New High-Res Hyperspace Effect

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: New High-Res Hyperspace Effect

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:26 am

I don't think that's due to the pre-rendered nature of the default (or in this case, XWAUCP) hyperspace movie. Note that the tunnel itself looks fine. I think it's just the fades to white between the tunnel and realspace. Does that still happen if you turn off Reshade?

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Oh right: I don’t know if the question’s been asked before, but is it expected behavior that the bloom effect on illuminated textures isn’t displayed while the hyperspace effect is active?
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

boner
Cadet 4th Class

Post by boner » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Ok, thank you for your answer and your wonderfull work, i read here about the new hyperspace (proceduraly) and seams to be amazing.

I download your last ddraw 1.1 zip and the preview one 0.97, i read the last one have some bugs, then which you recommend to install? i read the README of the 1.1 and is confusing to install if i don't want VR for now, i don't see any instruccions to where to put the files.

kind regards

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:55 pm

This would be the latest, most-stablest version so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u3blv8ggf9e5 ... 0.zip?dl=0

But I'll release a new one today in a few hours. VR is disabled by default, so you just unzip the file and play. The installation instructions are in VR-README.txt; but if you don't care about VR, then you probably don't need to read that file either.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:57 pm

DarHan wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:29 pm
Oh right: I don’t know if the question’s been asked before, but is it expected behavior that the bloom effect on illuminated textures isn’t displayed while the hyperspace effect is active?
Sorry, forgot to answer this: the bloom effect is still active during hyperspace; but the settings change a bit. I reduced the number of passes because the bloom effect makes the hyperspace effect too shiny. So yes, that's expected :)

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello,
Have you try to apply the bloom effect only to the cockpit and not to the hyperspace?
I think you can use different render passes for the hyperspace effect.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:44 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:16 pm
Have you try to apply the bloom effect only to the cockpit and not to the hyperspace?
This is certainly possible and very easy to test...
If I understood what you mean here, the bloom effect would have to be rendered in two different draw() calls for this (I'm currently rendering all of it in one draw() call). This is also possible; but I need to think about it. Thanks for the suggestions, Jeremy, both would work, I think.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:25 pm

blue_max… I was going to start a new thread, this is not a complaint believe me I am grateful for you and everyone else involved, but I am try to tone-down the engine glow of the engines. With the Dynamic Cockpit info, there seems too much engine glow if you know what I mean. I just need to know which file I need to go to, I could do it myself...(hell that's the only way you learn...:) .

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:17 pm

rogue518 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:25 pm
I am try to tone-down the engine glow of the engines.
No worries, just open the Bloom.cfg file. There's a setting for engine glow (I think it's "engine_glow_strength"). Just lower down the value for that setting. If you set it to 0 it will not glow at all, 1 is "standard" glow and numbers above 1 increase the strength even more.

Also, remember that you can reload/reapply the changes in real-time by pressing Ctrl+Alt+L, so you can see the effect immediately.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:09 am

Thanks blue_max:) that did the trick!!!

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:09 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:16 pm
Hello,
Keep in mind that bright pixels in the hyperspace effect that are near enough to pixels in the cockpit should still bloom over the cockpit geo.

It might be preferable to add bloom to the shadertoy prototype and tweak the hyperspace tunnel code so that it looks good under the same bloom conditions as the cockpit.

boner
Cadet 4th Class

Post by boner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:26 am
I don't think that's due to the pre-rendered nature of the default (or in this case, XWAUCP) hyperspace movie. Note that the tunnel itself looks fine. I think it's just the fades to white between the tunnel and realspace. Does that still happen if you turn off Reshade?
Hi, happens with and without reshade.

i go to try the latest versión os "new high-res hyperspace effett" that blue_max have posted.

