Question that has been nagging me..

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Question that has been nagging me..

Ragnarok
Ensign

Post by Ragnarok » Sun Mar 25, 2001 5:54 pm

Ok..<P>As I work on my mod, putting in Rebel's SSD II-class warships, the first thing I realize is: The attacking fighters break off without even being hit, before firing a single warhead.<P>The next thing, and unpreventable I realize, is I get jammed 3KM away, so laser attacks won't work.<P>The next thing, not matter if I had the entire NR fleet of B-Wing's tearing down at that warship, and if they'd actually fire at it, that it still would not die, because my MC-104 won't shoot at it, but at the attacking TIE Defenders and TIE Long-Range Bombers only.<P>So, the question is this: Should I make it so the ships can be damaged by fighters? Or should I keep it the way it is, and just have dozens of NR cappies try to take it down?<P>Some say to make it so you can actually get a torp to hit a cap-ship, some say make it so nothing gets through.<P>Right now, only a single Heavy Rocket from a TIE Defender ever got through to the MC-104 I had flying around, and yes, I had the turbo rebel lasers on a higher number than the super rebels, so that can be expected.<P>Again, the question is: Should I give fighters a chance to take on large capitol warships? Or should I let them slug it out with one another?<P>I realize with very large ships, such as the SSD II warships, and even your Eclipse SSD's, that attacking with fighters will prove impossible, since AI fighters break off without getting close enough to fire a single warhead. Then when you get close enough to initate a laser-based attack, you get jammed.<P>Of course, I really need to consider what I'm adding..Since my mod is based about 2 years before the Corellian Tril, and not related in any way to the 'hero storyline' of SW.<P>I don't think the Empire could build an Eclipse, or even an SSD II..Not with the way their resources are getting strapped.<P>Still and all, on large cap-ships, should I have them fire a larger number of 'super' lasers, or turbos? Right now, I have it set to fire turbos more, because I got paranoid that fighters would have too much advantage if the warheads they shoot, could not be shot down before they hit.<P>------------------<BR>Jorias Kell<BR>http://www.alteria7.com

JM
XWAU Member

Post by JM » Sun Mar 25, 2001 9:13 pm

Try telling the fighters to attack the bridge, the AI seems to be more able to work out how far it is from the target if the target is smaller.<P>***Remembers a anti-SSD mission where friendly fighters weren't doing anything, but when orders modified to attack bridge had to add extra enemy fighters to keep balance***
XWAEG. <A HREF="http://www.btinternet.com/~jmdare/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.btinternet.com/~jmdare/</A> Last updated 24th July 2005

Ragnarok
Ensign

Post by Ragnarok » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:01 pm

Yeah..<P>I just reinstalled XWA.<P>I ditched a lot of the SSD's, the only ones I have going now are Matt's older SSD, and MJT's Vengeance.<P>I decided to arm the ships appropriately. I mean, the MC-104 would have more heavy turbolasers 'super rebel lasers', than turbolasers, right? Or is that the other way around?<P>My problem is, I use skirmish as a testbed, which doesn't help.. Image<P>Take this as an example of how utterly retarded skirmish is: I had the MC-104 on my side set at Veteran AI, set to Strike orders, with Rebel's Executor II on the enemy side, with a load of fighters on both sides..The MC-104 only let one HR from a TIE Defender II (That's what I call MJT's modified Defender that has 2 more lasers and puts the ions below the cockpit), get through the turbolaser defenses, and needless to say, between the E-Wing squad covering the '104, and the '104 firing like mad, the Defenders and TIE Long-Range Bombers, didn't last long at all.<P>Then the '104 closes to within 'superlaser range' of the Executor II, but never fires one single shot, but, and this is the strange part, the Executor II never fired at the '104, yet both ships were hailstorming the fighters..Example of how Skirmish cannot determine how in the hell to get ships targeting each other.<P>Anyway, I think Matt's version of the SSD, and MJT's Vengeance, along with your Giel SSD, JM, do my mod justice..I think putting in an Eclipse or two would be a little much Image<P>Oh, and I'd like to have your MC-80b, the new one that was on your 'new older' site, but is not on the current one.<P>JM, if you need some server-space, I have a DS-3 backbone at UIUC (University of Illinois), that has 3GB of space on it, if you want some space, let me know, then you could just create a link to the stuff you upload to your account and all that..It may be easier than E-Mailing, but whatever. Just thought I'd let you know I have the space if you need it for anything.<P>------------------<BR>Jorias Kell<BR>http://www.alteria7.com