XWAU 2020 Mega Patch Update 2

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: XWAU 2020 Mega Patch Update 2

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:59 pm

sark716 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:23 pm
Thanks? I'll try that. Would my antivirus software also cause a problem?
They do give off false positives of our updates often. But that wouldn't let you download it, shouldn't stop installs and wouldn't be specific either
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:55 pm
Haakan wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:21 am
Folks, I'm getting this error while installing. Any clues here?
It looks like you are missing a file you shouldn't be.
I would maybe backup pilots or other custom files, reinstall the 2020 Pack and then Update 2.
It works on a fresh XWA install.

However I have a custom folder with stats for most crafts. Is there any way to manually install the new features? it'd be easier that way. I've filled the free slots and I've updated hooks , effects and cockpits so far while I work on my custom campaign.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

sark716
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sark716 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi guys. Still won't work. Clean install. GOG deactivated. Worked after installing the Mega patch. Won't work after installing latest update. Crashed in the exact same place.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:27 pm

Haakan wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:50 pm

However I have a custom folder with stats for most crafts. Is there any way to manually install the new features? it'd be easier that way. I've filled the free slots and I've updated hooks , effects and cockpits so far while I work on my custom campaign.
Here's what I can see from what I can work out. Looking at the installer files it seems ok and in multiple users tests and installs it's ok.
The installer is looking for a file which is used by PalpatineTotalConverter for creating custom campaigns. It should be here:

XWA FOLDER - "TotalConverter\Custom1\XWingAlliance.exe"

There should also be a Custom2 folder. The XWingAlliance.exe is being patched to fix issues.
Have you renamed any of those folders or exe names in your custom campaign? If so rename it to Custom1 and see if that works.

The custom campaign area of the launcher is still very new and we've not had much feedback or issues with it so far so teething issues may occur.
If you haven't done that and none of this is the cause of the problem then @JeremyaFr will need to check it out.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:43 pm

sark716 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 pm
Hi guys. Still won't work. Clean install. GOG deactivated. Worked after installing the Mega patch. Won't work after installing latest update. Crashed in the exact same place.
So you can start a mission and fly into space fine. But it crashes "after" you enter hyperspace and "before" you exit into the Region. Is that right?
Does this happen in EVERY mission? For example try one from the Prologue and then 2 other random battles. Make sure they are different ships you fly.
It crashes while flying through rings too?
Try loading the Cheater0 pilot and seeing if that does the same.

I'm no programmer expert so I can only help so far. @JeremyaFr will need as much info as possible to help whenever he has time.
Are you using VR devices? Have you set custom effect settings? Did you confirm all graphic settings in game? Is MipMapping on?

Go to Babu Frik's Configurator - Customise the Special Effects - Disable all Blue Max Effects

See if that works after that. Thanks

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:31 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:27 pm
Haakan wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Here's what I can see from what I can work out. Looking at the installer files it seems ok and in multiple users tests and installs it's ok.
The installer is looking for a file which is used by PalpatineTotalConverter for creating custom campaigns. It should be here:

There should also be a Custom2 folder. The XWingAlliance.exe is being patched to fix issues.
Have you renamed any of those folders or exe names in your custom campaign? If so rename it to Custom1 and see if that works.

The custom campaign area of the launcher is still very new and we've not had much feedback or issues with it so far so teething issues may occur.
If you haven't done that and none of this is the cause of the problem then @JeremyaFr will need to check it out.

I'll try to explain in detail, let me give it a bit more context: technically it is a shipset, a large project if you would. An imperial shipset for my guild, Emperor's Hammer, to officially use for SP and MP plus including a sequel TIE campaign.

We've been working for a while using an old base DSUCP imperial setting and been updating it with the models, hooks and effects. Some vanilla slots were replaced with custom craft and all free slots were filled with more craft, mainly from DTM, Driftwood and Vince. We also patched it back to use 256 laser count and remove warhead limit of 9 plus other settings offered in DSUCP. In addition, we added a custom weapon.

The custom campaign itself is mainly built as cooperative missions using the multiplayer hook, and we'd be using this shipset as a platform for many custom missions in the future - we have a mission compendium from both the previous games and for xwa, built over the years. Some of the best rated ones would be converted for use on this mod plus new ones would be created using the new features you guys are working on.

In order to maintain compatibility, we'd like to use XWAU as a base mod for our project. We first tried patching our mod with XWAU but it overwrote part of the imperial concourse data.

