[FILE] Need opinions on the Weapon Rates I made for competitive play.

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

[FILE] Need opinions on the Weapon Rates I made for competitive play.

EpicN
Recruit

Post by EpicN » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 pm

I'm messing around with the weapon charge rates to see if I could make fighter combat more balanced and competitive, plus making the ships faster. What I did is increased the weapons decharge and recharge rates with each craft's design to make charging and decharging more risky; however since I have no one to actually test this system with anyone without getting destroyed by AI I'll upload the files onto the forums for you guys to try. What I don't know is if the rates that I put into the texts are overpowered or not so that higher skilled players don't become invincible with this balance. Right now I messed with a few of the main fighter craft used with the campaign. I left the Z-95 untouched for now (since it's an old school clone wars fighter).

XWA WeaponRate Competitive Set (experiment).rar

The changes I made are listed here:
  • All unshielded Tie Fighter variants are able to regain a higher charge after draining all weapon power
  • Shielded Fighters can now charge and drain shields faster without having to redirect engine power into the shields
  • Lightly readjusted the Missile Boat's rates to keep the SLAM from ending too soon (I didn't want to adjust this craft due to the fact it has missiles loaded in by default without requesting any warheads which makes it op, but I did it anyway since it is one of the main craft of Tie Fighter)
  • Made it harder to recharge weapons on T-Wing, Tie Bizarro, and Tie BigGun
  • Both Tie Avenger and Tie Defender are now high tier fighters
The only known issues I'm having with the changes I made:
  • When the hull indicator is destroyed, it's harder to measure game balance with shields
  • The Tie Advanced x1 and A-Wing are having recharge issues when firing
  • Not sure what the defaults are on weapon rates for each craft
These issues I'm having are the reason why I need opinions and why I uploaded the files into the forum. I'm trying to make the game feel more rewarding and fast-paced to make it more appealing to today's standards for competitive gaming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 am

What I did is increased the weapons decharge and recharge rates with each craft's design to make charging and decharging more risky
To actually make recharging energy weapons more risky I think you need to break the rule of 12.5% slower (1/8 less) than maintenance speed each time a recharge is increased +1 level.
Last edited by Phoenix Leader on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 am

When the hull indicator is destroyed, it's harder to measure game balance with shields
I know this is a problem in missions too. When your shields are very low and an enemy fighter hits your hull indicator, you are blinded for the rest of the mission.
There is a simple thing you can do to display your shields and hull percentages regardless of the hull indicator status: press Alt+C and then open the map (M).
Your craft will be automatically targeted on the CMD.