XWAUP: Dynamic Cockpits

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: XWAUP: Dynamic Cockpits

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:35 pm

It's fine on GOG installer...

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

SharpEdge
Cadet 4th Class

Post by SharpEdge » Sat May 09, 2020 7:38 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:35 am
SharpEdge, it looks like a bit error in the cockpit POV y-coordinate to me. You could try uninstalling and redownloading/reinstalling the dynamic cockpits pack, or if you're feeling adventurous, get & run MXvTED, browse to the TIE fighter, and post a screenshot of the cockpit tab. That should provide the info needed to tell if there was any error during download or installation for this cockpit.

By the way, is it just the TIE Fighter, or also other craft that are doing this? And, you're not using VR/TrackIR, are you?

To the first point, let me ask to save some time for myself when I get around to it. Do the cockpit installers themselves have an uninstall option or do I have to find and remove the files manually?

To the second point, it's just the TIE Fighters. All the Rebel Fighters, X,Y,A,B, seem perfect, and I installed them at the same time, Rebel First then Imperial. No Track IR. I did select that "Better view point" option for the X-wing as well.

A third point though, is it normal to not quite see the MFD on the bottom in the Rebel Ships? I don't mind that as they aren't particularly useful, and if I do set up Track IR someday I wouldn't mind looking down at them.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 09, 2020 7:47 pm

SharpEdge wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:38 pm
To the first point, let me ask to save some time for myself when I get around to it. Do the cockpit installers themselves have an uninstall option or do I have to find and remove the files manually?
To the second point, it's just the TIE Fighters. All the Rebel Fighters, X,Y,A,B, seem perfect, and I installed them at the same time, Rebel First then Imperial. No Track IR. I did select that "Better view point" option for the X-wing as well.
A third point though, is it normal to not quite see the MFD on the bottom in the Rebel Ships? I don't mind that as they aren't particularly useful, and if I do set up Track IR someday I wouldn't mind looking down at them.
Backup folder is "Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\Backup\2020-THE DATE INSTALLED_TieDynCockpits v1.0"
Copy the files back over the new ones. You can run the installer again and it will try to reinstall them and will create another backup folder.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:44 am

dhollinger3 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:22 pm
Anyone run into any issues with the dynamic cockpits where text isn't showing and sensors are blank?

Screenshot from 2020-05-09 13-19-18.png

XWA Steam
XWAUP 1.6
EffectsByBlueMax latest files from May 07, 2020
RebelDynamicCockpits v2.0

NOTE: This is running via Steam Proton
I was able to get this fixed by rolling back to EffectsByBlueMax v1.1.2

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Sun May 10, 2020 7:26 am

It was unintentional and is already fixed: viewtopic.php?p=167127#p167127

After (re)installing 1.1.3 replace the ddraw.dll with the new one.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun May 10, 2020 2:26 pm

The TIEs look absolutely fantastic. Bravo.
Image Image Image Image Image

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat May 16, 2020 7:48 pm

So I'm pretty sure I saw someone post about a similar issue, but I can't seem to find it again.

In any case, I appear to have some HUD leftover in my DC. See the screen below. I have this on every DC, be it the Y-wing, RZ-1/RZ-2 A-Wing, X-wing or B-wing.

Any idea on how I can fix this?
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat May 16, 2020 9:32 pm

Replace the Hud.dat in the resdata folder with the original, your using korekwerner's version he released sometime ago, it had bigger Hud elements
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat May 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:32 pm
Replace the Hud.dat in the resdata folder with the original, your using korekwerner's version he released sometime ago, it had bigger Hud elements
Forgot about that, ty DS :)

Sevain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sevain » Sun May 24, 2020 9:30 am

These cockpits are great. The green background of the Y-Wing targeting computer does make it hard to read green text on the screen, such as names of some hyperbyous. Is there some way to turn that down to black, or to increase the contrast of text?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue May 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Sevain wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:30 am
These cockpits are great. The green background of the Y-Wing targeting computer does make it hard to read green text on the screen, such as names of some hyperbyous. Is there some way to turn that down to black, or to increase the contrast of text?
(Already answered in page 2):

Open DynamicCockpit\YWingCockpit.dc and find the line that says TARGETING_COMPUTER_SRC. Change the last number to 0x0 to make the background black, like so:

uv_coords = TARGETING_COMPUTER_SRC, 0,128, 256,0; 0x0

LordHelmet
Recruit

Post by LordHelmet » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Hey guys, I just saw the new trailer for the Tie Fighter Total Conversion this morning and it gave me total chills. Looks incredible, and major props to everyone involved!