Until now, hooks, dynamic cockpits and effects worked perfectly so I was wondering if there are ways to manually install the latest dynamic cockpits with their animations and keep the imperial concourse settings.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

sark716
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sark716 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:43 pm
sark716 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 pm
So you can start a mission and fly into space fine. But it crashes "after" you enter hyperspace and "before" you exit into the Region. Is that right?
Does this happen in EVERY mission? For example try one from the Prologue and then 2 other random battles. Make sure they are different ships you fly.
It crashes while flying through rings too?
Try loading the Cheater0 pilot and seeing if that does the same.

I'm no programmer expert so I can only help so far. @JeremyaFr will need as much info as possible to help whenever he has time.
Are you using VR devices? Have you set custom effect settings? Did you confirm all graphic settings in game? Is MipMapping on?

Go to Babu Frik's Configurator - Customise the Special Effects - Disable all Blue Max Effects

See if that works after that. Thanks
Thanks again for your help. Got the game working. Complete fresh install. But I have lost throttle control on my Saitek ST330 Joystick. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to get that back.

sark716
Cadet 4th Class

Post by sark716 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Forget my last. Now have throttle control. It's all looking good. Great work everyone.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:32 pm

sark716 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 am
Good morning. I have a problem. After updating to the very latest version the game crashes when in lightspeed. Any suggestions please on how to resolve this. Ta
Hello all, I'm having the exact same problem. I installed Update 2 over a previous XWAU 2020 Mega Patch (not a fresh install). The game worked fine before. After I installed Mega Patch 2 I noticed the following:

- Cutscenes/intro were back to being choppy again. I'll have to do some digging to see how I fixed this earlier as I had it working smoothly earlier.
- I fired up the combat simulator and played some quick melees with the new tie fighters, no issues.
- From combat simulator I played the first mission of the final campaign, everything worked fine until I hit the hyperdrive. It loaded the hyperdrive graphics and right when it was nearly finished it CTD'd.

aceazzameen87
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by aceazzameen87 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:31 pm

Discovered a fun bug with XWA Patch 2020 number 2--the X-Wing's front Radar radar globe is flipped horizontally. Tested this out in skirmish with a single containter as a target to make sure I wasn't just seeing things--and indeed it appears that every other fighter the target globe moves correctly--with a target off to the left of the cockpit, the radar pip slides to the left, and the same with the right. In the current iteration of the X-Wing the front globe is reversed horizontally. Yaw right, and the pip slides to the left, and Vice versa. Fortunately, it's not reversed vertically--targets above you still inhabit the top half of the left radar globe, just mirrored from where they should be.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:35 pm

aceazzameen87 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:31 pm
Discovered a fun bug with XWA Patch 2020 number 2--the X-Wing's front Radar radar globe is flipped horizontally. Tested this out in skirmish with a single containter as a target to make sure I wasn't just seeing things--and indeed it appears that every other fighter the target globe moves correctly--with a target off to the left of the cockpit, the radar pip slides to the left, and the same with the right. In the current iteration of the X-Wing the front globe is reversed horizontally. Yaw right, and the pip slides to the left, and Vice versa. Fortunately, it's not reversed vertically--targets above you still inhabit the top half of the left radar globe, just mirrored from where they should be.
We've had this issue before but it was solved. There were dynamic cockpit changes in this release so probably a small mistake.
We will take a look and see if it can be fixed easily

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:46 pm

sark716 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm
Forget my last. Now have throttle control. It's all looking good. Great work everyone.
Good to know it all works ok now.
Haakan wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:31 am
Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:27 pm

In order to maintain compatibility, we'd like to use XWAU as a base mod for our project. We first tried patching our mod with XWAU but it overwrote part of the imperial concourse data.
Until now, hooks, dynamic cockpits and effects worked perfectly so I was wondering if there are ways to manually install the latest dynamic cockpits with their animations and keep the imperial concourse settings.
No there are no solo install options atm. If it worked with Update 1 we want to make sure XWAU works with your current system. That is why I ask if you have the Custom1 folder above or renamed it. It could be a simple issue to correct from either side to make it work again. Just need to confirm detail to see If the new release needs small fixes or not.
Working with TFTC we discovered a lot of issues making new and old patches work correctly together so it's not an easy task. Even the MP hook can cause many compatibility issues.

Porkins_BB wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:32 pm
Hello all, I'm having the exact same problem. I installed Update 2 over a previous XWAU 2020 Mega Patch (not a fresh install). The game worked fine before. After I installed Mega Patch 2 I noticed the following:

- Cutscenes/intro were back to being choppy again. I'll have to do some digging to see how I fixed this earlier as I had it working smoothly earlier.
- I fired up the combat simulator and played some quick melees with the new tie fighters, no issues.
- From combat simulator I played the first mission of the final campaign, everything worked fine until I hit the hyperdrive. It loaded the hyperdrive graphics and right when it was nearly finished it CTD'd.
Cutscenes - TGSmush has been updated recently to a new version. Not that should affect it.
The only major change of late is the new Ddraw update from Jeremy and Blue Max. So I ask you to do the same test I asked earlier.
See if that works after that. If it crashes either way can you supply an Event Viewer crash log please.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:11 am

Haakan wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:31 am
Your request is very particular and we risk clogging up this topic. We use private messages. We will solve this problem together, before posting in the public forum a solution that can also be useful to other users. Thanks

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Porkins_BB wrote:

Cutscenes - TGSmush has been updated recently to a new version. Not that should affect it.
The only major change of late is the new Ddraw update from Jeremy and Blue Max. So I ask you to do the same test I asked earlier.
See if that works after that. If it crashes either way can you supply an Event Viewer crash log please.
[/quote]

I used the configurator and disabled all Blue Max Effects. Still had a CTD running the same scenario. I'm not familiar with using Event Logs, but I think this is what you're looking for. If not, let me know:

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0x4000001e
Fault offset: 0x000fbaa1
Faulting process id: 0x2bbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d726f95188df06
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe
Report Id: 295343b1-cc92-491a-8494-a1a49ae83d52
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Hey... just noticed a small bug. The targeting scope in the X-wing is flipped on it's Y-axis.

Otherwise, this is awesome. My favourite new feature is the way the POV hat works now, with it responding in small "steps" it's easy to minutely adjust the cockpit POV to get a slightly "low" view, so you can see all the instruments without going overboard.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:59 am

An important piece of information, for those who use Palpatine Total Converter and manage one or two Custom Shipsets. This Upgrade contains two types of patches for the XwingAlliance.exe file (the XWA core file).

FIXes of the game that were already contained in the first version (Fix1, GunTurret, Knockout).
UPDATES for the POVs coordinates of the Tie Fighter and the Tie Interceptor.

FIXes are applied to the to the currently active version of XWA, to the standard .exe files of XWA, as well as to the .exe files of the Custom Shipsets, contained in the "TotalConverter \ Custom1" and "TotalConverter \ Custom2" folders. Before running the installation, make sure you have not manually altered the location of the files contained here.

UPDATES are applied only to the currently active version of XWA and to the backup files of the standard version of XWA, contained in the "ToatalConverter \ XWAU" folder. The versions of XWA contained in Custom1 and Custom2 are excluded from the Update.

How to properly apply this patch.

1. In case you know that ypu have not altered the values of the Tie Fighter and the Tie Interceptor to create your Custom Shipset, the simplest way to proceed is to start the Upgrade installer after making sure that the Custom Shipset is selected as the current active version of XWA (Load XWA versions, Load Custom XWA Shipset N.1/2). After making sure that after the Upgrade your Custom Shipset is working correctly, use Palpatine Total Converter to update its backup, as you would after any modification to your Custom Shipset (Create or Update a Shipset, Crate or Update your Custom XWA (Shipset N.1/2) ).

2. If you have customized the values of the Tie Fighter and Tie Interceptor in your Custom Shipset, and therefore you do not want them to be modified by the Upgrade, before installing the Upgrade make sure that the current active version of XWA is the original one (Load XWA versions, Restore XWAU2020).

In case you need to manually apply the updates to the Tie Fighte and Tie Interceptor, these are the Cockpit POVs values for both imepial fighters (values as per MXvTED):
X = 0
Z = 3
Y = -3

In case you need to reinstall the game without losing your Custom Shipset, proceed as follows.

1. Make a Backup copy of the "TotalConverter \ Custom1" and "TotalConverter \ Custom2" folders outside the game folder
2. Make a Backup copy of your added .OPT files and mission .TIE files
3. Uninstall the XWA game
4. Reinstall the XWA game
5. Install the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch
6. Copy your Backup inside the game folders "TotalConverter \ Custom1" and "TotalConverter \ Custom2", replacing the existing files.
7. Copy your .OPT and mission .TIE files in the game folders
8. Install the Update Version 2, as written above.

