Headlights

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Headlights

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon May 18, 2020 11:34 pm

Turns out that the Death Star mission apparently shuts down the lights after the core reactor is destroyed, and since the new shaders have been integrated with the XWA lighting system, this means that everything does dark, making it a bit impossible to finish the mission.

To work around this problem, I made a quick hack that added a new directional light pointing forward; but apparently a lot of people didn't like it very much. So I just created a new shader that implements a spot light, along with maximum distance and cone-width, and this is how it looks:

headlights-2.jpg
headlights-1.jpg

In this version of the headlights, the inside of the cockpit stays dark. If the ambient component is 0, the cockpit stays black, with only the DC elements and lights on. I'm just doing some final tests for this shader and I'll publish it soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Looking good! Very interesting.
I was going to note that the Salvage Yard fly through is similar but you've seen that.
How you've done this with XWA I will never know.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue May 19, 2020 12:01 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:56 pm
How you've done this with XWA I will never know.
Some math and a lot of patience -- mostly patience.

UPDATE: This shader has been published. Look in the "Installers..." sticky thread.

maggee
Galactic Empire

Post by maggee » Wed May 20, 2020 2:20 pm

I thought the original version was fine, but after seeing this all I have to say is kudos blue_max... we don't deserve you :)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Gotta go back into the Death Star and test this still. I did point the lights into a hangar though. It was good
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:25 pm

This is fantastic. I think we are very fortunate to have the people we have in the community.
Image Image Image Image Image