Size of SSD...

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Size of SSD...

WJTW
Recruit

Post by WJTW » Sun May 18, 2003 1:48 am

Hi,<P>I've realised that XWAU will fix the size of the Super Star Destroyer in XWA. <BR>I have a question, though. I've seen another site having a corrected SSD as well, and decided to try it out. The SSD is not for XWA (for XWvTF), but it is still an .opt file. Halfway through the loading, the game crashed.<BR>I tried it for the Eclipse SSD, but the site did not specify the game to use (it just said Foreign OPTs.). And it, too crashed.<BR> <BR>This thing happened as well when I tried to fly the Death Star II, which is in the game itself. I allowed it to appear in Skirmish, and tried it out, but the game crashed as well, in exactly the same way it did when I loaded the SSD.<P>I suspect it might be due to the size of the ships. The enlarged SSD might be too large for the agem to handle, and it crashed. Or it might be just incompatibility.<P>Would the SSD in XWAU do the same, too?<P>Thanks!<P>WJTW

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Sun May 18, 2003 2:11 am

Your problem is in the file type, not the size of the OPT. The files for XvsT are different than those for XWA, and will cause problems if you just import them directly. The DSII, is I believe a background file, like the planets, but I could be wrong. There is a currently existing SSD opt for WXA that does work, by Matt. It might still be online, or I could e-mail you the file.
Corellian Browncoat
"There's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun May 18, 2003 11:12 pm

I forsee another SSD discussion. *screams*<p>[ 19 May 2003: Message edited by: General_Trageton ]
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

WJTW
Recruit

Post by WJTW » Mon May 19, 2003 10:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>...It might still be online, or I could e-mail you the file.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Oh yes, please do! Is it a modified one with the length being 16 or 17KM? <BR>I was saying the size of the model, actually. I was thinking maybe it was the size of the model, and not the size of the FILE, that caused my PC to crash, since my PC isn't exactly a state of the art one.<BR>onifanfic@yahoo.com.sg<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR> I think I have found in the whole time of XWA 3 or 4 different SSD, and a working Eclipse I & II, the Devastator and Souvereign SSD. They work perfect.<BR>Just keep in Mind to give them the settings <BR>of a SSD via Mexvted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>A working one of these starships? Really! I would really want to try them. Would it be troublesome for you to send it to my email?<BR>However, I am a little confused over what you meant by setting it as SSD. Sorry, but can you elaborate on this?<BR>onifanfic@yahoo.com.sg<P>Anyway, guys, I have downloaded the Interdictor remodelled version, and the file name is Interdictor2.opt. Initially, I didn't realise this and played the game, and saw no changes. I changed it to Interdictor.opt but it didn't work as well, still displaying the old model. The presence of this old model meant that the actual filename of the Interdictor is something else, right? I couldn't do it with the Dreadnaught Upgrade, either.<BR>I would be glad if someone would clear this up for me.<P>Thanks!<P>WJTW

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon May 19, 2003 1:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Han's Brother:<BR><STRONG>... the Devastator and Souvereign SSD. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B>Devastator?!?</B> Never heard of that one! Where did you find it?

Avenger One
Captain

Post by Avenger One » Mon May 19, 2003 1:31 pm

The name of this thread had me groaning for a second shaking my head saying "these noobs never learn..."... but then I read it lol
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Billy Shears
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Billy Shears » Mon May 19, 2003 5:46 pm

I think he's talking about the World Devastator....I got one from Mike Anderson's site, but since he's dead or something....uhh.....
It was twenty years ago today...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon May 19, 2003 6:38 pm

Ah! That one! I thought I had missed out another SSD ...

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Mon May 19, 2003 7:06 pm

OK, I sent the file, it should be arriving here soon. And the problem is not really file size, but file type. XvsT uses a slightly different format of OPt than XWA. And yes the SSD is about 17 klicks. really nasty to deal with. (Especially if like me, the stats for capships are really high)
Corellian Browncoat
"When I suggested they reverse the polarity of the main deflector dish and flash wipe all our DNS proxys they said I was not helping."

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Mon May 19, 2003 8:48 pm

On a side note, large models like the SSD opt will only work with the "Balance of Power" add-on, even the standard TG SSD will not work on XvT.
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

WJTW
Recruit

Post by WJTW » Tue May 20, 2003 10:41 am

Thanks, Major Wes Janson! I've received the file... going to try it later,<P>A few questions...<P>1) Are there any other ships in the game that are inproperly scaled or wrongly scaled, or only the SSD is wrongly scaled? Just curious.<P>2) Also, when I selected to fly the Imperial Star Destroyer in the Simulator, and switched to external mode, I see nothing but empty space, wth the camera placed in a position as if the ISD is actually there. This was not a problem when I have selected the VSD, SSD and other ships. So, why only the ISD? When I switched the OPT files to replace the ISD to another ship, that ship, too, did not appear in external mode.'<P>3) What must be done to adjust the size, speed, etc, properties of a ship? Are there any files in the game's folder itself that allow us to modify directly the ship's size, speed, etc?<P>4) What are the numbers below each name in the file SHIPLIST.txt?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>On a side note, large models like the SSD opt will only work with the "Balance of Power" add-on, even the standard TG SSD will not work on XvT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You're referring to XWA or other games? I've managed to download the Sovereign and Eclipse SSDs (and I can't even see the Eclipse. It was so dark. Annoying me.), with sizes > 17 km, and it worked, so, do I need the Balance of Power add-on, if you're speaking of XWA, of course.<P>Sorry for the many questions...<P>WJTW<p>[ 20 May 2003: Message edited by: WJTW ]

Major Wes Janson
Galactic Empire

Post by Major Wes Janson » Tue May 20, 2003 1:10 pm

1. The ISD is actually too long, the game calls it 2.0 km, it is 1.6km. Mon Cals are 1.2km, the game calls then 1.5km. Also, all capital ships and stations are in scale to each other, but not to the fighters. The capships are too small ingame, despite the actual sizes. (Hope that's not confusing) According to perspective, they shold be much larger. <P>2. It probably has something to do with the camera position of the ISD. if the camera is inside the actual ship, you will not see anything, because backfaces are invisible. <P>3. For stats, use MXvsTED. You can find it at Darksabers site, under utilities I think. <P>4. The numbers in the shiplist I believe are references to other files. I'm not really sure however, so don't go by me.
Corellian Browncoat