Request: invisible ship, to be used as docking platform/hangar

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Request: invisible ship, to be used as docking platform/hangar

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:06 pm

So I was looking at the new shipyard, and I was thinking how could it would look with ships coming out of various hangar bays.

So I had an idea: if someone could make an invisible object with no colmeshes that we could put into missions as a regular FG, and set as mothership for other flight groups, and it was made un-targettable in MxvtED or whatever, couldn't we have ships launch from basically anywhere?

As in, I could put one of these "ghost FGs" at each of the hangar bay openings, have a bunch of TIE Fighter flight groups, each with a different "ghost" as mothership, and in-mission it'd look like the TIE Fighters were launching from the various hangar bays of the shipyard.

Could also be used to simulate fighters launching from different hangars on XQ platforms, capital ships, et cetera.

Has anyone made something like this already, or could it be something for one of the opters here to consider?
Last edited by Safe-Keeper on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Well, as it is we can already set motherships in allied for launch and departure, so I only see this being used to simulate arrival from a planetside base, in the low orbit scenarios. That way you could tie it to a planetary hangar. But in that case I would recommend some type of buoy.

Maybe I don't fully understand your need. Are you saying you want the illusion of launches from various different hangars on a nearby unaffiliated opt? I would imagine that could easily cause launch and recovery collisions.

I'm all for inventive solutions to problems, but I also don't want to overcomplicate the mission building process. Because then you have to set a bunch of conditional things for when that opt gets destroyed when usually allied handles that stuff automatically with the arrival and departure alternate.
Image Image Image Image Image

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:15 pm

Different hangars, yes. And if it causes collisions, just adjust the position of the invisible hangar.

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 pm

That reminds me, an invisible ship could also allow FGs to dock, or appear to, anywhere on another ship or station, which could lead to some cool scenes indeed.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:00 am

Moving targets would be impossible too. This would only reliably work for stationary ships.

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:16 am

Are you talking about for docking? If so I never said otherwise, you've never been able to dock with moving craft in the X-Wing games, so I'm not sure what you mean.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:28 am

Launching or recovering. An invisible opt matching a moving visible one is very difficult to do in the editor reliably.

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:09 am

Again, I was never talking about moving objects, and again, if you get it wrong in the editor, just test and adjust it until you get it right.

Also you just use a visible opt like a fighter or buoy until it's in the right position.