Any way around the 64 message limit?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Any way around the 64 message limit?

CagiVasu
Rebel Alliance

Post by CagiVasu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Each mission is restricted to 64 messages, each with a 64 character limit. That's a maximum of 4096 characters, or about one page of writing. That's weak! I'm trying to tell a story that absolutely needs more than this. I have run out of messages within the first half of my first mission. It was a rather discouraging wall to hit. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:50 pm

I've run into the same issue during my campaign. As far as I know, Jeremy has said there is no way to expand it.

CagiVasu
Rebel Alliance

Post by CagiVasu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:04 am

Dang, well that shoots my project in the face. With dialogue alone I'm way past 64, but I was also playing around with blank messages to add a delay between conditions, which of course would only serve to exacerbate the issue. Thus is expecting too much of 20 year old software, I suppose.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:18 am

You're probably going to have to re-write your dialogue, or spread it out over several missions.

Kinda sounds like you're trying to cram in too much. If possible, put more of the narrative in the text briefings where you can and only put in mission relevant information. Maybe not ideal, but oh well.

CagiVasu
Rebel Alliance

Post by CagiVasu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 am

I had some real cute banter. I was hoping the game could carry more storytelling weight because I had a bjg list of minor characters that were a big part of it all as a whole. I'll wait to see if that limit gets upped, or maybe XWVM will one day be a better platform for this kind of thing.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:52 am

I'd try to see if you can put some of that banter in e-mails. Especially if they're minor characters, they're relatively easy to slot in via personal e-mails, or news articles send via e-mails.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 am

Messages in the middle of a fight should be the shortest possible.
Pilots should stay focused on the battle.

You can split a long message into 2 messages though.
Or you can increase the number of missions in your campaign.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 am

I thought there was a way to get around the 64 message limit that someone came up with a solution over a decade ago, but I don't recall the details. Maybe it was through BriefingLauncher or via BHE. I'll have to check my notes.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

CagiVasu
Rebel Alliance

Post by CagiVasu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Bman wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 am
I thought there was a way to get around the 64 message limit that someone came up with a solution over a decade ago, but I don't recall the details. Maybe it was through BriefingLauncher or via BHE. I'll have to check my notes.
Oh man, if you could I would be eternally grateful. I'll name a character after you in my campaign. We should gather all these questions with solutions and tips in the forum and add it to the AlliEd manual sometime.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:11 am

There is a Modding Wiki under construction (https://www.xwaupgrade.com/wiki/index.p ... =Main_Page ).
At the moment the most expanded sections already written concern the hooks and the constraints.

On the "Constraints" page, Mission constraints section, Objects per Mission are actually Flight Groups per Mission though.
If this were not the case, then the first 3 missions of the Battle of Endor would be corrupted.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 am

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:11 am

On the "Constraints" page, Mission constraints section, Objects per Mission are actually Flight Groups per Mission though.
If this were not the case, then the first 3 missions of the Battle of Endor would be corrupted.
Mission constraints
Objects per Region AT THE SAME TIME: 96 un-patched / 192 patched
Objects per Mission AT THE SAME TIME: 192

This means that the patch allows to place all the 192 objects in a same region.
As for the 192 Objects per Mission AT THE SAME TIME limit, I'm afraid it's hard-coded.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 pm

I've conducted a few tests on missions and it seems there is also the 192 Flight Groups per Mission constraint.
All the missions I tested ran OK with 192 Flight Groups and crashed right after the 193rd had been added.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 pm

I had some tests too and I got the same result: as soon as the 193rd Flight Group is added to a mission in AlliED, the mission has problems displaying player's craft and the hangar.
No matter how many backdrops there are, problems start with the 193rd Flight Group including the backdrops (the backdrops are Flight Groups after all).

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Another thing worth noting is that if there are more than 192 objects with the Arrival condition set to "(Always true) (In Mission Craft List)" the mission simply cannot be loaded.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:42 am

You can have up to 192 concurrent FG's, each maxed out at 6 craft per FG, and then many followup waves for each FG, but I'm not sure if there is a limit for followup waves. Jeremy might know.

@CagiVasu I'll look as soon as I get a chance. It's on another HD I don't have hooked up a/t/m. Remind me via PM a week from now if I forget. Thanks.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:45 am

Bman wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:42 am
You can have up to 192 concurrent FG's, each maxed out at 6 craft per FG, and then many followup waves for each FG, but I'm not sure if there is a limit for followup waves. Jeremy might know.
I've just tested with a few different configurations in B7M3 and the limit is 192 Objects at the same time, not 192 Flight Groups at the same time.
Mission constraints are written OK in the Wiki page.
Other objects exceeding the 192 count are delayed. I'm not so sure about the warheads though.

The 192 Flight Groups per mission in total (including backdrops FG) is another limit.

There is a thing I was wrong:
Mark_Farlander wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 pm
Another thing worth noting is that if there are more than 192 objects with the Arrival condition set to "(Always true) (In Mission Craft List)" the mission simply cannot be loaded.
No, because you have to exceed both the limits to prevent the mission from being loaded; otherwise exceeding objects are simply delayed.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 am

True, but other than weapons and countermeasures and maybe few other items, most every object is inheritently is a FG. Looking at a mission using AlliED editor shows this. But that's good to know, 192 objects as a separate issue.

@CagiVasu, my error. I found audio briefing launcher by Dark Denhill (?) but it doesn't get around the 64 message limit. BHE doesn't have anything either. My apologies.