: WarHawk ]

Jevan
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Jevan » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:36 pm

lol, you're bothered about practicality in display swords? Slightly pointless? Besides, excepting the unconventional stuff like the Fang of Baelin and all that awful crap, there isn't really that much about the Kit Rae swords that is impractical. The crossguards are all sharp angles and edges, it's true but if your opponent is striking the crossguard of your sword then your blocking is to slow or inaccurate anyway. The detailing on the blades shouldn't be a problem since any blocks you make shouldn't be edge-to-edge so there shouldn't be any chance of the blades sticking.<BR>Besides, if you get the blade of your opponent's weapon stuck, then you've effectively disarmed him...if you're quick enough to realise before he does.