Converting models for use in XWA

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Converting models for use in XWA

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:32 am

I have several models from Rogue Squadron II that I want to use in XWA, but I have no idea
how to go about converting them from the .3DS format into a usable format for XWA, or how to
apply parameters such as weapon hardpoints or S-Foil triggers. Could I have some help, please?

I would appreciate any bit of assistance.
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Help? Anyone?
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:14 am

Absolutely no one is willing to help someone out here?
I've tried everything I can, all to no avail.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:57 pm

There's a program called 3DS to OPZ. It converts 3DS files into project folders to be used in OPTech, which is the main program to cread Objects for the game. Both are available on Darksaber's website.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:26 pm

General_Trageton wrote:There's a program called 3DS to OPZ. It converts 3DS files into project folders to be used in OPTech, which is the main program to cread Objects for the game. Both are available on Darksaber's website.
Every time I try to open the .OPZ in OPTech, I get a runtime error as follows:

Run time error '53':
File not found: '<filepath>\TEX_0122.DDS'

I have a strong feeling that it doesn't accept pre-made textures designed for .3DS files.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:53 pm

I never had any luck with 3DS to OPZ.

What I'd do is take your Rogue Squadron II models and bring them into your modeling program. From there, export them into OBJ and import them into Optech. Split your model into different parts, such as engines, main hull, weapons, that sort of thing, and import each part separately into your Optech project file.

Good Luck,

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:05 am

Oldcode wrote:I never had any luck with 3DS to OPZ.

What I'd do is take your Rogue Squadron II models and bring them into your modeling program. From there, export them into OBJ and import them into Optech. Split your model into different parts, such as engines, main hull, weapons, that sort of thing, and import each part separately into your Optech project file.

Good Luck,
I honestly don't have a modeling program, only the free software I've gotten online. I've never been able to export them to OBJ or any sort of 3D model file that supports textures.

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:49 am