Future of the community, XWAU and all the things that were hosted on Darksabers website

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Future of the community, XWAU and all the things that were hosted on Darksabers website

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 am

Just a quick update and request to all. We know and understand that many have questions regarding the future of the community, especially in regards of the all the things that were hosted on Darksabers website.
Unfortunately these things take time to decide and prepare. Note, nothing has been lost permanently. The team has access to everything that was hosted, but we do need to decide on how to best proceed. Please be patient for now. There will be an update from the team once we know how to proceed. PMing individual members wont result in any further information at this point ;)
With all that has happened the team is very busy right now trying to sort it all out. Since we all also have real life to take care of this unfortunately will take a bit to resolve. I will leave the topic open for comments, but don't expect any team members to offer up any additional information until we are ready to make an official announcement.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:47 am

So first up, just want to say quickly to all you guys working on the project and supporting the forums that real life always, always comes first; that internet drama is never worth it; and that everyone here fully supports the team. We've stuck around this game for 20 years, so I'm sure most of us are familiar with patience and are happy to give you guys all the time you need to sort things out.

All things considered, XWAU is in a pretty great place at the moment. My game is running stably and looks great, so I'm happy. You guys don't owe us anything.

Secondly, I understand why you locked the previous announcement, Force. I understood and wanted to respect your request so I didn't bring anything up.

But I also think that news like this is going to affect a community, and people are going to want to vent and discuss things. I think containing that discussion to one thread and letting people air their feelings there and there only is better than trying to stifle discussion and having it bleed into other threads. So I would encourage you to let people use this thread as a means to talk about both the future of the project, and the events that lead us here. The community as a whole is very respectful, and I'm sure leaving this thread open won't result in anything requiring heavy mod intervention. And if it does... well, it's only one thread.

With that in mind, I suppose one question I have is: are there any gaps in responsibility in the team that now need to be filled? Darksaber was an extremely prolific contributor and I know that replacing everything he did can't be easy. I'm absolutely not going to be able to learn to model, texture and opt overnight so offering to do so won't help anyone. But I've been working in tech and programming for six years now, and I know that DS managed all the installers and things like that. Is that something you now need someone to learn? Because that's something that's definitely in my wheelhouse. I know you guys probably already have that covered, but it's just an example of something I can think of where it might help you guys for one or two community members to stand up and contribute.

No expectation on any team member to reply to that, per your comments, Force.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

DTM

Post by DTM » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Thank you for your support. As many know, Darksaber had spoken publicly about his retirement from the project for some time. So we found ourselves prepared for this event. Unfortunately, this transition took place suddenly and in a difficoult way to manage. But as I said, we are not unprepared... :D

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Well you have our support. Even with Squadrons coming, I still play all the xw series and enjoy the xwa mods. In fact, working on content for them in the form of campaigns.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:41 pm

I play this game since the first day and with your great work i started it again from level1.
so it will never die for me
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:14 pm

On my side i'm happy that the project continues.

And while DS retired in a controversial manner, I don't wish any ill will and like Forceflow said in a previous post, I will remember the good moments instead, and thanks him for everything he did for the project.
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Ditto…. Rookie_One1..

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Well I'm glad the project continues. To be honest, I would expect nothing less from this great team.

Really sucks things had to go down the way they did though.
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:22 pm

What has happened came out of the blue and I'm sad that events led to this happening.

That being said XWA editing is bigger than one person and still alive and kicking.
The XWAU is still here and 2020 is shaping up to be a brilliant sorta 20 years celebration.
There are new ships already close to completion, old members popping out of the woodwork and lots of new ideas and innovation sparking from crazy minds.

Not to forget other non member projects in the works. For example the TIE Fighter conversion.
I myself will be releasing this year several add-ons that will improve your XWA experience.
I salute all the fellow pilots that have been here since the start or return when they can.
So here's to hopefully another 20 years of Starfighter fun and friendship. đź‘Ť
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:17 pm

I'm also here.
Not all time but always some help.

