Email body window scroll bar

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Email body window scroll bar

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:43 pm

I'm trying to add a bunch of emails to the TFTC, and I tend to be a little verbose, I'm over here trying to format an excel doc with cell sizes, wrap text and a whole bunch of formulas to replicate the size of the in game viewing window so I can edit emails while I am away from my home PC, IE A lunch work break.
I realized without having the XWA font and text sizing I'm only making rough guesses here.
I was gonna ask if anyone knew what the default in game (frontend) font is, and if it could be changed, maybe to something a little more space friendly.
But then I realized I'm overengineering the solution to my problem.

The simple solution would be to see if a scroll bar could be added to the email text body window, so it doesn't cut off the text past about 700 characters.

Thoughts?
Image Image Image Image Image

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 am

Are the e-mails based on the mission number played ? Like 9 . . .
I'm not sure how many message lines you can add per mission, but I would assume it's limited to 255 characters, unformated text. Didn't know it could go to 700. Notepad is showing me it's Consolas Font, Regular, at font size 11. Not sure where that's defined.

!EMAIL_0_MSG1! i.e. 255 characters here.
!EMAIL_0_MSG2! i.e. 255 characters here.
!EMAIL_0_MSG6! i.e. 255 characters here.
!EMAIL_0_MSGN! i.e. 255 characters here.

If you can find JM Dare's website from the Wayback Internet Archive via DS's website, he probably researched all of this information on the game e-mails. Although some of his writings are sort of now obsolete.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:44 pm

Bman wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 am
Notepad is showing me it's Consolas Font, Regular, at font size 11. Not sure where that's defined.
That's just the default font for Notepad itself, has nothing do do with anything. The file with the text is Missions\EMAIL.TXT.

The fonts should be Resdata\FONTS.DAT. There's three in there, size 12, 26, and 10. Would need to do something similar to how YOGEME does the briefing officer preview, with displaying the message by drawing the graphics in sequence.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt