Cant get Allied to Work

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Cant get Allied to Work

baggy101
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by baggy101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:44 am

Hello everybody, With the Latest Darksaber Patch, Unicorn squadron and all the hard work thats gone into them, I thought i'd have a go at writing a campaign again. Anyway long story short.... I cant get Allied working on Windows 10. Downloaded the version from Darksabers Website, all the additional files, but I cannot get it to work I keep getting errors like Access violation and Cannot save history. Any Ideas???

Ive tried with and without DSUCP2.5 and Unicorn Squadron but it isnt anything to do with these as I have a fresh vanilla install and it still doesn't work.

Help!!!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:06 am

Hello,
Which version did you used? the installer (AlliED1573.exe) or the zip files (AlliED1573.zip + SupportFiles.zip).

baggy101
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by baggy101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 am

I’ve tried both with the same result. Just Wondering if it could be due to the main x-wing alliance directory name?Itlooks like it’s the same problem Capt Spaulding has in this post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11178

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Just a thought you need Visual Basic 5 and 6 to run programs like Bin Hex Edit and OPTech.

Just wondering if Allied needs these also, couldn't hurt to install both,

You can download them from my website from the Miscellaneous Files Section at the bottom of the page you'll see Visual Basic Run-Time Files

I run Windows 7 x64 Pro and I have both Visual Basic 5 and 6 installed, and Allied, BHE and Optech all run fine, so I can't test my theory
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

baggy101
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by baggy101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Just got home from work and tried installing vb5 and 6 also tried renaming the directories to no avail. When I boot it it displays an error message saying Access violation at address 0052A8CF ‘Allied.exe. Read of address 00000008. ,or variations there of. When I try to set the preferences I get an error message Cannot assign a nil to a TCombbBoxString. It sets the directory but then doesn’t save the change. Then when I close the program I get an error saving history message. Probably not much help but I’m still trying anything I can think of. Thanks for the replies!

Austrianvespaguy
Recruit

Post by Austrianvespaguy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Fwiw, I'm running into this EXACT same problem right now too! I use Allied regularly and this just started happening; made a mission back in June and everything was fine, so I'm suspected that it has to do with some sort of Windows update, but alas I don't know how to confirm this nor have I yet been able to find a solution, however at least you are not alone! Will post back if manage to find a solution before you do.

Austrianvespaguy
Recruit

Post by Austrianvespaguy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:58 pm

So. . . just got this fixed with some help from Justagai, weirdest solution in the world though, downloaded and installed Virtual Clonedrive, and then Allied works again! Can't say it makes any sense at all, but hey, it worked! Program here:
https://www.elby.ch/en/download.html

JustCallMePaige
Cadet 4th Class

Post by JustCallMePaige » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 am

HUGE Thanks to @Austrianvespaguy I'm finally able to achive my 12 years-old dream!!!