Just one thing I'm curious about -- ever since I was a kid watching the original trilogy, there was one distinctive little detail that made flying a Tie Fighter look like so much fun: lining up the little red outline of your enemy's ship in the crosshairs like Darth Vader ("I have you now!"). The new dynamic cockpits look great, like you're in the movie, so I'm wondering if there's a way make the craft images in the targeting computer render in that red wireframe style like in the films?
TieScreen.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:44 pm

If you haven't already then check out this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12613

It would be cool but the targeting system is not advanced enough to render wireframes.
The way the Cockpit target display in the centre works right now is close enough.
The new Reticles will give you the other missing part of immersion. I can tell you from my testing they are very nice.

LordHelmet
Recruit

Post by LordHelmet » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 pm

Yeah, I've seen those new reticles, which are really cool. I suppose there are some things the engine will let you change, and some things that are pretty much hard-coded into the game? I've seen footage of the XWVM project where they recreated the wireframe look in the targeting computer. I'm guessing they've done some pretty extensive recoding to achieve that? Or is that a total rebuild from the ground up?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:54 pm

I know little of that but that's a whole engine rebuild not running off XWA.
We have pushed the XWA engine very far as it is. Almost to the point where it starts lagging in places.
A lot of the game system runs of purely images. The hud screen is essentially a series of PNGs. So there's no way to impose 3D stuff into that.
The centre screen at the bottom of the cockpit is as close as you will get to what you are looking for right now.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:38 pm

A little news!
In the download section you will find some updates. First of all, Effects by Blue Max version 1.1.3.1. This is an upgrade from the previous version, which introduces three new settings:
- New speed effect. No description, just try it!
- A new option to enable the multicore function. This solves the performance problems, which many complained about. You will be happy, but not very happy. Unfortunately, this option resets the old music bug, which some of you may remember. But don't worry. Jeremy is working on it and I'm sure he'll find a way to fix it.
- New settings for your FOV. And that's why this presentation is made here.

You will remember that to better appreciate the dynamic cockpits of the TIE Fighters I suggested to modify your FOV (Field of View) using xwahacker. Rightly, not everyone was excited to change the FOV they were used to! So, with the collaboration of Blue Max, we thought of a way to please everyone. Effects by Blue Max version 1.1.3.1 allows you to easily choose your favorite FOV during the flight. The magic key is CTRL+F
If you know the Sturmovick IL-2 combat simulator you will know what I'm talking about. Two predetermined FOVs: normal view and enlarged view. The enlarged one is very useful in combat to broaden your visual spectrum. For those who have not understood, some example images:

NORMAL FOV
X-Wing_Orig.jpg
ENLARGED FOV
X-Wing_FOV.jpg
Use CTRL+F to switch between the two default FOVs

This option required a little change in the installer of dynamic cokpits, so in the download section you will find the Rebel Dynamic Cockpits Version 2.1
Download and install it to enjoy this new feature. The Z-95 installer has also been updated to version 5.2.

Going back to the TIE Fighter cockpits: they have all been modified slightly, to improve the view towards the outside. Now that you can change your FOV while flying,we don't need to compromise anymore. Download and install Tie Fighter Dynamic Cockpits Version 2.0

NORMAL FOV
TF_NoHUD.jpg
LARGE FOV
TF_LargeFov.jpg
Again, use CTRL+F to switch between the two default FOVs

If you had made any changes, don't forget to use xwahacker to restore your old FOV value (86.30) if you want to go back to the old view.
I hope you like them! Thanks to everyone for their support in developing these new features!
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed images

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 pm

LordHelmet wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 pm
I've seen footage of the XWVM project where they recreated the wireframe look in the targeting computer.
That effect is achieved with an edge-detection shader that I'm told required a lot of tinkering to get looking right. (It's not "wireframe". You can take a look at the wireframe view in XwaOptEditor to see why wireframe doesn't look right at all.) The look they were going for is a combination of Vader's targeting computer (as you posted) and the Executor's scan of the Tydirium in RotJ, keeping the look of the original x-wing CMD ID mode in mind.

