Hyperspace

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Hyperspace

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Is it possible to increase the time we spend in Hyperspace?

I think that could be a good feature for extra immersion in missions. It's good jumping right in but if that's how long it always took to get somewhere that's a bit fast lol
We have a nice new background and even landing gear up/down options, so this could be a cool feature.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat May 02, 2020 3:45 pm

Yes, it is possible.

To increase the time in hyperspace:
At offset 0029D6, replace 1205 with XXXX.

XXXX is a hex value.
The default value is 0x0512 which correspond to 1298 (5.5s).

To set 10s, the value will be 2360 (10 * 236). XXXX will be 3809

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 02, 2020 3:54 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:45 pm
Yes, it is possible.

To increase the time in hyperspace:
At offset 0029D6, replace 1205 with XXXX.

XXXX is a hex value.
The default value is 0x0512 which correspond to 1298 (5.5s).

To set 10s, the value will be 2360 (10 * 236). XXXX will be 3809
Sounds good :) Any chance of making a hook or simple patch that can be used in the future for that?
I'm not big with Hex stuff and sure everyone has different preferences.
No big deal if not but another wish list. Thanks Jeremy :)

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat May 02, 2020 4:04 pm

You can use XwaExePatcher to apply the patch.

Add this to "patcher.xml":

Code: Select all

<Patch Name="Set hyperspace time to 10s">
    <Item Offset="0029D6" From="1205" To="3809" />
  </Patch>

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Great that worked. You are skilled as always :)
I see what it does. Every standard jump it replays the animation again. So it looks like you get a flash like you are leaving hyperspace and then it continues.
Also this could affect timing on missions. For example Endor 1 the Calamaris arrive after me but I accidentally set it too high and they were already there.
Still this interesting and will be a good area for people to explore.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 am

The new hyperspace effect from Blue Max is generated by a shader, not prerecorded, so in principle it can be scaled cleanly to any duration (although artifacts start to appear if it goes on too long). It could be made to read this value and scale to the correct length automatically. The music, however, would not line up.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Keep in mind too on the flip side, if you have too many craft entering hyperspace at the same time, usually before player, I recall you're stuck in hyperspace for awhile before the "traffic jam" clears. It depends how the mission is setup and game is processing the waypoints. You can play around with AlliED's depart waypoints (hyper) and conditions for different craft if timing becomes an issue.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Bman wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 pm
Keep in mind too on the flip side, if you have too many craft entering hyperspace at the same time, usually before player, I recall you're stuck in hyperspace for awhile before the "traffic jam" clears. It depends how the mission is setup and game is processing the waypoints. You can play around with AlliED's depart waypoints (hyper) and conditions for different craft if timing becomes an issue.
All I did was quickly try the first Battle of Endor mission which I've been messing with.
You are right there is a lot of ships going into hyperspace with that. It works fine when set to 10 seconds.
As I said above it would be great to be in hyperspace longer for more realism as long as it doesn't affect fun.
The timer is constantly running though so when missions have time triggers that would be bad. A longer jump to go home and end the mission would be fun too. Maybe lol

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 03, 2020 8:54 pm

Some other options, you could set craft Y, departs in X seconds after craft X, and do it sequentially like daisy chaining them. Or just have them hyper away to no where. In next region, you could recreate the same FG's from scratch and have them enter the scene after the condition: 100% of FG mil. falcon (player) must arrive in Region 4 or whatever it is, and enter perhaps 5to 10 seconds after you arrive.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 03, 2020 9:03 pm

Yeah but that means editing tons of missions. It's ok for a personal project but not something you could easily do with the XWAUP.
A nice hook to allow simple time editing via a cfg file over patching would be handy.
Even better if you can make one so you could add it for some missions as you saw fit.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon May 04, 2020 12:06 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:51 pm
Is it possible to increase the time we spend in Hyperspace?
I think a slightly more demanding question should be: is it possible to increase the time we spend in Hyperspace on a per mission basis?
And what about time we spend in Hyperspace from region #X to region #Y and a different time from region #Y to region #Z inside the same mission?

Hyperspace journey has a different duration depending on whether you travel from a region to another region inside the same sector or not.
The 2 main variables affecting the duration of a Hyperspace journey are: distance between the 2 regions (look at the galaxy map) and hyperdrive rating.
Another variable to take into account is the presence of singularities.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Mon May 04, 2020 1:58 am

The point is that you should be in hyperspace 99% of mission time.
This is simply what realism demands.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 am
The new hyperspace effect from Blue Max is generated by a shader, not prerecorded, so in principle it can be scaled cleanly to any duration (although artifacts start to appear if it goes on too long). It could be made to read this value and scale to the correct length automatically. The music, however, would not line up.
Max did some quick playing with this and yes it is doable but it needs some tuning as does the whole idea really.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun May 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Bman wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:54 pm
Some other options, you could set craft Y, departs in X seconds after craft X, and do it sequentially like daisy chaining them. Or just have them hyper away to no where. In next region, you could recreate the same FG's from scratch and have them enter the scene after the condition: 100% of FG mil. falcon (player) must arrive in Region 4 or whatever it is, and enter perhaps 5to 10 seconds after you arrive.
This is a pretty good trick and easy to do with simple cloning of flight groups in AlliED. I don't do it with every mission, but it works like a champ with some, particularly when you've got some complex goals set up and run into logjams trying to get FG's to do what they're supposed to between regions.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Is anyone aware if voice files play while in hyperspace? That would be a good way to have some meaningless banter or set up something about to happen right as you jump out.
Image Image Image Image Image

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 10, 2020 3:45 pm

ual002 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 pm
Is anyone aware if voice files play while in hyperspace? That would be a good way to have some meaningless banter or set up something about to happen right as you jump out.
If you added something to the Hyperspace start sounds then you could do that. That's only 5 seconds normally so after 5 it plays the exit sound. I don't think you can have custom ones though.
The way to test it I suppose is to trigger a mission message after you leave Region 1 and see if it plays while in an extended Hyperspace test.