XWA Backup Restorer - Bug

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

XWA Backup Restorer - Bug

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 4:57 pm

I am loving using XwaBackupRestorer for testing but found a small issue with it.

When I restore a installed XWAUP pack it works fine to restore the original files BUT it also removes all the screenshots I have created since installing it.
Anything named flightscreen*.bmp is deleted. I don't think this should be intentional, also it can be very annoying to lose any pics created.

I've tested this on a few upgrades like the VSD and Rebel Cockpits 2 and both have done it. Not sure if the issue is with the XWAUP or the Restorer?

Had a couple of issues too where after backup it won't load my pilot. Like the Launcher isn't working right even if I try and load a pilot. All I get is the create pilot screen.
This may not be related and could be due to multiple restoring but this has only changed by using this Restore program. I am using a test version and nothing else had been done.

Hope that helps as it's a great tool. Thanks :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 pm

I've updated XwaBackupRestorer.
Now the screenshots are ignored.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 6:25 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 pm
Briliant! How did you get so skilled! Thanks again

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 am

JeremyaFr wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 pm
Bug report? Still get this other issue happening as mentioned above.
Installed a craft. No problem. Restored that backup and the Ship returned to normal and seemed to restore as planned. All ok so far.
Launch the game and it wants me to create a brand new pilot. Ok I can crash the game and load existing pilot as needed.
Load the game and all settings are defaulted back to XWA vanilla. 3d hardware etc and more annoyingly my joystick remapping!

So I don't know if this is an issue in the scripts of the Installers, but I've had it with several installs not just one, or is a backup restore issue in the program.
It doesn't happen every single time but maybe randomly and in my testing I've had it happen multiple times. Minor overall but not if someone has to go back and remap every command again.
Maybe something to double check just in case or it's a restore line in a Craft Pack not optimised? Thanks :)

EDIT: I think I may have just found it. Config.cfg is either not being backed up or deleted on restoring.
The file had gone so if you can check your end I think that's what is causing the issue. :)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 08, 2020 6:14 am

The Backup Restorer, should only be deleting and restoring files that have been backed up, nothing else, it seems the backup restorer is deleting anything that has a different date from when you originally installed your first individual craft, you could of installed countless craft, but it seems the backup restorer will delete everything that has changed from the original xwa install.

Is it even possible to restore a single craft that has been installed? I dunno

I might be wrong
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri May 08, 2020 12:12 pm

Hello,
Have you modified the game settings (config.cfg) before or after installing the craft?
Is "config.cfg" marked as "New" in XwaBackupRestorer?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 08, 2020 1:08 pm

I'll have to go back and check stuff as I had to redo a lot of stuff before I found the issue.
I have had the config file deleted many times.
An important thing to note is that i believe Darksaber ship patches reset the brightness each time. This is saved in the config file. Right DS?

I have seen the backup program listing lots of folder changes which are nothing to do with the ship installed. I'm not on my pc so will discuss further later.

The point is it should only restore the files XWAU added and not anything else that was altered later.
Like DS said an option to restore one pack would be great. Right now you have to restore new ones to get to an old install.
Hope that makes sense. I can post screenshots later if helpful. Thanks Jeremy :)

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm

XwaBackupRestorer checks that a file is new by reading the creation date of the file.

It seems that when XWSetup modifies a file, it also modifies the creation date.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 08, 2020 3:35 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm
XwaBackupRestorer checks that a file is new by reading the creation date of the file.

It seems that when XWSetup modifies a file, it also modifies the creation date.
Here's a screenshot of an install I did of the YT-1300 on the 27/4.
backup1.PNG
The list of New stuff is massive! I think it's my entire XWA directory. So if I ran this backup now would it remove all those files? They aren't in the Backup folder.
Obviously what it should is only restore stuff in the Backup Folders.

As said before it's a great program. Just want to iron out some of the smaller issues and hopefully only choose one restore option over multiple.
Either way it can be restored manually and I appreciate the time you took even making it :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello,
I've added a button to include or not include the new files.
By default, new files are ignored.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 08, 2020 9:35 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 pm
Hello,
I've added a button to include or not include the new files.
By default, new files are ignored.
I tried it out and seems good so far :)
Did 2 tests, I restored the file I showed above as standard and it just restored what it should.
I did it with the New Files selected and it did indeed delete half my XWA directory as it showed in the list. So I'm very glad I didn't do that without backups lol
Only issue I suppose is it no longer shows the New files in the list that it will restore.

So thank you for doing that and be careful people when restoring new files!
Hopefully in the future it can restore just one selection and not several if older.
Thanks for your hard work Jeremy :)

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:26 am

Darksaber wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:14 am
Is it even possible to restore a single craft that has been installed? I dunno
It should be possible, but because installing crafts alters the exe, it would involve more than just copying files around based on timestamps. I'm talking about a hypothetical case where you backup, install craft A, backup, install craft B, and then want to uninstall craft A while leaving craft B installed. Just working with files and timestamps, uninstalling craft A would also revert the exe changes made during craft B install. However, if, during the backup process, instead of storing the whole exe, you stored the delta between the original exe and the new, altered exe, you could revert those changes piecemeal. Provided, of course, that the two installations do not alter the same offsets in the exe, in which case there would be a sequential dependency between the two installations. The same could also be done for any of the text files/dat files/etc. altered by craft installation.

To be honest, though, I'd rather have a hook that loads in the custom craft data from side files (which could be .shp files) at runtime based on the contents of a side text file, so that the exe would no longer need to be modified directly for craft installations.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 10, 2020 3:10 pm

Good idea. Although I prefer the .xml patches over .shp files since you can't edit in notepad without the MXvTED editor. Or hook reads from the OptModelName.ini, .txt, or .cfg file.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Sure. Human-readable/editable is always nice. I was thinking about compatibility with what's already been done, but maybe a converter could be made.