I think it could (maybe, possibly) be done in XWA if the basic CMD camera info could be intercepted and rendered with a similar edge-detection shader in lieu of the regular shader, but I don't know enough about the innards to know whether it's possible.
DTM wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:38 pm
A little news! <snip>
Nice! I haven't tested it yet, but it sounds like it would be a bit like having the VR/headtracking ability to lean forward to get a better look at the console (or out the TIE viewport) available in conventional play (although it's FOV that's changing, not camera position). Are the FOVs defined in configuration files?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Just to add a little to DTM's post. These cockpits work perfectly right from the install.
You do need to install the latest Effects update first though.
There is no longer any need to use xwahacker to modify your game. The original settings from the XWAUCP work fine with these cockpits. Everything lines up brilliantly.
As he points out if you had made any changes already you may want to to use xwahacker to restore your old FOV value (86.30). So that nothing else looks wrong.

CTRL+F can alter the FOV this only works with Dynamic Cockpits and not every cockpit. The setting is remembered you don't need to alter it each time.
Although you shouldn't need to alter it at all really unless you really want to.

The setting is saved in the DC file, for example TieFighterCockpit.dc and it can be altered in more precise numbers there if you have personal preferences.

Code: Select all

;FIELD OF VIEW
xwahacker_fov = 88.0
xwahacker_large_fov = 95.5
Just the HUD Reticle to come and you will have all the perfect lovely evil goodness to fly around in :D

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:18 pm

Here are the images for the Rebel Cockpits

A-wing NORMAL FOV
A-Wing_Orig.jpg
ENLARGED FOV
A-Wing_FOV.jpg
B-wing NORMAL FOV
B-Wing_Orig.jpg
ENLARGED FOV
B-Wing_FOV.jpg
Y-wing NORMAL FOV
Y-Wing_Orig.jpg
ENLARGED FOV
Y-Wing_FOV.jpg
X-wing NORMAL FOV
X-Wing_Orig.jpg
ENLARGED FOV
X-Wing_FOV.jpg
Z-95 NORMAL FOV
Z-95_Orig.jpg
ENLARGED FOV
Z-95_FOV.jpg
Everything is available to download now.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing broken images

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:31 am

Just adding a little more detail. The Ctrl+F hotkey that I added cycles between 3 FOVs:

Default FOV, stored in Focal_Length.cfg -> xwahacker_fov -> xwahacker_large_fov

If you don't have a Focal_Length.cfg file, then you might have to press Ctrl+F twice because the Default FOV copies the last FOV applied.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift + Left/Right Arrows will still adjust the current FOV and save it to either Focal_Length or the current DC file.

Also... an edge detection shader, eh? Interesting...

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:56 am

I wonder when we will get the Assault Gunboat and Missile boat will get dynamics cockpits ;)
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:27 am

Or maybe......*shh spoilers sweetie* :D :irre:

I suppose those 2 are next important. Especially for any TIE conversions.
Apart from the Rebel and TIEs though which fighters do people like to use?
Does anyone fly anything else regularly like say a T-wing or heavens forbid an IRD fighter! :shock:

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:10 am

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:56 am
I wonder when we will get the Assault Gunboat and Missile boat will get dynamics cockpits ;)
I actually started working on the Assault Gunboat. So... soon :)

unmarcz
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by unmarcz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:29 am

Hi,
it is possible to download somewhere new or WIP cockpits? I saw on youtube X-wing cockpit V29.0 a I fell in love:-) Same for Y-wing WIP cockpits. Both are from korekwerner... I think. Beautiful work!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:23 am

unmarcz wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:29 am
Hi,
it is possible to download somewhere new or WIP cockpits? I saw on youtube X-wing cockpit V29.0 a I fell in love:-) Same for Y-wing WIP cockpits. Both are from korekwerner... I think. Beautiful work!
Hi. Sorry he is not a member of the XWAUP. Those are his own works and he hasn't shared them yet with people.