Regards
KW

Metathrom
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Metathrom » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Don't give up - the project is amazing and helps keep this great game alive and better than ever. I just finished a playthrough of the entire campaign and I'm just baffled by the outstanding work of the XWAU team.

nicopwalker
Recruit

Post by nicopwalker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:30 am

Guys you make a amazing work, i play X-wing Alliance since 1999 and thanks to you, i play until now. Greetings fron South America and let the B-Wing Fly!

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 am

I support the project. Given everything, I still wish DS well in his departure, again, as unfortunate as the events were. He contributed a heck of a lot over the last 20 years and it will not be forgotten.

Thank you to FF, DTM, Jeremy, ACE, Driftwood, Bman, Blue Max, Justagai and many other leaders, official and otherwise, for your constant, active participation and contributions. It's people like you that ease the burden of DS leaving, and without you this game would not be the same. I have a lot of memories and emotions tied up in this engine, and the precursors to it. Its nice to be able to ease into it from time to time, and remind me exactly what caused Star Wars to be such an integral part of my life, and hobbies.

Who's cutting onions? Stahp.
Image Image Image Image Image

FellSkyhawk
Cadet 1st Class

Post by FellSkyhawk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:58 am

Wow! I thought he seemed more bitter than normal, I might post much anymore but I still have been once a month checking in and reading everything. I'm glad at least you guys are making rules for yourselves because I noticed some of the abuse happening but figured you guys were internally handling it.

That all said, when did the installer get corrupted? I didn't see a date and I downloaded all the installers a day or two before his site went down because I got a new computer and I want to make sure I have the pre-bugged installers.
\/'
(>{}{}{]}H[]{=======Fell Skyhawk==========-

Never give up on a friend, never surrender to an enemy.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:45 am

As far as we were able to tell the problem was only with the fixes for the XWACUP and those were only up a few hours on Monday the 15th.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:59 pm

So Forceflow is the XWAUP ok to download?

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Yes, the XWAU Craft Pack 1.6 should be fine, the additional installers should also be fine, though there are a couple of bugs and incompatibilities that we are looking into right now.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks Forceflow for the quick response.... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518

FellSkyhawk
Cadet 1st Class

Post by FellSkyhawk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:20 pm

rogue518 wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:57 pm
Thanks Forceflow for the quick response.... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
Yes, thank you!
\/'
(>{}{}{]}H[]{=======Fell Skyhawk==========-

Never give up on a friend, never surrender to an enemy.

Atruejedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Atruejedi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Logging in for the first time in a long time just to say hi and I hope everything gets sorted out around here. I *want* Squadrons to be good, but I'm cautiously pessimistic... so I'll probably have to come back to the XWA Upgrade to get my fix. Thanks to everyone for all that you have done and continue to do!

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 am

In any case you also have my support, this project is a very good thing. Please do not give up

kikoliko
Recruit

Post by kikoliko » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:48 am

I think that the majority of members take charge of the situation. From my position as a simple user and follower of your work for years, if there is anything I can do to help, here is my hand. Thanks for your work and patience.

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:21 pm

Wow I haven't posting regularly here in a long time but got the word offsite. Such a shame things deteriorated the way they did. Thanks to the current team for keeping things together!
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

MaarekStele
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MaarekStele » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:26 am

Hi guys just returning after a long hiatus when my old PC died around 3 years ago and just wanted to say you've got my support! I missed what happened with Darksaber, sorry to ask this but is there a thread I can read to catch up on the details? Thanks and all the best

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 am

MaarekStele wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:26 am
Hi guys just returning after a long hiatus when my old PC died around 3 years ago and just wanted to say you've got my support! I missed what happened with Darksaber, sorry to ask this but is there a thread I can read to catch up on the details? Thanks and all the best
Most of what happened did so team-internally and will not be made public. The official post about the issue is here:
News about team situation