New meshes count limit per opt

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

New meshes count limit per opt

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:29 pm

UPDATE

Hello,
I've updated the opt limit hook.

The meshes count limit of 50 meshes per opt is now broken. The new limit is now 254 meshes per opt.

I've updated the mission objects hook, the pilot hook and the sfoils hook to support the new limit.

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:51 am

This sounds like a big deal. Would anyone be able to explain how this might impact newer models going forward?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:59 am

A lot more control and the ability to finetune models with many components such as turrets or additional details.
This allows for new options in performance optimization without sacrificing detail - or make big models more detailed without sacrificing performance.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Thank you Jeremy! One step closer to Fractal Sponge.net quality models. Well not quite. :-)
Last edited by Bman on Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:41 am

UPDATE

Hello,

I've fixed a bug with the meshes count limit. There was a few missing offsets.

To use default values for the meshes count limit, set "MeshesCount = 0".

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 pm

UPDATE

Hello,

I've added settings to control whether meshes handle collisions.

Suppose that the craft is "FlightModels\[Model].opt".
To define whether a mesh in an opt handles collisions, create a file named "FlightModels\[Model]MeshesCollisions.txt" or create a section named "[MeshesCollisions]" in "FlightModels\[Model].ini".

The format is
MeshCollision = default value
MeshCollision_XXX = value

value is 1 or 0.
XXX is the mesh index.
The default value for the MeshCollision setting is 1.
The default value for the MeshCollision_XXX setting is the value of the MeshCollision setting.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:12 am

Thanks Jeremy. Question, If value = 1, would that keep AI starfighters and other craft from bumping along the hull of starships and platform stations and flying through larger ships ?

I can see this being useful for Atmosphere projects, cloud skyboxes. Putting .opt sizes and PFS issues aside, this could work with making small planet.opts with multiple nested sphere meshes so you fly into different textured atmosphere levels and then maybe get down to a low orbit like Bespin City. Transitioning to ground level, not sure how that would work, unless a huge model was used.

Another application perhaps -- launching from sea bases or diving into ocean meshes with animated textures via ddraw effects. Battle at the Imperial Inqusitor Fortress, Kamino, Naboo, or Mon Calamari home world. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.