Unlimited Ammo and Invulnerable score malus

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Unlimited Ammo and Invulnerable score malus

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 am

This is not a modding request, it's just a question: does anybody know in case the Unlimited Ammo option and/or the Invulnerable option are turned on how is the score reduction calculated?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 am

it is a guess, but I extimated that infinite ammo reduce about 40% and invulnerability about 50%. When both are on, your max earning per mission is up to 10% of maximum theorical score.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am

Reporting what I've found at the Emperor's Hammer site, TIE Corps section, under the Cheating Policy (http://tac.emperorshammer.org/cheatingpolicy.php):
Using the Invulnerability, Unlimited Weapons, or Unlimited Waves option in your game is NOT considered cheating. Keep in mind that if you do use either, your score is automatically deducted 90% by the game, and in X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, it will simply give you a score of 0 for the mission flown. In X-Wing Alliance, Unlimited Weapons doesn't reduce your score.
If this is true then playing with unlimited ammo does not reduce your score, whereas the Invulnerability option cuts 90% of your score.
The Unlimited Waves option is only for X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. It has been removed in X-Wing Alliance in favor of Invulnerability.
I don't agree that enabling invulnerability or unlimited ammo option is not cheating though.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:58 am

It has to do entirely with the TIE Corps bylaws and standards. Fundamentally it is not considered cheating when using those options as they only function in single player, thus does not violate the anti cheating policy. If they functioned in MP, then using them while competing in an event, then it would be considered cheating and the player would be in violation of the policy and would then come under a board review and be sanctioned in some fashion, possibly with full expulsion from the group.

This bit of policy does not address the technical position that it is cheating in a single player setting (obviously it is), it is a multiplayer factor only as the function doesnt carry over, and they cant realistically police your single player experience, so why would they bother considering that aspect at all? A hard game induced 90% point reduction is punishment enough.

As for the Tie Corps related single player battles and score tracking, again, 90% point reduction, you'll police yourself, no official ruling or stance needed. Now if you modified the mission payouts for a 90% increase to get around the SP point neutering and they found out, yeah its going to be considered cheating if and when they found out since you're then reporting your stats for club registry of your scores and would fall under the no cheating policy.

But sure, focus on the it's technically cheating in a broken game sense, and I dont agree with their position relative to their private group's bylaws without considering the "why" the have that stance, rather than the "ITS SINGLE PLAYER ONLY AND A MASSIVE SELF IMPOSED PENALTY THAT AFFECTS NOBODY BUT THE PLAYER USING IT MEGATIVELY" aspect.

Splitting hairs Mark, splitting hairs.