[OPTing] XWA OPT Editor

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: [OPTing] a new opting tool is under construction

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:28 pm

Thank you Jeremy for this, and the updated engine-sound, 3d vertice count, and wingmen sound updates. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:25 pm

UPDATE
Hello,
I've updated the editor. Now the last commands are saved and you can restore the last changes.

Please redownload XwaOptEditor

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Thank you :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:17 am

Jeremyah, I've come across this bug that seems, per some ruminating by DS and myself, linked to OptEditor in some way. This shows up with smaller textures, say 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, all the way on up to 4096x4096.

It doesn't seem to matter if the files are saved as 8bit bmps, 32 bit pngs, jpgs, of any combination. These grey squares appear on several of my opts, to varying degrees of severity. Some not at all, a few being barely noticeable and largely not worth worrying about. Others on the other hand, are nauseatingly visible to the point of ruining the final product.

For example of a ship that is pretty much ruined by this bug. The grey squares are over almost the entirety of the hull randomly in game.
Screenshot 2018-06-11 16.56.48.png
Screenshot 2018-06-11 16.56.48.png
Within OptEditor rendering window it looks totally fine.
Screenshot 2018-06-11 15.19.37.png
Screenshot 2018-06-11 15.19.37.png
On the other hand, another opt I've been working on, the only real issue seems to be on the interior of the cockpit on one of the officer uniforms. The exterior of the ship has a tiny mark somewhere or two, but it's so minuscule it doesn't really matter.
Screenshot 2018-06-11 16.56.19.png
According to DS as I recall from one of our PMs, the error is not present regarding a certain XWAUP 2.0 model that is waiting for release with the textures applied in Optech. (though I'm unsure how he has managed that at higher resolutions than 256x256 at this point) Unfortunately the converted textures I saw were too low rez for my taste.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason regarding palettes used, resolutions of the textures, or what file type it started out as, or what bit 8, 32, 16, ect. it was originally saved as. And in some cases larger textures scaled down and reduced in bit are in fact worse than the higher ones, regarding the amount of grey squaring.

Could you look into what may be causing this, as it is heavily plaguing "my" opts output quality.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 am

The Resurgent-class. Oh my god.

So, so very close.

This ship has been my favorite vessel in all of Star Wars for the last number of years, so I shall spend the next days praying our lord and savior Jeremya can fix this issue :god:

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello,
I will see what causes the grey squares.
As a workaround, you can import the model in OPTech (new OPZ, import OPT) and create the OPT (xwa). OPTs with texture larger than 256x256 or with vertices count larger than 512 are supported.

Warb_Null
XWAU Member

Post by Warb_Null » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi Jeremya,
I have a wierd issue. I make my models with 3d MAX. I've made sure the vertex count per mesh is below 512 but when i import it in the OPTeditor all the meshes have more than quadrupled in vertex count.
for example : in MAX 175 vert, in OPTeditor 918 vert!
Am i missing something? What am i doing wrong or can i just ignore it?
Also the satalite i made earlier had a vert count per mesh well above 512 in the editor but that didn't give a error

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Hello,

For the 512 vertex count limit, the vertex count is shown in the Geometry tab.

The vertices count shown in the LOD list and in the Face Groups tab is calculated as follow: a triangle has 3 vertices and a quadrangle has 5 vertices.

You can ignore the error related to the vertex count. The limit doesn't apply anymore.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi Jeremy, Just wondering how hard would it be to move the NEW Last Command Save to the right side of the screen, I've got that used to the old layout I find it distracting and I feel it would be better on the right hand side as you less likely to click on new buttons, Don't get me wrong it's a great new features just find it's a little in the way where it is

Thanks
DS
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:12 pm
Just wondering how hard would it be to move the NEW Last Command Save to the right side of the screen
Done.

UPDATE
Hello,
I've moved the history to the right.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Cheers mate, I like the hide button as well, thank you :)
- John Lydgate

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:50 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 pm
Hello,
I will see what causes the grey squares.
As a workaround, you can import the model in OPTech (new OPZ, import OPT) and create the OPT (xwa). OPTs with texture larger than 256x256 or with vertices count larger than 512 are supported.
Well imagine my surprise when this worked. Mostly.

I think the Resurgent Class model is too much for Optech to handle. I was able to import it fine, it took a while mind you. However, It's been hanging on writing mesh 1 for half an hour and is flagged as (Not Responding).

I am using Optech 1.1.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm

UPDATE
Hello
I think I have fixed the grey squares bug.

The bug is related to the texture palettes. You can see the palettes with OptTextures.exe.

To fix the palette for existing models, in XwaOptEditor click on "Reset illumination" in the Textures/Illumination tab.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Thank you :D
- John Lydgate

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 pm

I can confirm that you have fixed the texture bug. I really appreciate this, expect some new releases and some updates for past ones soon.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello,
I just found that the color of the grey squares is taken from "NEWPAL.ACT".

Here is a modified "NEWPAL.ACT" that sets the color to red. This will help to find grey squares.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi Jeremy, a small feature request if it's possible please

In view mode how easy for would it be for you to add button or something similar to the version (0,1,2,3 etc) to switch between Main and LOD models, so you can view each Level of Detail model. As at the moment the only way you can view the LOD is by selecting distance buttons and the selected mesh shows in the small left-hand window, but a larger view would be preferable.

- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Done.

I've added a distance slider in view mode. It's the same as the one in editor mode. Click on it to switch between high and low detailled model.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Blimey I didn't expect it that quick, thanks so much :D :D :D

On another note since you just mentioned it I've only just noticed the slider in the editor, feel rather silly now, honestly never noticed it before lol :? :?
- John Lydgate

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Do you think you could add a transformation tool similar to the one in optech 1.1?

My workflow currently goes as follows
Blender > OptEditor (need to do mesh rotations at this step) > Optech > need to continue opting so save and export > OptEditor.

It takes almost an hour to export meshes from optech if the facecount is high and sometimes it crashes.

Overall I find your tool to be more user friendly for myself, but then I'm only really starting to figure out optech. But I can seem to get it to crash often, and it runs slow for me. However, OptEditor is missing some features that optech has that are more user friendly.

For instance, right now I'm waiting for one of my next projects to export from optech, and I can't even bring the window up to view the progress so it's not guaranteed to work and I may have to reload the program and try a second time.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:39 pm

Hello,
It will be included in the future.
For now, you can try the latest preview of OPTech v2.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:10 am

Last edited by Bman on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

darthmop1
Recruit

Post by darthmop1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Man, finally a tool that I have no trouble to mess around with.
Always thought about doing some XWA modding but buggy tools or lack of time always prevented me from doing that. Now play around with some editing functions and perhaps I'll find some time to join you folks.
Since I am playing XWA again and I am still in Solo mode(pun not intended) I just had to mod the Sabra for fun :D

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:53 pm

UPDATE
Hello,
I've fixed the Texture.IsIlluminated property.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:05 am

darthmop1 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm
Man, finally a tool that I have no trouble to mess around with.
Always thought about doing some XWA modding but buggy tools or lack of time always prevented me from doing that. Now play around with some editing functions and perhaps I'll find some time to join you folks.
Since I am playing XWA again and I am still in Solo mode(pun not intended) I just had to mod the Sabra for fun :D
Neat! Did you do that in this editor?