Icon editing

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Icon editing

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 pm

Can someone point me to a step-by-step on how to edit icons? I'm guessing that it somehow involves editing DAT files, somehow. I have all the DAT editing tools downloaded but don't know what I'm doing when it comes to using them. I'm also guessing there are a couple of small graphics to create and put somewhere.

I'm looking to create some custom icons for custom ships, and incorporate them into the HUD so the shield indicator has the proper ship at the center. If all else fails, I'd like to at least remove the icon that's already there, so that there is nothing inside the shield indicator. A custom icon would be better, though.

Also, would the process be similar for creating custom briefing icons for use with the briefing map?

Thanks for any help.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 11, 2020 9:34 pm

I'll start you in the right direction as I'm rusty in this area.
Download XwaToolsDownloader
https://raw.github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaT ... loader.zip

Use Xwa Hull Icon Generator to make icons from custom opts.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Wed May 13, 2020 5:39 pm

I've tried using XWA DAT editor to replace icons within the shield indicator, but nothing changes in game.

Can anyone tell me which set of icons relates to this, what size the replacement icon needs to be, and which format number? Or do you need to create an entirely separate DAT file for that ship slot? Thanks.
Last edited by jmarso on Wed May 13, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Wed May 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Yet. Another. Question.

Can anyone explain the significance of the various values in this 'Icon String' field?
Screenshot (130).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Thu May 21, 2020 3:32 am

Can anyone tell me which icon set governs the icons inside the shield indicator in flight, and which game folder it is located in?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 22, 2020 2:21 am

I'm guessing here but is the icon string something to do with the icon positions on the Licon file?
Read this in case it helps. https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/tutmxvted.html
jmarso wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:32 am
Can anyone tell me which icon set governs the icons inside the shield indicator in flight, and which game folder it is located in?
Shields and most in game effects are in the ResData folder.
Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\Resdata

HUD.DAT is for Shields etc. Careful you don't screw up your cockpits ;)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost