[B0M7] Family Business 7: TIE missiles

Here we can have in-depth discussions about which missions need to be adjusted because they are broken either by original design or by XWA models.

[B0M7] Family Business 7: TIE missiles

TheLo14
Recruit

Post by TheLo14 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:52 pm

I am trying not to get angry :D
Basically the issue is: the mission requires you to acquire a warhead while your buddy gets the safe, once acquired, an ISD comes in and TIEs start chasing you.
First strategy: rush in, every single missile comes at me and although I can manage to avoid them with chaff, the warhead I'm carrying gets damaged at the first missile fired (and I mean fired, not received, the message pops up telling me I avoided it). Second strategy: hang back and avoid fighting, after the girl is done with the safe it's time to leave, the beacon spawns in and you're technically free to leave BUT the beacon is behind the TIEs or close enough for them to engage you while you get there.

I have no idea on how to fix this, nothing is unbalanced in the enemy force; once i tried taking them on just for fun, the issue is with the warhead being destroyed even if I avoid the missiles.
Last edited by Forceflow on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed topic icon, Title adjusted

Mrowaksu
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Mrowaksu » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Basically just avoid any confrontation - stick to your orders - pick up the cargo and just hide behind the base like good soldier. Do not shoot anything or anyone. Then when Aaron says you are she has finished her work, push your pedal to the metal and RUN!

TheLo14
Recruit

Post by TheLo14 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:30 pm

That was the second strategy, which still hasnt worked after various attempts :D

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 pm

So this forum is really meant for discussing issues with missions that have been brought about specifically from XWAU being installed. In other words, if a mission works fine in a vanilla XWA install but becomes more difficult after XWAU is added, this is the place to raise that as an issue. It's not really meant for general advice and tactics on how to get through missions.

To that end, are the problems you're having specifically to do with the XWAU install? Was this a mission you could complete fine in vanilla?

Got to say, I've run this a couple of times in vanilla and XWAU recently and not noticed any differences other than it's easier to kill enemies with autofire in XWAU (an issue I'm hoping will be corrected officially soon - it's due to the XWAU version having more weapon hardpoints than vanilla).

Lastly, it seems you haven't tried just shooting the first couple of waves of bombers while waiting for Aeron, and going back to pick the container up only when she's done and the next wave of Bombers are leaving the hangar, as far away as they can possibly be.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

TheLo14
Recruit

Post by TheLo14 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Thank you for your answers!!!
I have never tried XWA without mod and since I had run into an issue with the previous mission, I thought wrongly it was something mod related. I'm sorry for the OT :ops:

P.S. I solved it by camping the navbeacon spawn and iterating everytime they got me with missiles

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:28 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that XWA itself never was an easy game and even the original game had some bugs and oddities in missions. Some are also down to a lot of luck. On my last playthrough I had a lot of missions that took multiple attempts and often the one that finally let me complete it felt really easy. Not because I was playing a lot better but simply because of some luck. Of course there are also missions where a superior strategy is needed, so it's always a good idea to find out why you lost. Sometimes you have to destroy specific types of ships first, protect specific crafts at a specific time or simply bug out at the right time.
That said we are trying to fix some of the missions and hopefully should have a mission pack available sometime down the line that should make sure all missions are somewhat better balanced and possible. Some of the XWAU models also do cause some issues that are being worked on as well.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project