Editing S-Foils

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Re: Editing S-Foils

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for the report

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 pm

WIP

I've fixed the landing gears not retracted at start when there is no s-foils, only landing gears.
I've modifed the opening/open/closing/closed messages.

EDIT: link removed

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks for changing the messages but...... Lol, the open and closed messages are the wrong way around :D

One more message to change, when you press CTRL+L when the craft doesn't have Landing Gear the message is "Your craft does not have S-Foils" should be changed to "Your craft does not have Landing Gear"

Thanks for the fixes so far :D

Amazing work :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Weird bug I found with that current version (bug manifested while testing in B1M4) : sfoils are not closing while hypering out for AI craft, and for some reason, landing gear did not work separately on my own craft (using V said that the craft did not have S-Foil, while CTRL+L worked fine but activated everything

seems to work fine in another B1M1 as a comparison

That said : @darksaber, can I have that modified X-Wing opt that you made ? :p
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:22 am

Darksaber wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 pm
One more message to change, when you press CTRL+L when the craft doesn't have Landing Gear the message is "Your craft does not have S-Foils" should be changed to "Your craft does not have Landing Gear"
This is tongue in cheek but what about, "Your craft does not have Landing Gear; you're going to have a bad time!"

@ Rookie I haven't even gotten to play around with it yet so no way! ;)

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:39 am

(with apologies)

"Your craft does not have landing gear"

Data: "Oooooh, shit!"

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:24 am

@keiranhalcyon7 Lol

Probably better to have "Your craft is not equipped with Landing Gear"

@Rookie_One1, sorry I haven't touched it for a couple of months, and only the exterior is nearly finished, the base and cockpit opts still need to be done :(
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:16 am

WIP

I've fixed the landing gears messages.
I've fixed the landing gears not working in missions.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Brilliant everything works as it should

Even the Xwings and Bwings hyperout with there wings close then open them, brilliant

I know you have don't a lot but I have one more suggestion, would it possible with a craft with both S-Foils and Landing Gear, when the S-Foils are in the Open Position, the Landing Gear can not be engaged and a message appears stating "Landing Gear can not be engaged while the S-Foils are in the open position" or " Close S-Foils before engaging Landing Gear".

The same would apply if the Landing Gear was down and you try to open S-Foils a message would appear "S-Foils can not be opened while the Landing Gear is Down" or "Close Landing Gear before engaging S-Foils" something like that.

If it can't be done don't worry it's just a suggestion :)

Please let us know though :D

Thanks, your brilliant :applaus: :kg: :applaus:
- John Lydgate

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks @jeremy for the fix! :)

@Darksaber then what are you waiting for ? GET BACK TO WORK SLAVE :lachtot:
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Ok, I can finally make a report based on the last fix that solved the landing struts issue.

In the skirmish editor, the only issue I've got so far is that only the flight lead will close sfoils before entering hyperspace after the mission is complete.
Image Image Image Image Image

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Hmmm just played a small skirmish with 6 other x-wings after they destroyed a starship, I managed to see at least two of the xwings close there S-Foils before hypering out
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Yea, its not consistent, if any stragglers enter hyperspace late (not with the leader), they seem to close theirs. At least in one of my observations.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Ah I see what you mean I added 6 Bwings and only one closed it's wings while the others where open when hypering
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm

WIP
Darksaber wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:04 pm
I know you have don't a lot but I have one more suggestion, would it possible with a craft with both S-Foils and Landing Gear, when the S-Foils are in the Open Position, the Landing Gear can not be engaged and a message appears stating "Landing Gear can not be engaged while the S-Foils are in the open position" or " Close S-Foils before engaging Landing Gear".

The same would apply if the Landing Gear was down and you try to open S-Foils a message would appear "S-Foils can not be opened while the Landing Gear is Down" or "Close Landing Gear before engaging S-Foils" something like that.
Added
I've added the "Close S-Foils before engaging Landing Gear" (shown only if the craft has S-Foils) and "Close Landing Gear before engaging S-Foils" (shown only if the craft has Landing Gears).
ual002 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:00 pm
In the skirmish editor, the only issue I've got so far is that only the flight lead will close sfoils before entering hyperspace after the mission is complete.
I will have a look to that.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Cheers mate, I didn't know if it would be possible :D
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:41 pm

WIP

I think I've fixed the issue with the wingmen.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:48 pm

It appears your latest fix did address the wingmen.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Shuttle docking does not appear to fold wings. Probably the same for the "Parked at" order.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm

I'll concur with that :D

Nice spot ual002 :D

Ok then, I've adapted the GT's old VSD1 to open it's S-foils/Wing instead of closing them just so I could test the SFoilsAnimationSpeed, I set it to 3 at first to slow animation right down, when opening the animation is really jerky, I then set it to 2, but even at 2 the opening animation is still jerky

To be honest leaving the SFoilsAnimationSpeed at the default 1 and the speed at 1 wouldn't bother me, but GT asks if the animation could be slowed down, so is there any way to make the slowed down animation smoother?
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:43 am

Two bugs to report.

1. Sounds for sfoils are no longer audible on the X-wing and B-wing at least. Same for Landing struts if there was any.
2. I witnessed a never-ending hyperspace runup by an xwing in skirm after completing all objectives were completed. Just kept going at about a kilometer a second and never despawned.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 am

Darksaber wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm
Ok then, I've adapted the GT's old VSD1 to open it's S-foils/Wing instead of closing them just so I could test the SFoilsAnimationSpeed, I set it to 3 at first to slow animation right down, when opening the animation is really jerky, I then set it to 2, but even at 2 the opening animation is still jerky
Seconded. Ideally the mesh positions would be updated each frame, with the update amount based on the rotation speed and the time since last update (to compensate for variable frame rates), with the rotation speeds simply expressed as floats instead of ints.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:17 pm

WIP

The previous fix for the wingmen didn't work. I think it is fixed now.
I've fixed the sound issue.
Darksaber wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm
To be honest leaving the SFoilsAnimationSpeed at the default 1 and the speed at 1 wouldn't bother me, but GT asks if the animation could be slowed down, so is there any way to make the slowed down animation smoother?
Not currently. The game engine uses integers for the mesh rotation angle values. It is not possible to change that. When the values are converted to radians, they are multiplied by 0.0245436728. So 1 unit means 1.4°.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Ok thanks anyway :D

And for the fix :D
- John Lydgate

Rebelyell
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Rebelyell » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Just a question. Is there a way to delay the actual jump to hyperspace? The animation speed for s-foils seems good but it seems x-wings and b-wings at least tend to jump before the sfoils actually finish closing.