Shuttles parked with wings closed

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Shuttles parked with wings closed

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:29 am

I wanted to start a conversation on shuttles parked with their wings closed and is it possible to have them do that because we see it in that state when it leaves a hanger so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Blazingfirestorm on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:48 am

You're talking about the "Parked at" or "Orbit" condition as displayed by AlliED editor for a given mission file. I would say this condition or status would somehow have to be linked back to the S-Foils hook in order to work for craft with folding meshes.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Originally, ships would not close their s-foils before entering Hyperspace.

I believe Jeremy was able to tie the s-foils hook into the order "Hypering out of area", so that ships would have their s-foils closed while executing that order.

The hook also has options to disable s-foils closing for craft executing the one order that by default closed them in the unmodded game - entering the hangar.

If the hook can be tied to specific orders, it should be possible to tie it to the "Parked" order too. I've thought about suggesting this before, and to be honest I'm actually surprised it hasn't already been discussed as an option. It would definitely make those Shuttles parked at the Repair Yard in B0M7 and inside the Space Colony 2 during the Tydirium mission (B6M5) look way better.

@JeremyaFr, what do you think? Easily done or is this a different situation from Hypering out of area?
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:30 am

The Tydirium Mission is a tough one to crack.

I had hoped to fix it way back by having the S-Foils hook modified so that Launching/Returning ships close their S-Foils between the InsideHangar (Spawn/Despawn) and the OutsideHangar ("Action") hardpoints. However with the Tydirium mission, the shuttles and Landing Craft just use use the Wait or Hold Steady order, which is used in numerous other missions independently from any station being nearby.

@JeremyaFr Could the S-Foils animation be triggered just by being in the proximity of the Outside/InsideHangar hardpoints, regardless of any link to a station through arrival/departures/orders?
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:12 pm

Hello,
I think all these ideas may be doable. I will take a look.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:07 pm

What about this idea.

If Jeremy can make the park order tied to a line of code in the ini that tells the engine if the park order should fold its sfoils... IE

EXAMPLESHIP.INI

ParkOrderSfoilClose = 1

(and for good measure)
DockOrderSfoilClose = 1
PickupOrderSfoilClose = 1

Then redesign that space station opt to have Park hardpoints inside, the mission editor can go thru and place its waypoints to get to the spot and then when it reaches the park point it folds and sets down.

I think allied allows you to choose specific park hard points on its target ship for the order.

The only issue is that the ship might fly thru the opening of the space station with its wings open, so the trigger based on proximity might ensure they get closed before entering the "magcon" field"

Either way, a ParkOrderSfoilClose = 1, and DockOrderSfoilClose = 1, and PickupOrderSfoilClose = 1 would still be great for external park points and ships that do dockings/pickups

That also makes me wonder if a parked ship will travel with a moving host...
Image Image Image Image Image

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:17 am

Besides the "Park At" also include the "(Orbit)" and "Board To...." orders?
Last edited by Bman on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm

WIP

Hello,
Here is a WIP version of the sfoils hook.

When a craft is parked, the S-Foils will be closed.

EDIT: link removed

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:46 pm

:D :D :D :D

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:55 pm

I will experiment to make sure it functions, but if it does, I would recommend it be an INI setting in the ships ini, maybe not all ships with sfoils will want them closed on parking. Same with docking.

Freedom of opter choice is always important. Will report back a little later.

ArrowLoop
Galactic Empire

Post by ArrowLoop » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Is there consideration for say for instance where a Shuttle would jump to hyperspace with S-Foils open, but something like an X-Wing would jump to hyperspace with S-Foils closed? I know thats different than parking, and maybe that already exists.
Last edited by ArrowLoop on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:45 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm
WIP
Hello,
Hi @JeremyaFr The hook still has some issues if they can be even worked out.
The parked shuttles Sfoils are closed which is good. Trouble is they never open after it leaves the parked spot.
So the Shuttle keeps its S-foils closed until it leaves the region, even going into hyperspace.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:45 pm

ArrowLoop wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:25 pm
Is there consideration for say for instance where a Shuttle would jump to hyperspace with S-Foils open, but something like an X-Wing would jump to hyperspace with S-Foils closed? I know thats different than parking, and maybe that already exists.
Yes that already exists. There's a setting called
CloseSFoilsInHyperspace = 0 or 1
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:45 pm
JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm
WIP
Hello,
Hi @JeremyaFr The hook still has some issues if they can be even worked out.
The parked shuttles Sfoils are closed which is good. Trouble is they never open after it leaves the parked spot.
So the Shuttle keeps its S-foils closed until it leaves the region, even going into hyperspace.
I can confirm this behavior, I set the park order on a shuttle (which I was thinking was tied to a hardpoint on another opt btw, am I doing this wrong?) then its followed by a circle waypoints order which should be wings open, followed by a a fly home order (which on the shuttle is also set to hyper with the sfoils open, as per the CloseSFoilsInHyperspace = 0 setting in the shuttle ini).

