Yogeme and converted files from XVT

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Yogeme and converted files from XVT

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:39 pm

I think i found an issue converting misions from x-wing or xvt to xwa.
For example there is an ywing with the order disable a fragate, and there is a ISD with the arrival condition this fragate must be attacked.
Converting this file to xwa format the isd never arrive becouse xwa dont see the disable order like an attackt.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:39 pm

If that's truly the case then that's not a converter bug, that would just be XWA treating "attacked" differently, but I don't think so.

Can you send me an example mission from XvT that shows this behavior? Or if it's one of the stock missions, tell me which one. For the most part, the up-convert code is 15 years old and pre-dates YOGEME itself, so I need to see the before and after to determine if there's really a conversion issue or something else going on.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:28 pm

Yes i think its not a bug, later i will post a mission file when finish working.

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:29 pm

But i think the mission i am talking is From x-Wing.

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:35 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SHb66b ... sp=sharing
This is the file is a xwa misión converted From x-Wing.
ISD has arrival conditions that a frágate is attacked, and there are ywings with the order to disable that fragate.
In xwing when the ywing disable the fragate the isd appears, in xwa not.
Its a historical xwing misión.Rescue at moon calamari.

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:24 am

It seems to be a weird case of XWA not handling the "attacked" condition as expected.

From my testing, it appears that the Y-wings launch a torpedo at the freighter, and for some unknown reason, this prevents the "attacked" condition from triggering, even if it's attacked normally at a later time. Removing the Y-wing's torpedo warheads seems to fix the problem. If I recall, in the original X-wing, craft set to disable wouldn't fire warheads on their target anyway.

Changing the condition from "attacked" to something else, like "shields 50%" or "shields 0%" could be used as another workaround, if you want to keep the warheads.

I'm not sure what can be done to avoid the issue from a converter standpoint.

The mission has another problem. It looks like you used AlliED to convert, and the briefings are broken. The original X-wing uses briefing strings for the text pages, but these strings are too long for XWA to load, and might crash the game. It was crashing for me.

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:12 pm

yes you are right, thank you for the warhead solution, well the i downloaded the mission dont know where but i tested in original xwing.
Thank you so much for your help, you are great.
And the solution from the convertion point of view, well i dont know programing maybe i am saying nonsense, but for example, if one craft have the disable order a target, and there is a craft in the list with a condition this target must be attacked, change this condition to have 80 % shields or must be disable, the two conditions together, with "or".

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:58 pm

Yeah, this wasn't converted with YOGEME. The original mission is HALLEY.XWI, and when I convert it in addition to the briefings coming over properly there's also other subtle changes that give that away.

As far as how to treat this condition in the future, that's tough to say. "Attacked" should trigger on the first shot and could in theory have an immediate response in a mission (this one has that ~3m delay, but still), whereas "shields 50%" is well into the attack at that point so now we're getting into possible changes in mission flow. In the end, the platforms do have their inherent differences, especially X-wing, so I think this is one of those instances where "results may vary" applies and this particular scenario should be handled on a case-by-case basis. In this instance I think "shields 50%" should be fine, and maybe reduce the Warrior's arrival delay a little.
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:12 pm

yeah its a difficult solution, maybe if in xwing the craft with disable orders dont use warhead, the order disable target converted must include dont use warhear in the conversion.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:41 pm

You cant just say "disable but don't use warheads", that's not possible. It's either Disable (which uses warheads to lower the shields) or you remove the warheads entirely like what Random said.

Now, X-wing only has a single order, so unless you're planning on adding onto the mission after the conversion, not using warheads for the disable means the warheads would never get used since after the disable the Y-wing's job is done. So maybe the cleanest way is to ensure that any FG that has a Disable order has their warheads removed.

On a technical note, would need a little testing to confirm, but maybe XWA is registering "Attacked" only when using lasers? Or there's a hidden state assigned to the FRT that prevents the "Attacked" flag from tripping once a warhead hits? Seems like something we would've realized by now...

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:44 pm

When I was testing last night, player lasers, player warheads, and AI lasers would trigger the "attacked" condition on the freighter. But if the AI shot a warhead first, everything else was blocked, even if the warhead hadn't hit yet. I haven't tested if it's specific to the "disable" order, though.

I know in XvT the "attacked" condition is used to store multiple pieces of information, including warhead hits and player hits, but I can't understand why or how it would be different in XWA. XvT had a similar problem where the inverse condition "destroyed in one hit" ("be unharmed?" in AlliED) was problematic because of how warheads interacted with the condition. But in XvT, the "attacked" trigger still performs as logically expected.

The problem with conversion is that X-wing makes frequent use of the "attacked" condition throughout the game. Without checking every single mission, there could be more unintended side effects of ships not arriving on cue. I would need to scan through the missions to make sure. It's not merely whether something is disabled or not. On second thought, perhaps a conversion combining the "attacked" condition, shield percent, and/or proximity to potential attackers could be used. I'd still need to go through the missions.

I would agree in reducing the ISD Warrior's arrival delay. In XWA, freighters have lower shields, Y-wings shoot faster, plus they fire ions/lasers at the same time. Once they get in cannon range, it only takes a few seconds to disable the freighter. In the original game, without the player assisting to take down the shields, it could take the Y-wings a minute or two to accomplish the task on the their own.

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:13 pm

ok i did some tests and there is a confict with warhead and condition "must be attacked", in vainilla version too.
If a warhead is lauched by ia to a target the conditon mus be attacked it doest works if is refered to this target.

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:44 pm

i change the orde to ywings that instead attack the containet attact to me, and to de isd condition my flygroup must be attacked, and if a warhead by the ywing is launched to me the isd never arrive.