S-Foil visual glitch with Spyder's X-Wing

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

S-Foil visual glitch with Spyder's X-Wing

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Hey guys.

I'm getting what I think might be a LOD related issue with the s-foils on Spyder's T-65 X-Wing.

I set up the .ini for the s-foils and landing gear myself, so it's possible I screwed something up but I thought I'd ask to see if it's something I need to change with the opt itself.

Basically, when another X-Wing gets a certain distance away with the s-foils closed, it suddenly looks as though they're open, but the cannons haven't moved with the wings. The threshold for this is so low that you can actually see it in the Liberty's hangar.

I've got some images to demonstrate, but they're not the best - little bit limited with XWA's camera and the resolution of my screen grabs:

The X-Wing on the other side of the hangar looks fine when you're in relatively close
XWingAlliance 2020-07-03 14-41-24-12.png
But when you zoom out far enough, looking from the front of the hangar, you can see the background X-Wing's wings pop open, but the cannons move differently and aren't placed on the wing tips.
XWingAlliance 2020-07-03 14-41-29-31.png
Only three attachments per post, so I'll put the two slightly clearer shots from in flight in the next post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:58 pm

You can also see this in flight. At the start of the mission, the X-Wings in front are close and have their s-foils correctly closed as they hyper out of the area.
XWingAlliance 2020-07-03 14-42-52-20.png

But after a couple of second, they get a bit further ahead of you and suddenly the wings screw up:
XWingAlliance 2020-07-03 14-43-02-92.png

Is this something I've screwed up with the ini file? Or is this maybe something to do with the opt itself being made before the s-foils were controlled by the new hook? Is something in the LOD Spyder made for this not compatible?

Is there an easy fix I can do?

It's not super vital, but I'd like to figure it out and correct it if at all possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spyder
XWAU Member

Post by Spyder » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Hello Will T.
This is a known issue and you are absolutly right, it is a LOD issue related to the s-foils. I think it has to do with the LOD meshes not matching the ones on the Base model properly. Yes, the new hook is later then this OPT so I newer discovered this bug back then. I will correct this in a future release. In the meantime you can adjust the LOD distance in XwaOptEditor so you don't have to see it so closely.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Amazing. Always good to hear it from the man himself.

Cheers Spyder. I'll adjust the LOD distance for now.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Coming to think of it, the VSD is likely to have the same problem, as I set up the LOD wings as part of the main hull. Think I better fix this at some point.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear