Joystick Roll (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XvT) ?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Joystick Roll (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XvT) ?

Kilroy
Rebel Alliance

Post by Kilroy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:09 pm

I was wondering if anyone had a mod or method of enabling rolling with joystick twist in the first three games of the X-Wing series? It's the one detail that keeps me from enjoying Tie Fighter and XvT to their fullest.

I can of course press the roll button to roll with the stick but that disables turning while I use it.

Tried to search around for a solution but the common nature of terms "X-Wing" and "roll" has made Googling this solution a pain in the rear.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Maybe I've misunderstood you but, you should be able to turn while rolling in X-Wing or XvT. The only game where you can't turn while rolling is TIE Fighter. The method of rollings is hardcoded in all of the Xwing series games so it would require some hacking to change it.

Kilroy
Rebel Alliance

Post by Kilroy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:31 am

These games do blur together as they are quite similar. I play Tie Fighter the most so I guess for some reason I misremembered it being the case in the rest. I suppose it's something I'll have to live with for the time being.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:49 am

I'm relatively sure that joystick z-axis support wasn't introduced until XWA. Further, there are no dedicated roll right/left keys which one might map the joystick axis to. So barring a hook to enable z-axis support in those engines, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Serrath
Recruit

Post by Serrath » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:22 am

Has anyone written such a hook yet? It really hurts the playability of TIE Fighter and XvT.

MaarekStele
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MaarekStele » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Same here I thought I might use JoytoKey to map pressing the left and right arrow keys and Joystick button 2 simultaneously to the twist Z axis on my Microsoft Force Feedback Pro joystick but it seems JoyToKey doesn't allow assigning key + button presses to the roll axis (or seperate left and right). Any news on a solution?

ZanElJOK
Rebel Alliance

Post by ZanElJOK » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:01 pm

I was able to use the Thrustmaster system TARGET to setup so i could turn roll on and off with a button and then bind my pedals to the same axis. I ended up just taking off the pedals during my play through though because I still couldn't yaw and roll at the same time. It works okay with X-Wing not so much for T/F as the same button switches the Y axis to throttle which kills it's usefulness. but it does free up my Top Red Button to bind to fire weapons like in an actual T/F I haven't tried it with XvT yet.
May the Force be with you all.