New Release: Imperial Star Destroyer II v2

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: New Release: Imperial Star Destroyer II v2

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:34 am

Forceflow made a great new video for the ISD 2.
When it rotates it changes between all the different Flightgroup colours!

Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:22 am

Ooooo shiny :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

MamiyaOtaru
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MamiyaOtaru » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:30 am

the bottom of it has some strange effects with BlueMax's ddraw.dll. there are some quite visible seams between polys that the new shading brings out

..also it annihilates my framerate. That scene would be 160+ with the old model heh. It's even worse if I target it. The new Victory STDs don't have this effect, even targeted. LOD could use some adjusting maybe, particularly in the targeting screen. Just guessing

Darth_Binks
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Darth_Binks » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:43 am

It is beautiful, but I've seen framerate issues with it too. What CPU and MOBO are you all running?
Blue Zoidberg: As for me I design mansions and then live in them. I'm lying! I'm an apalling failure!<BR>Red Zoidberg: Me too! A big fat one.<BR>-The Farnsworth Parabox, Futurama

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:08 pm

This is amazing guys! :shock:

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:45 pm

IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER II V2.1 is out now

Vince T has kindly made a new proper LOD for the ISD 2. I think the LOD alone gives the TG normal opt a run for it's money! :D

isd2LOD.jpg
Vince T wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:16 pm
Changelog
- Added a proper LOD model and adjusted LOD distances
- Tweaked the engine glows which had been a bit too long.

I had to cut some corners with the LOD's FG colors.
- For LOD FG2 I removed the Rebel insignia from top and bottom but left the red trim
- For LOD FG4 ... well, the chimaera now only has 2 heads :P
It's still going to hit hard on the FPS as it's a monster of an Opt but this may help you a little.
Basically whenever the full ISD2 is on screen it really hammers the FPS. Most opts will do that but obviously it really drops.
The big difference now is that when you are not looking at the ISD2 but you still have it targeted you don't get a big fps drop. So that can be pretty useful.
When it is on screen but not targeted and looking at it the FPS is pretty stable.
Now though when you do have it locked in the CMD and approaching it you get maybe a 20 FPS increase. So that's pretty good really.

Yes we know it's still not great when there's a lot going on. The model itself would need a lot of changes at this stage but Vince talks of a remake before he retires of old age :D
I thank Vince for making the LOD though as now it looks better in the CMD and does as much as we can hope to improve this monster.

You can get this from the Downloads page now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:08 pm

fantastic job, looks lovely but as long as it kill the in-game frame rate it is out of my interest.
Why do old ships look great and won't kill frame rate in the game?
Masters such as DTM, Darksabre, Spyder, Sedenion and others OPT makers optimized their work due to game constraints, and now that JeremyaFr has removed the constraints something has gone wrong.
A lot of the old work is beautiful they just need a little love and some texture change.
my three cents.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:03 pm

This ISD2 is something special: a lot of people worked on it and we wanted to see how far we could push the engine. We had fps issues right away, so it was a challenge, a test case to understand how to improve game performance. In many ways, we succeeded, so we had no doubts that this ISD should be released. Because it is very beautiful and there is the touch of each of us. Vince T was very good at tweaking and balancing this OPT in the best possible way. It may not be perfect, but it is a monument to our efforts to push the game engine to the limit. We have learned a lot about fps thanks to this ISD2. We hope you enjoy it!

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm

DTM as I wrote it's beautiful.
Thank you all.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 pm

DTM, sounds a bit like the GF teams situation a few years ago. We made things to push the engine but there were always the people that criticised it for not running at 60fps (which for the N64 is a literal impossibility unless you have less than 100 triangles on-screen)
I for one love the detail and am positive that (modeler depending) MLOD's can be developed to achieve better fps while maintaining the high detail up-close HLOD for when things get personal with those turrets :P

Trev

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:10 pm

Imperial Star Destroyer II v2.3 is now available in our XWAU 2020 Mega Patch: Update 1
Here are the details:

Fixed an issue where the main hull’s targeting box was above the hull rather than inside it, preventing AI to hit it at low angles.
Performance Improvements: Removed some excess details from the Bridge and Shield Generators.
Made use of the new Object Profiles feature of the hangar hook to create a set of new profiles.
Currently the default setting is optimised for FPS benefits. To restore full detail, edit the ImperialStarDestroyer2.INI and swap the Default lines.

Vince T has used the new Object Profiles feature to help optimise the ISD2. From tests it works quite well.
I found a small but helpful boost in FPS in busy missions.
There's also a Profile in the INI for the Errant Venture FG which can be used in custom missions.
Right now the FPS profile is the default option but we are looking at possibly included it as an option in Babu Frik's Configurator in the future.