X-Wing Alliance 2020 Mega Patch available NOW!

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: X-Wing Alliance Mega Patch 2020 available NOW!

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Awesome job guys!

I just installed the pack on a fresh GoG install, but I'm getting a couple weird issues.

The worst issue is that the star fields do not show up properly in campaign. (Granted I only am in E1M1) I see boxes of stars on the top and bottom. Am I the only one who got this?

We have these wonderful dynamic cockpits that are easy to read. Why is it that the hud is defaulting on with no way to turn it off in game? I would think the old way of disabling the hud when a dynamic cockpit is available should be the default behavior. I have to exit, go to active cockpit .cfg, and turn them off. If I were to make a change in Babu Frik, my change in the cfg files revert (not ideal).

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm

darklord wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:58 pm
We have these wonderful dynamic cockpits that are easy to read. Why is it that the hud is defaulting on with no way to turn it off in game? I would think the old way of disabling the hud when a dynamic cockpit is available should be the default behavior. I have to exit, go to active cockpit .cfg, and turn them off. If I were to make a change in Babu Frik, my change in the cfg files revert (not ideal).
Press D and it will turn the Cockpit on or off.
I added that to the changelog

It's actually listed on Babu Frik under HUD Options
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Avarice1987 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm
Same Problem, you can see systemsettings for Joystick and Hook settings/Ingame settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZDHfB ... e=youtu.be
Hello,
Does it make a difference if you disable the Rudder in the in-game config menu?

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm

I added that to the changelog

Doh... Golly don't know how I missed that... Sorry!
Somehow I didn't scroll to the bottom in Babu Frik....

Also I reinstalled everything and now the starfields are working, not sure how I broke it....

Lawnie
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Lawnie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Just here to confirm that the spinning cockpit issue is a thing. I'm using a freshly installed version of Alliance with the latest Mega Patch. I'm not loading from Steam. I've tried disabling the cockpit inertia and disabling the rudder in-game. Neither has had any effect.

Update: removing the joystick hook (Hook_Joystick_Ff.dll) does not solve the issue.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:04 pm

You can try to disable the Hook_CockpitLook.dll hook.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Lawnie wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:56 pm
Just here to confirm that the spinning cockpit issue is a thing. I'm using a freshly installed version of Alliance with the latest Mega Patch. I'm not loading from Steam. I've tried disabling the cockpit inertia and disabling the rudder in-game. Neither has had any effect.

Update: removing the joystick hook (Hook_Joystick_Ff.dll) does not solve the issue.
I don't get that issue but here's something that you can try.
Backup the existing one and replace with this older Hook_CockpitLook
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lawnie
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Lawnie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:08 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Lawnie wrote:

Hey Ace, I was able to fix this using the joystick configurator. The temporary workaround is to disable all joystick mapping for looking around the cockpit.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Lawnie wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:08 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Lawnie wrote:

Hey Ace, I was able to fix this using the joystick configurator. The temporary workaround is to disable all joystick mapping for looking around the cockpit.
This was another bug reported during testing - specifically
Head roll as described previously... round and round and round...…………… Im dizzy
[SOLVED]
setting

Code: Select all

; None No function
joybutton_0_pov1 = 0
fixes it because I have no POV hat. Not sure why the hook is forcing a positive reading on POV hat?[/color]
Trev

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Please run the game from Alliance.exe. Not Steam or other shortcuts.
For some reason the game shortcut isn't being generated as it was in previous tests. You can then make an shortcut on the desktop for it. We're going to get that fixed asap.

This is an example of where I mean
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\Alliance.exe"

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:16 pm

can you try to state the requirements for this patch? In the coming year I am going to assemble a new gaming pc. It would be dedicated mainly to this game but really, the last one I built was more than 15 years ago.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:18 pm

capitanguinea wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:16 pm
can you try to state the requirements for this patch? In the coming year I am going to assemble a new gaming pc. It would be dedicated mainly to this game but really, the last one I built was more than 15 years ago.
If you can play Squadrons or any current modern game you can play this.
The game is old so even with the best system in the world we can't make use of the newest gfx improvements.

