i give up! and thats why im posting...

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

i give up! and thats why im posting...

stealthsnake
Recruit

Post by stealthsnake » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:25 pm

hello there!<P>the first thing i'll do here for my introduction is to apologize for my now following question(s). maby it was already<BR>asked a few hundred times...or maby i overused the search function. as far as im concerned i couldn't find anything <BR>relying to my prob. but, why dont we start and then we'll know.<P>first one is about that "cheat" with the flyable crafts. well, i know this trick by editing the shiplist meanwhile for a long time. it was two or three years ago that i tried that. then i put xwa aside...till these days. i know its a long time and i have a lot to catch up. all i know NOW is, that there r two versions of xwa out there. the us and the international (maby this is the reason?!). i have the patch and know that some mods only work with the 2.02 version. i also read a few articles and FAQ's to get sure how to do this and that...means make every ship flyable in skirmish and add new crafts by using mxvted2 (or whatever it was called).<BR>and so i tried this day a lot on my own to figure it out.<BR>the only thing, that seems to be working is the replacing of older opt's with new ones using the xmod manager. <P>BUT. <P>and this was also what i experienced with my 1.0 version 3 years ago: no matter if i edit the shiplist by myself of leave this to some editos or use already prepared from the net this trick DON'T work. i can write that an isd is flyable, known, and so on but it'll never appear as available craft in the skirmish editor. and when i select the isd first and drag the player than over it it'll dissapear. believe me i tried everything possible today.<P>i noticed, that there r two things that could explain this. but i didn't had the time to check it out. first: in game data is loaded from the cd. right? on my second cd there r the files that i normally find on the hdd. could it be that xwa prefers the files FROM there? but why the **ck the replaced (and eddited by mxvted) models appear then (which r also on the cd) in the game while new added don't?<BR>the second thing is, that the registry points my cdrom drive as source path. source path for what? some files, like the shiplist for the game? i don't know, cuz like i said, i had no time to check that theory till now. <P>however. the other thing is adding new ships. i d/l an opt for the droid tie and wanted to add it. so i used this <P>mxvted2 editor and the included readme to insert the new tie. among other things i noticed, that the tie is added (as per instruction) in the "slot" 184. which is in my shiplist and *dontuseme planet. this is maby another problem. <P>because, how am i supposed to select a planet in the skirmish mode? this was something i couldn't find a solution either.<P>im meanwhile a bit frustrated, cuz i can't find the reason for this "non editable xwa" problem. neither myself nor in other <P>forums, readme's, FAQ's, instructions, tools, help files and so on.<BR>am i the only idiot, which isn't able to do this, or am i doing something wrong all the time or is this a known <P>problem of early versions of the game (the game was a bit older even in 1999/2000)? is this a problem with the <P>international (german - thats my) version?<P>i'd really appreciate any help from u guys. be so kind as to help an old man here. thank u very much.<P><BR>kindest regards<BR>stealthsnake.

stealthsnake
Recruit

Post by stealthsnake » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:51 pm

thank u that far for the answer. but maby u could tell me, what updates r exactly neccessary to put that game into english and to make it possible to add new ships.<BR>cuz i don't see any file named "make every ship in the shiplist in skirmish flyable and translat ur version into english to make work what ur trying the whole day"...neither here, nor on darksabers side. sorry.<P>im using this mxvted2 editor and it already created a new (arranged) shiplist. but i fail to see the improvment as for the new flyable crafts :(<P>would u be so kind to tell me what files for an update exactly i need?<P>thanks.<P><BR>kindest regards,<BR>stealthsnake.

stealthsnake
Recruit

Post by stealthsnake » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:10 pm

give this man a kiss!<P>thank u very very much!!! NOW i know why this goddamn trick didn't work. and i could bite myself in the ass. i already looked into this file (xwa.tab) where everything is translated, but - before i got to the very bottom of it i closed it again just thinking this would be the pure translation. BUT u have to translate the shipnames, too. and for this u have to point them, and this is done by referring to the original shiplist.txt. and i didn't realized that at this moment... *sigh*<BR>how could i be that dumb!?<BR>however, han's brother. u don't have to delete that file. u just have to open it with an normal text editor and edit the species strings for every single ship, that is THERE marked as unknown and unflyable. and where the game takes the ship(list) parameters in our german version from. this is something mxvted DON'T do for ya. i also was able to add this tie droid craft there. but i had to do this manually in slot 184 like said in the readme. just take the string from the shiplist.txt and replace the specific slot. unfortunately u'll have to change the names for it, too, otherwise the tie will be named as "*Waldmond Endor".<P>this is of course a bit more work, than just deleting the file. and some of the descriptions for the tech library u'll have to add and translate...or leave them as they r, but at least paste the ones from the mxvted description.<BR>not that im that hot about keeping the german translation, but it don't hurt either...at the moment. do whatever u like. and by the way: i've already edited that file that far, that the game stays german, and all crafts r nevertheless flyable. i can send it over to u as kinda <thank u> for the help. just let me know, if u want it...and the address where to of course.