Squadron 42 and star engine

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Squadron 42 and star engine

CagiVasu
Rebel Alliance

Post by CagiVasu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 am

So Star Citizen and Squadron 42, it's single player Wing Commander (and XWA) style campaign are now past the point in its development lifetime that we can safely say it is being made in good faith. And Squadron 42 is about a year away from beta (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/road ... quadron-42). Given they are still making more money every year, I think it's safe to assume we will at least get a release of Squadron 42 at some point. There is still room for Star Citizen, the MMO in the same universe using the same engine, to fail before a minimum viable product, but even the early access alpha has so far been a hoot. They are trending toward completion, anyway, despite the doom and gloom nay sayers.

With that said, the engine is being built on the foundations of Lumberyard to support a sprawling space sim. They have already jumped a number of impressive technological hurdles. The devs and chairman of the company are very eager to give modelers many of the tools they use so we can create mods of all kinds. With this in mind, a Star Wars total conversion mod to create a Star Wars campaign, or even just recreate XWA with current gen graphics, would be the ultimate. I don't think we can trust EA to make a satisfying X Wing successor. What we need is a group of talented fans to do it. HINT HINT YOU GUYS. This is still a few years away, but flying an x-wing against a multimillion poly foe is the things dreams are made of. Getting walk around inside a YT-1300 to perfect scale? I may need new pants.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 am

The YT-1300 is one of a great many fictional craft whose interior sets are larger that their exterior sets. So to allow the player to walk inside and around one in perfect scale would require some Portal-esque trickery.

X-Wing gameplay in a modern engine is already the goal of XWVM.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 am

I predict this thread to not end well.

CagiVasu
Rebel Alliance

Post by CagiVasu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:52 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 am
The YT-1300 is one of a great many fictional craft whose interior sets are larger that their exterior sets. So to allow the player to walk inside and around one in perfect scale would require some Portal-esque
Ha! I didn't realize. That's kind of funny. I've never heard of XWVM! It looks like exactly what we need, awesome!
Jaeven wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 am
Yeah, Star Citizen brings out a lot of angry hate for some reason. Most of it unfounded. It's not without its criticisms, like any company, but it's not some vaporware scam as a shrinking number of folks seem to think. They have over 500 employees across 5 studios developing this thing, updates are large and regular, with funding in the hundreds of millions, with more and more each year. While you need a decent machine to run it, the alpha going on right now is actually fun, albeit buggy and poorly optimized (as is any alpha). They also just had the lawsuit crytek filed against them tossed out because it was hogwash. Poor crytek is desperate for cash. Great studio, it's sad to see. Anyway, you can check on development here for yourself. This is something x-wing fans should be excited about, not cynical beyond critical thought: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/road ... ar-Citizen

If you're a doubter, give it a thorough investigation with an open mind. Try the game during the next free flight. If you are familiar with software development and understand the caveats of early access, I don't see how this game isn't trending toward completion right now, and what they are building looks really cool. It still may yet fail, but the odds are in their favour now.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:54 am

I will believe that SQ42 will work when it's finally downloaded to my PC. The scope creep that happened over the years is ridiculous and there are so many things still not done I doubt we'll see a final version before 2022. And even then I predict it will be with heavily cut content and nowhere near what CR currently promises.

As for the actual suggestion regarding an XWA conversion? The second a modder will even so much as show a screenshot of something that might resemble an X-Wing or a Tie-Fighter he'll get a cease&desist letter from either Disney or EA or even both. It ain't gonna happen, no way you'll get away with anything that comes close to being Star Wars. Not on this scale anyways. Currently there are a couple of projects out there that only survive because they are simply too small to matter. But if SQ42 or SC ever comes out it will be big enough that Disney and/or EA will have a very close eye on it. Any mod for that with any sizeable success will be shut down.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 am