So yes, they close for park, but do not reopen.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:29 pm

While we continue to troubleshoot the end to the park order sfoil reopen trigger, I had an idea to expand my other ideas for to add in the ships ini [SFoils] section, while the following would be good,

ParkOrderSfoilClose = 1
DockOrderSfoilClose = 1
PickupOrderSfoilClose = 1

I was thinking that since the Circle Waypoints order ignores targets, what do you guys think about a line in the ini for...

CircleWaypointOrderSfoilClose = 1

That way when Bwings, Xwings, uwings and the like are patrolling, they keep keep the sfoils closed (if we set =1 in the ini)
And shuttles and so on would stay open unless landing so they would be set different.

One of my biggest issues with the game is that you couldn't lock sfoils in the attack position if you were the only one ever in the un-attack position. With this change you could patrol with your xwing leader, and watch his sfoils open when he transitions from Circle Waypoints to attack orders.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:39 pm

WIP

I've added a ParkOrderSFoilsClosed setting:
To close the S-Foils when the craft is parked, set the ParkOrderSFoilsClosed setting. To enable, set "1". To disable, set "0". The default value is "0".

Now the s-foils reopen when the craft is no longer parked.

EDIT: link removed

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:07 pm

ParkOrderSFoilsClosed = 1 works as intended. Thank you sir.

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:08 pm

nice work
:applaus:

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 pm

Just tested a few other ships and the functionality.

I did notice odd behavior with the slave one Opt. same for the Bwing Opt

It seems in order to be placed correctly in the hangar with its strange elevation/rotational animation, it has a setting of the following in its INI.

;Slaveone.ini
[Size]
ClosedSFoilsElevation = 25
ClosedSFoilsElevationInverted = 25

;bwing.ini
[Size]
ClosedSFoilsElevation = 60
ClosedSFoilsElevationInverted = 60

However, unlike the other opts, I'm guessing the "floor" level is computed differently in the flight portion of the engine because any slaveones or bwings I placed on platforms are sitting high above the platform level.

Any thoughts?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Sorry for the double post, additionally there is some rotational behavior I cant quite understand as well. This video details the "landing" height behavior on the slave one and Bwing, as well as a strange rotational issue.

When lifting off from the park point, it appears the ships do almost a 180 turn away from the station before unfolding and moving on to the next order. That's fine, but most of the ships also seem to encounter a roll as well as yaw directly proportional to the crafts maneuverability. This includes to a degree the imperial shuttle (not shown). HOWEVER, the Sentinel Imperial Landing Craft does not seem to encounter this problem at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp2-IaH ... =youtu.be

In this second test of the Gunboat missileboat and Uwing, it appears the missileboat also only yaws while the other two yaw and rotate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZzv3vrCR-4

My guess is that the engine is using the "Dockto####" hardpoints within the opt itself to determine what the underside of the ship is. I'm guessing that is why the Firespray and Bwing are so wonky, to accomidate the drastic change in the geometry of the ship.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:31 am

Ace is saying that Battle 0, Mission 7 in stock XWA is not functioning correctly though. I will have to test that in a little bit.

From what I gather, craft are coming to park at strange roll angles if the order is used later in a FGs orders list, he is also saying the wings fold but do not unfold in those situations.

Edit:

Stock XWA Battle 0 Mission 7, region 2 there are two shuttles parked at the repair yard, because their second order is triggered by a jump to order trigger, the shuttles never get the queue to unfold their wings.

I'm starting to sense Ace was right, this might be a MUCH larger can of worms we opened than we originally thought. If the park order is interrupted it never gets the queue to unfold wings, I imagine the same would be for any other variation if implemented, Docking, Item pickup and so on.

I think we lucked out with the hyper to region sfoil functionality because that order can not be interrupted by a jump to order trigger.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:28 pm

love the vids, that would be awesome if they could be worked out as it already looks good.

Trev

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm

UPDATE

Hello,
I've merged the changes from the WIP version into the stable version.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:43 pm

So thanks to Jeremy we've pushed this Hook to a final one.
But for now we are not going to enable it in XWAU craft. We may put the commands into place on some but disabled.
This is because of the problems mentioned earlier. It only works correctly on some missions if those missions are edited so that they progress to the right orders and the wings open correctly.

So until either all the relevant missions are checked and corrected we don't want ships flying about with S-foils closed lol
If anyone wants to look at those or point out exactly which Missions use Parked commands then that would be useful. :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 pm

Hello,
The park order is used in these missions:

1B0M1FW - YT-1300 Transport - Selu
1B0M2FW - Ferryboat Liner - B.T. Express
1B0M2FW - Luxury Yacht - Kayleigh's Dream
1B0M3FW - YT-1300 Transport - Selu
1B0M3FW - Modified Action Transport - Big Score