Texture Question

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: Texture Question

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:20 am

Either the face is FFFF'd, or you forgot to triangulate all the faces. Usually it's face triangulation in my case.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 am

Driftwood wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:20 am
Either the face is FFFF'd, or you forgot to triangulate all the faces. Usually it's face triangulation in my case.
Ahh, see? Another tidbit unknown to me. You have already helped me salvage a gorgeous ISSCV model from SAAB with this, and probably more that I'll need to go back and try again.

It's too bad there's no comprehensive tutorial on all this stuff. Sadly, it's all tribal knowledge. Learn as you go...

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:56 am

Here's one I learned today after hours of pulling my hair out:

Most collada files don't port over to Blender very well, to the point that I generally don't bother with them any more. If you get one with a texture-killing base material that you can't get rid of no matter how you try (its properties just transfer to the next one on the list, like a master-material), you can defeat it by applying a transparent layer to it. That renders it invisible when you turn it onto an OBJ/MTL file and import it into XWA OPT Editor, and then all your other material textures display properly. That was about the last trick I had in the bag before giving up completely on that Chig Fighter model.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:32 am

jmarso wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 am
SystemArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of range of valid values. Parameter name:fileName at JeremyAnsel.XWA.OPT.Texture.FromFile(String fileName, String fileNameAlpha, String fileNameIllum) at OptRhinoConcverter.Converter.RhinoToOpt(String rhinopath, Boolean scale at XwaOptEditor.ViewModels.MainWindowViewModel.<ExecuteImportRhinoCommand>b_101(Action 1 dispatcher) in C:\projects\xwaopteditor\XwaOptEditor\XwaOptEditor\ViewModels\MainWindowViewModel.cs:line 547.
Hello,
This exception means that a texture is in an unsupported format.
Supported formats are BMP, PNG, JPG, GIF.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:09 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:32 am

This exception means that a texture is in an unsupported format.
Supported formats are BMP, PNG, JPG, GIF.
THANKS A BUNCH!

I was thinking it had something to do with the model itself- never thought about checking the texture files.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Screenshot (62).png
Went back and looked, and the nuBasestar's texture files were in targa. Converted to .png and voila! Thank you JeremyaFr!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.