I hope that with a little attention, these instructions are understandable. If you have any questions in question or if you have problems doing what is described, please use the topic specifically created in the Bug Reports / Help Requests section.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Porkins_BB wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:40 pm
Porkins_BB wrote:

I used the configurator and disabled all Blue Max Effects. Still had a CTD running the same scenario. I'm not familiar with using Event Logs, but I think this is what you're looking for. If not, let me know:

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0x4000001e
Fault offset: 0x000fbaa1
Faulting process id: 0x2bbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d726f95188df06
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe
Report Id: 295343b1-cc92-491a-8494-a1a49ae83d52
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Thanks @Porkins_BB. You may have to do a fresh as Sark did which fixed his issue.
@JeremyaFr please can you take a look, another random hyperspace issue. Thanks

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:54 pm

I just did a complete new install and everything worked fine WRT the hyper-drive animations. Everything else seems to be working fine. I'm going through another campaign from the beginning to see if there are any other issues. So, far I have noticed that the AI seems to be much tougher and some ships have become much more difficult to tangle with. But, I'm happy to report no bugs as of completion of the Family prologue campaign.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:17 pm

An issue was discovered in the Update relating to the Xwing radar directions.
So we've released Update 2.1 to fix this as it's integral to gameplay.
The fix is now live with Update 2.1 in the download section. See the other forum post for more.
Sorry that you have to download it again but it was better than a long delay.
May the Force be with you!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:49 pm

A small update. We've found that the crashing when entering Hyperspace seems to have been caused by a Hook not included in the XWAU.
In particular the TargetBoxToggle Hook created by Justagai. Which is really a simple tool for assisting in screenshots.

We don't usually recommend the use of extra old Hooks not included in the XWAU as we know they can sometimes cause issues and have not been fully tested.
Even the Multiplayer Hook has been discovered to cause issues with the TFTC work in progress.
So if you have issues and do use extra Hooks or add-ons try removing those first and please let us know what other add-ons you maybe using.
Otherwise it's extremely hard to for us to troubleshoot your issues in our free time.

If you have hook_targetboxtoggle.dll and hook_targetboxtoggle.cfg in your main XWA directory you can delete them and hopefully the crash will go away.
@JeremyaFr has taken time to rewrite and fix the TargetBoxToggle Hook. The CFG file is also merged into the Hooks.ini.
If you wish to update right away then use the XWA Hooks Setup program from the downloads page.
We will be including the TargetBoxToggle Hook in our future releases so we can avoid this issue again.

Thanks to everyone involved in helping us find the annoying bugs :)

Omadon
Recruit

Post by Omadon » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:20 pm

Hello,

XWA Update 2.1 makes my system crash after double-clicking the .exe.

I get a BEX error and have no clue how to resolve it.

Update 2.0 worked without a problem, buy I can't find it anywhere anymore.

Can someone post it please ?

And any advice on the BEX error is appreciated.

Cheers

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: XWingAlliance.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.2
Application Timestamp: 3765a9b7
Fault Module Name: XWingAlliance.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.0.0.2
Fault Module Timestamp: 3765a9b7
Exception Offset: 0019cd60
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:47 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:49 pm
A small update. We've found that the crashing when entering Hyperspace seems to have been caused by a Hook not included in the XWAU.
In particular the TargetBoxToggle Hook created by Justagai. Which is really a simple tool for assisting in screenshots.

We don't usually recommend the use of extra old Hooks not included in the XWAU as we know they can sometimes cause issues and have not been fully tested.
Even the Multiplayer Hook has been discovered to cause issues with the TFTC work in progress.
So if you have issues and do use extra Hooks or add-ons try removing those first and please let us know what other add-ons you maybe using.
Otherwise it's extremely hard to for us to troubleshoot your issues in our free time.

If you have hook_targetboxtoggle.dll and hook_targetboxtoggle.cfg in your main XWA directory you can delete them and hopefully the crash will go away.
@JeremyaFr has taken time to rewrite and fix the TargetBoxToggle Hook. The CFG file is also merged into the Hooks.ini.
If you wish to update right away then use the XWA Hooks Setup program from the downloads page.
We will be including the TargetBoxToggle Hook in our future releases so we can avoid this issue again.

Thanks to everyone involved in helping us find the annoying bugs :)
Hello folks!

I'm interested in the multiplayer hook issues. We plan to make use of it on our shipset. Precisely, all sequel imperial campaigns are planned to be played by either one pilot or a cooperative group of pilots. Hope you guys find the time to figure a solution to any issues there.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:03 pm

Haakan wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:47 am
Hello folks!
I'm interested in the multiplayer hook issues. We plan to make use of it on our shipset. Precisely, all sequel imperial campaigns are planned to be played by either one pilot or a cooperative group of pilots. Hope you guys find the time to figure a solution to any issues there.
If you have no issues with it now then you are fine. The problems have come with lots of new and specific EXE patches mostly to accommodate the conversion.
So when all those are worked out or the mod is released then the Hook will be updated. Until then if it works with XWAU "2020" and your Shipset then all is good :)