Maybe your right but XWVM has been chugging along quite nicely with occational update on the moddb page and gog thread. They may be waiting for them to release before the C+D just to spite them. They are trying to do what XWAU does with requiring a copy already bought before installation. But we will see.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Requiring a copy of the original game is little more than a nice gesture:

KotOR Remake Shut Down (RPS)

Seems kind of damning that Roberts, an industry veteran, can't seem to get his act together on this, even with a practically infinite budget, almost as if publishers reigning him in were critical to his prior successes. The fact that he's often seemed so surprised by bugs and other issues during streams doesn't exactly give the impression that he's elbows-deep in development personally, either. Then there's the fact that a significant (but not to Chris, clearly) sum of backers' money went towards frivolous vanity projects in the office, like super-expensive "space-age" sliding doors and coffee machines... :irre:
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm

darklord wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 am
Maybe your right but XWVM has been chugging along quite nicely with occational update on the moddb page and gog thread. They may be waiting for them to release before the C+D just to spite them. They are trying to do what XWAU does with requiring a copy already bought before installation. But we will see.
Thing is it's still a very outdated engine that simply does not compare to the likes of what SC promises to be. In my opinion that is the one big difference. The XWAU simply mods the existing game to get the most out of it and while it sure looks a lot better than the original it's still a 20+ year old engine. This doesn't make the project completely save, but it is a whole different ballpark than to take an existing new game engine and make that into a modern looking X-Wing style sim game. This will go nowhere, if Disney doesn't go after it EA will for sure. The only hope I had (before CR went completely off the rails with SC and SQ42) was that a successful game would show that there is a very viable fan base out there for these types of games.

Now to be honest I am afraid if EA does make anything resembling a Star Wars space sim again it will be full of macro transactions (yes, macro, not micro, they will for sure take a good look at what CR does) and be a grind fest with no end.
Rich C wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:25 pm
Seems kind of damning that Roberts, an industry veteran, can't seem to get his act together on this, even with a practically infinite budget, almost as if publishers reigning him in were critical to his prior successes. The fact that he's often seemed so surprised by bugs and other issues during streams doesn't exactly give the impression that he's elbows-deep in development personally, either. Then there's the fact that a significant (but not to Chris, clearly) sum of backers' money went towards frivolous vanity projects in the office, like super-expensive "space-age" sliding doors and coffee machines... :irre:
CR has been out of the business for a long time, and his exit sure wasn't graceful or a success. He got booted out of Freelancer because he was getting completely out of control there as well. And let's be honest, while he sure has some experience in what SQ42 at one point wanted to be (a modern Wing Commander/Privateer) he has absolutely no clue what an MMO requires. Even the original concept was ambitious, but at least somewhat doable. But it sure looks like the money went to his head. Every new shiny thing he sees not only has to be in SC, but it has to be the biggest and best implementation of it ever. Right now even a fraction of what he wants surmounts of a scope and quality that has never been seen before. Maybe, just maybe there is a reason beyond evil publishers why no one ever did anything with this scope.
I guess only time will tell, but I for one don't expect to ever get a running SC, and I even doubt I'll ever get a good SQ42 either. Right now my biggest fear is that at some point the larger backers will decide that they have enough and start looking into legal action. And since some of those guys have really deep pockets and have invested multiple thousands of Dollars, legal action even from a single entity is possible. And once that starts things can go sideways really fast.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm
Right now my biggest fear is that at some point the larger backers will decide that they have enough and start looking into legal action. And since some of those guys have really deep pockets and have invested multiple thousands of Dollars, legal action even from a single entity is possible. And once that starts things can go sideways really fast.
He's got around seven more years left before it's legally been in development forever, though, right? :D
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:51 am

Rich C wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:25 pm
Requiring a copy of the original game is little more than a nice gesture:

KotOR Remake Shut Down (RPS)

The biggest mistake Poem Studios made was to use the same logo of the original game for their "Apéiron" project.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:51 am

There are still some videos of the Knights of the Old Republic Apeiron project available. Most of them had been posted on YouTube a few months before it was shut down.
Here I found an article about its shut down with a video as well: https://www.techspot.com/news/76909-luc ... c-fan.html

Look at the new Lower City Taris and Endar Spire: what do they have of the original ones? "Everything is entirely different now" is the comment we hear in that video.
And the footage they posted was entirely 1st person, whereas Knights of the Old Republic had been designed as a 3rd person Role Playing Game.