King regards

boner
Cadet 4th Class

Post by boner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:59 am

blue_max wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:55 pm
This would be the latest, most-stablest version so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2u3blv8ggf9e5 ... 0.zip?dl=0

But I'll release a new one today in a few hours. VR is disabled by default, so you just unzip the file and play. The installation instructions are in VR-README.txt; but if you don't care about VR, then you probably don't need to read that file either.
Hi, thanks for the link, i unziped all the content on x-wing installation folder, replacing 5 files, ddraw.dll and .cfg and some more, but nothing changed in game, i have the same hyperspace, i need to anything more? i read the txt and i see some requeriments live cockpitlook.dll and .cfg but as i can see everhing seems to be included on your zip, then where is my fault?

just to know, i don't using track ir for now.

kind regards.

boner
Cadet 4th Class

Post by boner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 am

Ok, now its working, amazing effects without errors on hyperspace. at beggining dosent Works because my fault, i unzipped on x-wing Alliance backup folder and not the current folder where i run the game on steam.

kind regards

boner
Cadet 4th Class

Post by boner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 am

Here a video, first one is from the new movies "D", second one are from the classic movies "ROTJ".

https://youtu.be/AfzMHQm65N0

With my reshade settings and this plugin i think now i have to much lighting, someone know how i can fix?

kind regards
Last edited by boner on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:14 am

Blue_max's ddraw includes native support for bloom (controlled in bloom.cfg). Having bloom enabled from both sources would cause the effect to be overblown, so you should use either Blue_max's bloom or Reshade's bloom and shut off the other.

boner
Cadet 4th Class

Post by boner » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:17 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:14 am
Blue_max's ddraw includes native support for bloom (controlled in bloom.cfg). Having bloom enabled from both sources would cause the effect to be overblown, so you should use either Blue_max's bloom or Reshade's bloom and shut off the other.
Ok, i see the file, i take a look this afternoon, thank you.

Now i trying to do the 6DOF to Works with freetrack, maybe it is posible with this plugin?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:01 am

FreeTrack is probably going to work with a small FreePIE script. You'd need to assign freetrack to freePieIO[0] and then set the Cockpitlook hook to use FreePIE on the same slot (0). I'll try to provide a sample script later -- although we should probably discuss this in the CockpitLookHook thread.

Anyway, back on topic. keiranhalcyon is right: you probably need to disable either my bloom effect or reshade's or lower down the intensity of one of them.

I fixed the bug reported earlier and it was something completely different. The lights in the cockpit should now stay on when traveling through hyperspace. I posted a new release in the VR thread.

boner
Cadet 4th Class

Post by boner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 am

Hi, freetrack Works well like trackIR, i think don't need any special script.

i have the 1.1 versión now. and less Bloom on engines and reshade Bloom off.

thank you.

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Wow... pretty good for not having the source code to the actual game. XD

Good god eat your heart out FS2O

I remember back must have been 15 years ago someone tried to upgrade the hyperspace sequence using a tinfoil tube and a light. He never could get it right XD

Charger116
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Charger116 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:12 pm

darklord wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm
I remember back must have been 15 years ago someone tried to upgrade the hyperspace sequence using a tinfoil tube and a light. He never could get it right XD
Wow, how far we've come. You've got to appreciate the ingenuity :lachtot:

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:11 pm

darklord wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:25 pm
Wow... pretty good for not having the source code to the actual game. XD

Good god eat your heart out FS2O

To be fair, the raw source animation for that was actually really good and would have been a vast improvement.

The problem was that, at the time, there was no way to get around the shockingly low resolution that was hard coded into the engine for the effect, so it ended up looking basically the same as what we already had.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Will T wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:11 pm
To be fair, the raw source animation for that was actually really good and would have been a vast improvement.

The problem was that, at the time, there was no way to get around the shockingly low resolution that was hard coded into the engine for the effect, so it ended up looking basically the same as what we already had.
Ah that's right! I remember now. Total shame, it was a pretty smart way to go about it, and I often think about his attempt when I think of practical effects.

GavUK
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by GavUK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:51 pm

I just came back to this site after being away for a few years... installed the game again, installed 1.6 and it's already looking so good... Then I come along and see the xwvm video comparing the original to what's coming next... inc this and I am so stoked for it.

I come back to this game every few years... I bought the original way back when it was released on my old Pentium II 350 with a voodoo 3 graphics cards.. and thought it looked amazing back then.

My one wish... is that you guys would do all of this to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter too....

what... a guy can dream can't he? :)

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 am

GavUK wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:51 pm
My one wish... is that you guys would do all of this to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter too...
Noo nooo noooo noo...!!!!!

GavUK wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:51 pm
what... a guy can dream can't he? :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:

Actually there were some guys porting XWAU ships to XvT, but I have no idea what happened to that project. :?

I can't really speak for anybody else but I'm barely keeping up with my own XWA projects at this point as it is, I have no real interest on working on any of the older games otherwise.

Maybe in another 10 years when XWAUP is "finished". If ever. ;)