Sound Question

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Sound Question

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:53 am

I've noticed in some of the .ini files for individual ships that they list values for EngineSoundInterior, EngineSoundFlyby, and WeaponSoundBehavior.

For example, the A-wing has EngineSoundFlyby = 3. I've seen in the wave folders there is an A-wing flyby sound effect listed as such, so I could conclude that "3" corresponds to an A-wing's sounds. What I'm looking for is a list of values vs sound effects files so I can selectively change them for total conversion type stuff.

I've already got a partial set of sounds and effects by replacing rebel (X-wing) and Imp (TIE) sounds, but it looks like there are more options available to use than just the two.

So here's the question: Is there a document anywhere or a certain .lst file in game that contains this information? Thanks.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Hello,
You can see the Wiki or the readme file of the engine sound hook.

xwa_hook_engine_sound

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:14 am

Excellent. Many thanks!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:43 am

Do sound files still have to be WAV files or can other formats be used now?
Example Mp3. WAV is higher quality though normally isn't it?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:53 pm

I've always used wav files. Audacity is a free download where you can edit sound clips for music and special effects, and convert the file formats as needed. Among others, it handles wav, mp3, and ogg files.

ClipGrab is another free utility that enables you to rip a youtube, vimeo, or similar clip to an audio file that can be edited in Audacity. I'm finding that easier than how I used to do it, which was to load a DVD and rip audio from that. The only problem with internet videos is that the sound quality isn't always as good, and you have to have the movie or show in question on disc.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:54 pm

It's pretty cool to mod something like BSG TOS starships into the game, get them statted up, and then have them use the laser / flyby / sound effects from the show!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:15 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:43 am
Do sound files still have to be WAV files or can other formats be used now?
Example Mp3. WAV is higher quality though normally isn't it?
Only wav

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm

jmarso wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:53 pm
I've always used wav files. Audacity is a free download where you can edit sound clips for music and special effects, and convert the file formats as needed. Among others, it handles wav, mp3, and ogg files.

ClipGrab is another free utility that enables you to rip a youtube, vimeo, or similar clip to an audio file that can be edited in Audacity. I'm finding that easier than how I used to do it, which was to load a DVD and rip audio from that. The only problem with internet videos is that the sound quality isn't always as good, and you have to have the movie or show in question on disc.
I use 4K Video Downloader to download Youtube stuff but it can be used to download the video into 4 different audio formats. Really quick and easy.
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... downloader
When I used to mess with stuff years ago I used a program called GoldWave. I've downloaded Audacity the other day. Used it before but not in depth.

It's possible I will go back to my Battle of Endor Shipset and update the audio from that.
I hosted 2 Sound Upgrade packs on my old website and mixed things up so I'm not sure what sounds are the best to use now lol
Of course there are lots of other cool sci-fi shows we can use to add sounds now too.

Look forward to seeing what your BSG stuff. I have lots of Steele's old ships. Even the Hangar he made. Do you have the Basestar? Good luck. :)

Thought not. Thanks a lot JeremyaFr.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Look forward to seeing what your BSG stuff. I have lots of Steele's old ships. Even the Hangar he made. Do you have the Basestar? Good luck. :)

Left you a post in this thread, in the pilot lounge: "Share your archived Non-SW Custom OPT files".

Pretty soon here I'll update that thread with my latest tinkerings.