It seems the developers were making a new game using the story and the characters of the existing one. Not sure if they actually thought to get away with this.
They could have tried to simply gain attention from the fans as well. If they didn't come out with such project, their team would probably not exist now.

I am curious to see how the new game from Poem Studios, The Missing, will be.
But who would be curious to play The Missing if not because it's from the same team of the Apeiron KOTOR project?

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:11 pm

There is still KOTOR ultimate v0.4 available for download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/kotor-ultima ... ltimate-04
It might be not the same thing as an Unreal Engine 4 remaster, but it's still a nice mod to play, though with a few bugs.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:58 pm

Pilots, you won't believe this: it seems the developer of Apeiron "might be" the same of KOTOR Ultimate (thunder3). And you were right, Phoenix: he was trying to gain attention.
Quoting from a Facebook post (8/12/2015):
Hey guys, i want to announce, that i am going to completely rebuild KotOR in Unreal 4. A big Project of course, though i think it´s a better step then still trying to remake textures for the old game hehe, as soon as i have anything playable i will let you know ;)
Pls share this so as many as possible get this news! :)

watch the new screenshots by the way ;)
stay sharp !
- thunder3

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 pm

I have a feeling he was having trouble re-texturing the tombs on Korriban, whereas he moved directly to a v2.0 release with reshade for Taris Upper City and the Endar Spire.
KOTOR Ultimate was really "just a mod for KOTOR". Here are a few screenshots of the Endar Spire HD remastered: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... _tn__=HH-R
Thanks Mark for the advice to take a look at KOTOR Ultimate Facebook page.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:23 pm

A full KOTOR Ultimate v2.0 release would really be "The Ultimate" reskin mod for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.
I really hope a new team will finish the work. It's so sad such a mod has been abandoned to get things in Unreal Engine.
That said, I must admit that Korriban tombs are not awful in the base game either.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am

Look at this (Dead) mod: Star Wars Warlords of Gemini for Starpoint Gemini Warlords.
Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =908049248
It is surely not Star Citizen or Squadron 42, but it definitely deserves a try.

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:23 am

CagiVasu wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:52 am
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 am
The YT-1300 is one of a great many fictional craft whose interior sets are larger that their exterior sets. So to allow the player to walk inside and around one in perfect scale would require some Portal-esque
Ha! I didn't realize. That's kind of funny. I've never heard of XWVM! It looks like exactly what we need, awesome!
Jaeven wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 am
Yeah, Star Citizen brings out a lot of angry hate for some reason. Most of it unfounded. It's not without its criticisms, like any company, but it's not some vaporware scam as a shrinking number of folks seem to think. They have over 500 employees across 5 studios developing this thing, updates are large and regular, with funding in the hundreds of millions, with more and more each year. While you need a decent machine to run it, the alpha going on right now is actually fun, albeit buggy and poorly optimized (as is any alpha). They also just had the lawsuit crytek filed against them tossed out because it was hogwash. Poor crytek is desperate for cash. Great studio, it's sad to see. Anyway, you can check on development here for yourself. This is something x-wing fans should be excited about, not cynical beyond critical thought: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/road ... ar-Citizen

If you're a doubter, give it a thorough investigation with an open mind. Try the game during the next free flight. If you are familiar with software development and understand the caveats of early access, I don't see how this game isn't trending toward completion right now, and what they are building looks really cool. It still may yet fail, but the odds are in their favour now.
You might have jumped the gun a bit. The crytek suit has yet to be resolved, it was never “tossed out.”