Rate of Fire possible hook?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Rate of Fire possible hook?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, I wonder of there is a possible way to configure a ships rate of fire?

I was messing about with allied the other day and realized that even on low pilot rating settings a lot of smaller anti-starfighter ships like the corvettes have insane rates of fire. I don't have issue with this by default, but for the occasional story advancement purposes I wondered if there was a way to configure a ships rate of fire in allied, which I think the answer is no. Alternatively I wondered if the rate of fire of any given ship, or even class of ships can be configured by a cfg that a hook can call from?
Image Image Image Image Image

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:13 pm

you could set IA to fire only at some ranges. EX. Fire IFF Rebels When Within "xxx". If you keep short the range they cannot stop everything they come into. On other hand you could lower at minimun the skill of the ship (the Pilot Level). A capital ship with Veteran or best skill pilot it is quite a nightmare in XWA.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:25 am

ual002, I have a fix for all of that (for non-flyable craft) via BHE and I'm comparing to MxTED and still going through files. AlliED doesn't affect rate of fire that I"m aware of, other than marginally based on AI level i.e. Rookie, Officer, ...etc. I will post more info under WeaponSlots thread in near future.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Well, I don't wanna hard edit the default values. I was more hoping for a way to make temporary changes, Maybe with a text file cfg that reads a specific .TIE file and applies a rate of fire change to a specific ship based on the ordered list of ships in said TIE mission.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:02 am

Yes, that would be easier. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:58 pm

What does the pilot skill actually affect on the capitol ships?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:27 pm

basically, higher the rate of skill, better is the accuracy of the gunners and their rate of fire. A veteran capital ship is a serious affair - you should take her out with mag pulse that froze the gunners, and use precision strikes on hardpoints to destroy the weapons and shield generators.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:31 am

Can we confirm that about rate of fire and accuracy because a correlian corvette at any skill seems like suicide.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:00 am

After a few tests I can confirm what capitanguinea wrote: the difference between Rookie AI, Officer AI, Veteran AI and Ace AI is both the rate of fire and the targeting refresh rate.
The difference between Ace AI, Top Ace AI and Jedi/Super Ace AI is only the targeting refresh rate.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:11 pm

ual002 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:31 am
Can we confirm that about rate of fire and accuracy because a correlian corvette at any skill seems like suicide.
Do not be fooled by what Darth Vader does in Star Wars Rebels, attack a capital ship with a starfighter is a suicide and should be, if you have not correct info how to sunk that ship. First and foremost, all the shield generators if present, should go. Then all hardpoint (turrets and warhead launchers). A good tactic is to go in pack, with half of the buddies firing mag pulse, and cleansing the shield generators soon after.

By the way, the most important thing is the Golden Angle: Every Ship has a blind spot where weapons cannot depress to aim to an assailant. That is the highway for warheads and attacking craft to use. Remember you can aim a warhead to a part of the ship to make that the terminal of the trajectory even if that is on the other side of the target.

Again remember: AI fire first on locked on warheads to defense against them, then on enemy starfighter, and only after that menace, the wandering unlocked warhead: you could deactivate the targeting computer (Alt-C) and aim manually the shot, then make yourself a difficult target away to protect the warheads detonations.

And by the way, you could stand on the back of corellian corvette cr 90 at about 0.50 click and fire at will with no way that ship could fire you back ^O
Last edited by capitanguinea on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:19 pm

It seems you may be right, somehow I had never really noticed until now. Especially with some of the ant starfighter class picket ships. They still aren't something you want to be careless with even on Novice AI, however at least its not suicide like it is at the default values.

I know the CR90 blind spot, are there actually any others on the other cap ships?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:26 pm

the true difference if when you go against a capital ship with a full patrol of human pilots (4 in superiority, 4 in heavy assault). No ship could survive. I Have just a lot of experiences about this, because I am playing this games since I was a kid of 15 years, and now I am 41 - some lessons have been hard to be learn but they pay.

Remember that most CS are generally extremely vulnerable on the rear and the star destroyers have less guns on the inferior hull. So you could literally silent their firepower and strike them without pity.

The most difficult ship is the Mon Calamari, for her vegetable elonged form (we in Italy call her "Il Dannato Cetriolo") but their big hangars are the vulnerable spot because if you can destroy turrets around you could stick just over the jamming beam range and deploy the bombs directly inside and flee afterward.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:55 pm

I was about 11 when TIE Fighter came out and played it, and then I started actually getting into modding the OPTs for XWA. I'm 35 now and while I don't really know how to model or dig into the code, I'm sort of a master at Allied, a newbie at creating artwork, and a little more advanced at creating voice wavs. I think its great how we all have our own little piece of the series we latched onto and got good at.