sark716
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sark716 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks everyone. This is brilliant. Sorted the head spinning thing by select "No function" for POV in the joystick configuration menu. Only another couple of things I found. Firstly. In the Proving Ground. The option to select the Millennium Falcon has disappeared. Also will there be Dynamic Cockpits for the Falcon and the Otana ?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:18 pm
capitanguinea wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:16 pm
If you can play Squadrons or any current modern game you can play this.
The game is old so even with the best system in the world we can't make use of the newest gfx improvements.
ok I use this as a guideline. If there should be some problem, can I call for assistance here?
by the way: thanks guys! For all the hard work you did. I think that XWAUP is a very unique and special case in the world - nothing survived so long on the passion of the players only. The Force is surely with you.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:01 pm

JOYSTICK HOOK ISSUE

For the joytick issue, you can try that:

EDIT: link removed
Last edited by JeremyaFr on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaladinCL
Recruit

Post by PaladinCL » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi guys! What is the most recommended version to play this new update? GOG or Steam?

Thanks

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:20 pm

Whichever you prefer. The patch has been created to work with all of those.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:01 pm
JOYSTICK HOOK ISSUE

Thanks, that stops the head roll.

Can I ask another suggestion, I have an old stick and need plenty of deadzone, yet even "disable small movement" results in a very sensitive stick...
Just to visually show here is a pic from dxtweek showing how bad the stick is (though before when I calibrated it, it was fine, but now its as though XWA is ignoring the calibration)
DodgyStickCallibration.png
So, if the hook is ignoring the calibration, can we alter stick parameters within the hook?

Trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:02 am

Trevor wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 am
Trev
Glad that works. But please can you repost here please Trev
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12446

Trying to keep this topic from becoming too off topic and only about current features. Thanks :)

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:44 am

Trevor wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 am
JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:01 pm
JOYSTICK HOOK ISSUE

Can I ask another suggestion, I have an old stick and need plenty of deadzone, yet even "disable small movement" results in a very sensitive stick...
Just to visually show here is a pic from dxtweek showing how bad the stick is (though before when I calibrated it, it was fine, but now its as though XWA is ignoring the calibration)
DodgyStickCallibration.png

So, if the hook is ignoring the calibration, can we alter stick parameters within the hook?

Trev

Yes, it stops the head rolling, but it still rolls to the side, it annoys me a little bit, because this is a bug caused by the hook, which in my opinion has not occurred before :(

But that's what the first version is for, to detect overlooked bugs

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:47 am

Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to turn off the old XWA HUD when using Dynamic Cockpits? I don't see it in the Babu Frik Configurator options and it used to be part of the Effects installer. Is there a hot-key or config file for these?

EDIT: Found it in the Configurator!
Last edited by dhollinger3 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:50 am

dhollinger3 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:47 am
Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to turn off the old XWA HUD when using Dynamic Cockpits? I don't see it in the Babu Frik Configurator options and it used to be part of the Effects installer. Is there a hot-key or config file for these?
See below.
Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:43 am

If I disable inverted rudder and enabled rudder then everything works (use the hook updated by jeremy and ace yesterday for the joystick and the cockpit

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 am

sark716 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:33 pm
Only another couple of things I found. Firstly. In the Proving Ground. The option to select the Millennium Falcon has disappeared.
The Millenium Flacon has been replaced by the Imperial Starfighters. There is a limited number of crafts that can be used in the Pilot Proving Ground.
You may use a mission editor (ALLIED or YOGEME) to replace the Optional Ships in the Proving Ground mission files (these mission files are stored in the "Melee" folder).
Melee1.JPG
I suggest not applying any other changes to these special Proving Ground missions, as they are coded.
If you have any further questions about mission editing, please post them on the Editing forum. Thanks
sark716 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:33 pm
Also will there be Dynamic Cockpits for the Falcon and the Otana ?
Yes of course. Our work is not done. Be patient ;)

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:36 am

AWESOME!!!. Congratulations on this great pack in which you have invested so much time.
I've been away for a couple of days and haven't found out about this important release until today.
I'm going to install it to test the improvements and see how this Mega pack that you have prepared goes.

And again, congratulations in advance.

:applaus: :applaus: :applaus: