XWAUP: Dynamic Cockpits

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: XWAUP: Dynamic Cockpits

Bunny Punch
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Bunny Punch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 pm

hitting the download section in 3..2..1..!!!

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:47 pm

I'm surprised that Ace did not put it in the news on the main page
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 am

Nice!

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 am

The alternative landing gear meshes for the AG... credit goes to Darksaber (T.D.) as he made these in the past. They can be used via the ship's .ini file; otherwise the newer version is loaded by default. Enjoy.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:39 am

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:53 pm
Excellent!

While i'm not fan of holographics display, it's some fine work there!
Hello,

Thank you Blue Max for this new ship and functionnality! The progress is on the way!

Howevere me too i am not fan of the holographics screen.
We have the chance with dynamic cockpit to add all HUD element into the cockpit. Sad we must place it in holoscreen especially in the front.
But i know it was not easy too integrated it.
Thanks to have give the option to remove it easily with key map.

PunkFriday
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by PunkFriday » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:00 pm

the second the next full pack comes out i can't wait to install these! it's going to be amazing

Kriegmacher
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Kriegmacher » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 am

These cockpits coupled with the new effects and backdrops are fantastic! However, I suddenly find myself unable to fly or aim competently. Is that a result of lower FPS, or perhaps the "dynamic" nature of the cockpit camera now? Or does it also change ship AI? It feels like enemies are suddenly far more evasive and trying to engage a turn war despite my own speed and/or tactics, despite the AI package level I select. In short, I feel far less maneuverable with this mod loaded. Is that a framerate issue?

I know about the Ctrl+F trick to widen the FOV, but was not being able to see the targeting computers when pulling back on the stick intentional? It's impossible to see your target's shield and hull strength when the camera is drifting up during a maneuver. I didn't read all 5 pages of comments here, but is that an issue that requires the hacker program to solve?

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 am

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I can not believe this is the same engine that ran the game back in '99. What you've all done here is essentially a miracle. That being said, I'm glad you're working to improve FPS because these new additions can seriously tank the experience.
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Kriegmacher wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 am
These cockpits coupled with the new effects and backdrops are fantastic! However, I suddenly find myself unable to fly or aim competently. Is that a result of lower FPS, or perhaps the "dynamic" nature of the cockpit camera now? Or does it also change ship AI? It feels like enemies are suddenly far more evasive and trying to engage a turn war despite my own speed and/or tactics, despite the AI package level I select. In short, I feel far less maneuverable with this mod loaded. Is that a framerate issue?
There was no change in the logic of the game or ship maneuverability. I don't know if you're experiencing FPS problems (you didn't mention what was your framerate), but it seems to me that part of the problem here is that the cockpit inertia may not be helping with the aiming. Cockpit inertia does not change the position of the aiming reticle, so as long as you keep your eyes on the reticle, there should be no change there either.

Here's what you can try: open CockpitLook.cfg and set the following:

cockpit_inertia_enabled = 0

See if that helps with the aiming problem.

Kriegmacher
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Kriegmacher » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:08 am

blue_max wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 pm
Kriegmacher wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 am
There was no change in the logic of the game or ship maneuverability. I don't know if you're experiencing FPS problems (you didn't mention what was your framerate), but it seems to me that part of the problem here is that the cockpit inertia may not be helping with the aiming. Cockpit inertia does not change the position of the aiming reticle, so as long as you keep your eyes on the reticle, there should be no change there either.

Here's what you can try: open CockpitLook.cfg and set the following:

cockpit_inertia_enabled = 0

See if that helps with the aiming problem.
Thanks for the cfg tip, that definitely resolved my issues with camera movement inside the cockpit. But I still feel like I've lost a lot of skill since installing these mods. A lot of my shots feel like they're going right through craft, like the hitboxes have gotten much smaller and/or the AI has gotten much smarter. That's almost certainly a framerate problem, right? Is there an ingame FPS monitor? Because running a performance monitor in the background is almost certainly going to lower my framerate even further.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:02 am

Kriegmacher wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:08 am
Thanks for the cfg tip, that definitely resolved my issues with camera movement inside the cockpit. But I still feel like I've lost a lot of skill since installing these mods. A lot of my shots feel like they're going right through craft, like the hitboxes have gotten much smaller and/or the AI has gotten much smarter. That's almost certainly a framerate problem, right? Is there an ingame FPS monitor? Because running a performance monitor in the background is almost certainly going to lower my framerate even further.
I'm almost sure the AI hasn't been touched, but if you installed new craft, there's a small chance that the hit boxes may be off. One way to tell is to create a simple skirmish mission with some enemies without any orders. Just get them to sit still while you take shots at them. If you see any lasers going through them while they are standing still, then it's a problem with the hitboxes and we need to fix that.

I use GeForce Experience and that shows an FPS overlay on top of the game. The impact of running it is negligible. I expect other FPS monitors will have almost no impact in performance either.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 pm

Dynamic Cockpits have come a long way in a short while. Things we said weren't possible a year ago now are and more!!
I'll be posting another topic soon talking about some of the other new amazing things that have come from the mind of @blue_max!

Never one to stop inventing Mr Max has another new addition to the Dynamic Cockpits. This time it's an animated Throttle Bar!
The game usually displays the throttle as a single number (0-100%).
I'm converting this information into a bar that can be used as a DC element and blended into the cockpit.
Here's a WIP version of it in an X-Wing Cockpit. The final version will be very different to this but it gives you some idea of how a throttle bar can be used.

Thanks to Blue Max for once again pushing the limits of the effects. :)
Look for this feature to be used in our next release on the B-Wing, X-Wing and more!
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:25 pm

now that looks awsome :)

Trev

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:27 am

Ooo, cool!

Muahaha
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Muahaha » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:49 am

I have been a fan of larger FOV when flying, have been toggling to wider FOV everytime I am in a craft that allows it. Is there a configuration setting that I can change to allow wider FOV to be the default view rather than toggling it every time mission starts?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:45 am

Muahaha wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:49 am
I have been a fan of larger FOV when flying, have been toggling to wider FOV everytime I am in a craft that allows it. Is there a configuration setting that I can change to allow wider FOV to be the default view rather than toggling it every time mission starts?
There isn't a switch that allows you to start with the large FOV by default (although, that's a good idea, I'll see if I can implement it later). However, what you can do is open the *.dc files in your DynamicCockpit directory. You'll find lines that look like this:

Code: Select all

xwahacker_fov = 86.5
xwahacker_large_fov = 100.0
Simply set both parameters to the larger value (100.0 in this case) and then you'll get the larger FOV all the time. You'll have to do this for all the *.dc files in that path, but this is a one-time-only thing.

Muahaha
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Muahaha » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:27 pm

blue_max wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:45 am
Muahaha wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:49 am
There isn't a switch that allows you to start with the large FOV by default (although, that's a good idea, I'll see if I can implement it later). However, what you can do is open the *.dc files in your DynamicCockpit directory. You'll find lines that look like this:

Code: Select all

xwahacker_fov = 86.5
xwahacker_large_fov = 100.0
Simply set both parameters to the larger value (100.0 in this case) and then you'll get the larger FOV all the time. You'll have to do this for all the *.dc files in that path, but this is a one-time-only thing.
This is great, will test it out. Appreciate it.

ambivert1970
Recruit

Post by ambivert1970 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:30 pm

It was mentioned that these dynamic cockpits were available from the download page, but I can't find any links. Where can I go to download latest versions?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:53 pm

ambivert1970 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:30 pm
It was mentioned that these dynamic cockpits were available from the download page, but I can't find any links. Where can I go to download latest versions?
Everything is included now in the mega patch 2020 downloads
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

ambivert1970
Recruit

Post by ambivert1970 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:35 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly. Excellent news.

Azralul
Recruit

Post by Azralul » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:34 pm

This mods is really fantastic to use in VR.

Nonetheless I have somme trouble using it : I don't know what button is doing what, and I didn't find any guide which will explain what icon is linked to what action. Does such document exist ?

Also, it is possible to remap the select action (space by default ?) to an other key ?

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Sadly it's not possible to remap keys in XWA. The game just doesn't allow this.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Azralul wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:34 pm
This mods is really fantastic to use in VR.

Nonetheless I have somme trouble using it : I don't know what button is doing what, and I didn't find any guide which will explain what icon is linked to what action. Does such document exist ?

Also, it is possible to remap the select action (space by default ?) to an other key ?
Glad to read you are enjoying it in VR.
For the controls, either you remap a lot of buttons to your HOTAS if you have one, or maybe consider using voice activated controls with something like Voice Attack.

Also the old "peeking through the nose gap to find the keys" works 😁

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:57 pm

Azralul wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:34 pm
Most of the symbols in the cockpit aren't icons, they're letters but in an Aurebesh-like font. So it's just like pressing the corresponding key on your keyboard, but you press them on the 3D cockpit instead. The choice of the Spacebar is simple: it's the largest key on the keyboard and it's easy to find even when the VR headset is on. It's also used to "accept" a number of commands already. I'm curious, if you don't like using the Spacebar, what would you like to use instead?

For they key mapping others have already answered: the mapping is fixed, but you can see it in the official XWA guide.

Azralul
Recruit

Post by Azralul » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:10 pm

Thx for the quick answer ! :)
blue_max wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:57 pm
I'm curious, if you don't like using the Spacebar, what would you like to use instead?
My desktop is small and the keyboard not easely accessible when i play with my joystick. Often in the rush of event i miss the key and.. well result is always surpising xD If I could, I woumd bind it on one of my joystick buttons !