Changing hyperspace speed of AI ships

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Changing hyperspace speed of AI ships

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:10 pm

Something I've always wondered is if its possible to alter the speed of the hyperspace jumps AI ships make so its more accurate to how its normally depicted in SW (that being almost an instantaneous jump). I'm not sure how the game behaviour will respond to it since they normally just glide in for a few seconds before stopping, or likewise gracefully speed up before despawning, but I do wonder if its possible to achieve.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:58 pm

AngeI wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:10 pm
Something I've always wondered is if its possible to alter the speed of the hyperspace jumps AI ships make so its more accurate to how its normally depicted in SW (that being almost an instantaneous jump). I'm not sure how the game behaviour will respond to it since they normally just glide in for a few seconds before stopping, or likewise gracefully speed up before despawning, but I do wonder if its possible to achieve.
Yes this has come up before and I did some messing with it with help from Jeremy and @blue_max. There will be a topic here somewhere.
You can extend the hyperspace sequence in I think it was 5 or 10 second amounts but it has some issues.
One the animation needed some tuning, that was done easily I think. The wave sound stops after it's played too.

The main issue is everything carries on it real time. So if a mission sound was set to play 15 seconds after you left then it would play even if you were in hyperspace.
Also some other events like that. I can't remember if it affected the wingmen AI or not.
So you would find when you exited Hyperspace the mission would have gone on without you. That's not a big issue for custom missions but tricky and it means the entire XWA campaign would need editing.

I would love though if we could have a longer hyper jump, even just on the way to the mission end or something. The 5 seconds ish we get now is too short.

EDIT I misread your post. You want them to snap into a region. Yeah that would be great too.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:12 pm

Yes, it would be great if it was configurable, and auto looped/cut the sound of hyperspace depending on length. I could see several uses for story telling with a marginally extended hyperspace trip
Image Image Image Image Image

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm

ual002 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:12 pm
Yes, it would be great if it was configurable, and auto looped/cut the sound of hyperspace depending on length. I could see several uses for story telling with a marginally extended hyperspace trip
You may be misunderstanding me, I'm not talking about the Hyperspace tunnel to transition between regions, I'm only talking about the way other ships behave when they hyper in or out.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:36 pm

Yeah that's something I've been thinking about myself every now and then. Hmmm last thing I remember was that there's sort-of a maximum possible speed. I think you cannot go faster than 999 MGLT, which is about the speed ships go when hypering in and out.

I did some testing on that once and the moment ships go beyond 999, they drop back to 900 and start again from there.

Needless to say if it WERE possible to adjust the jump speed, that would be fantastic IMO.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 pm

oh, to have them snap in, I follow
Image Image Image Image Image

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:05 pm

While we're already daydreaming, the most awesome thing would be if the jump-in could be connected to that thump or bang-sound as it's heard throughout the saga and series.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:28 pm

Vince T wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:36 pm
Yeah that's something I've been thinking about myself every now and then. Hmmm last thing I remember was that there's sort-of a maximum possible speed. I think you cannot go faster than 999 MGLT, which is about the speed ships go when hypering in and out.

I did some testing on that once and the moment ships go beyond 999, they drop back to 900 and start again from there.

Needless to say if it WERE possible to adjust the jump speed, that would be fantastic IMO.
So in theory it would be a case of breaking the 999 MGLT limit @JeremyaFr is that possible? And does that translate to ships entering or exiting hyperspace?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:57 pm

Hello,

To reduce the time before entering hyperspace, you can try this patch:

Code: Select all

// Into Hyperspace time
At offset 0AE389, replace 7309 with EB09.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:13 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:57 pm
Hello,

To reduce the time before entering hyperspace, you can try this patch:

Code: Select all

// Into Hyperspace time
At offset 0AE389, replace 7309 with EB09.
Hi @JeremyaFr just to clarify, this is not to do with the Player entering, travelling or exiting hyperspace. This is purely to do with AI ships and how they enter/exit hyperpspace visually. So when a ship arrives for example, it comes in at 999MGLT then slows down gracefully to its normal speed after a few seconds. The same is true in reverse when entering hyperspace. What I was proposing was to make this more like the movies/series where the jump is near instananeous visually speaking.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:06 pm

Basically it would require the hyper-in/out speed to be increased ten to twenty-fold, breaking the speed limit.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 am

. . . then hitting the breaks as soon as craft enters new region. I think having AI craft hypering away albeit a shorter gradual jump 1-2.5 seconds would still be nice so you would see it's engine glows kick into high gear.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.