Original X-Wing engine rebuilt project

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Original X-Wing engine rebuilt project

Old_Jedi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Old_Jedi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi

I've applied to be a tester - not done anything like this before but want to help and support you guys doing an amazing job in keeping this game (and XWA) alive. I know the gaming side X-wing very well - been playing it since 1994! No idea about coding though, although I hope I can do a suitable job in bug reporting.

OJ

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm

oh my, I have no idea how I managed to miss this for so long.
I caught a glimpse of the latest gameplay vid which directly followed the new vid by Kiarand of the updated XWA effects and WOW, I'm so looking forward to seeing this evolve.

Don't get me wrong, Id love to see the original XWA Engine pushed further still and thanks to Jeremy this may still yet happen, but your new engine allowing us to simply "drop in" the original games is awsome.

I really do hope that you manage to follow the XW-TF-XVT-XWA progression of upgrades within your new engine and where possible have them backward compatible so that XW can take advantage of them etc.

Trev

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:40 pm

This project is still going strong with a lot of progress behind the scenes.
Most of it can be seen on ModDB, GoG and FB.

If you're curious on which assets are done and which ones are missing and needed, you can have a look on this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

One more thing:
Does anyone here have any info regarding French releases of X-Wing?
From what I've read, there was a French package which included a French manual and the game in English, plus a booklet with the mission briefings in French.
Was there also a localised French X-Wing with voices or text-only? Are there any other localized international releases of X-Wing we're not aware of?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Im really looking forward to the future of this project and its hopeful evolution past the features of XWA. Cheers.
Image Image Image Image Image

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Thank you. :)

Looks like there is a French text-localisation but it is a fan-made one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAgqeeY0u0U
(Thanks to Laserschwert for finding it.)

I've gathered from many sources that there was a French release of X-Wing, but only the box and the manual are in French while the software itself is in English.

Mr_Blastman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Mr_Blastman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:27 pm

You guys are so awesome for doing this! Thank you.

That said, I have noticed that some of the models the X3 Star Wars mod are even better than what you're using, particularly some of the cockpits like the X-Wing and A-Wing. Have you ever thought about reaching out to the guy behind that project for sharing some of his models? The stuff he's creating is beautiful.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:40 am

Mr_Blastman wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:27 pm
You guys are so awesome for doing this! Thank you.
And I thank you for the compliment.
I probably speak for everyone on the team aswell as any X-Wing series fan when I say how excited we all are about this project.
Mr_Blastman wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:27 pm
That said, I have noticed that some of the models the X3 Star Wars mod are even better than what you're using, particularly some of the cockpits like the X-Wing and A-Wing. Have you ever thought about reaching out to the guy behind that project for sharing some of his models? The stuff he's creating is beautiful.
Currently, we use a lot of placeholder models from the XWA Upgrade Project (including the cockpits), which is the primary reason why there is no public release yet.
However, new models are being worked on, some of which you can see on ModDB already.
I've just had a look on the models of "Star Wars Mod Reborn" and they really look great. Reaching out to the author is something we can consider later on, especially when we get around making TIEVM.

One of my previous posts includes a link to the spreadsheet, which shows the status of XWVM's assets.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm

How is the main engine coming along for reading .tie mission files?

Trev

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Trevor wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm
How is the main engine coming along for reading .tie mission files?

Trev
As we are currently focusing on X-Wing, no work on reading tie-mission files has been done yet.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm

sorry, I meant the X-Wing variant of .tie - .brf is it? or .xmb?

trev

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:36 am

Trevor wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:20 pm
sorry, I meant the X-Wing variant of .tie - .brf is it? or .xmb?

trev
No problem. :)
X-Wing uses two separate formats, one for the briefings (.BRF) and one for the missions themselves (.XWI).
Both formats are supported by 95%. There may be a few bugs to work out which we may not have found yet.
Also, the Death Star missions and the maze aren't supported yet. :)

Safe-Keeper
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Safe-Keeper » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:00 am

The one thing I miss in TIE Fighter is having all those screens (damage, z key threat camera, message log, etc.) as one or more actual screens in the cockpit around you instead of as separate screens. For that reason alone this looks intriguing :P .

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 am

Behold! TerryB's Corellian Corvette, the (probably) most screen accurate CRV game mesh yet, has been implemented into XWVM:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm/images/in-game-corvette

If you'Re curios which assets are still missing, check out the progress table below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:22 pm

looking good so far

Trev

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 am

Two assets are close to completion.

The first one is Terry's ANH/RO-style Star Destroyer (aka ISD-I):
https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm/images/ ... n#imagebox
https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm/images/ ... o#imagebox

The second one is my TIE Fighter cockpit:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm/images/ ... r#imagebox

I'm curious to read about your thoughts. :)

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Pretty good work Targ. I feel like something is a little off on the cockpit but I'm guessing you still have more texture work to do.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:04 pm

ual002 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm
Pretty good work Targ. I feel like something is a little off on the cockpit but I'm guessing you still have more texture work to do.
Thanks. :)
Yes, there are some minor texture issues which I plan to fix after gathering feedback.
Could you be more specific on what exactly is off, so I can fix it as well?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:28 pm

I was trying to suggest it may have been texture related. I cant quite put my finger on it.

I'll give you my feeling when I see it though, being an empire/TIE fanboy I don't see it and think "slick, fast or Bad-guy", instead I think, oh wow, some of that design reminds me of XVT. Maybe, just kinda clunky in a "rounded edges" sort of fashion. I feel terrible saying those things though. Because they arent providing very specific feedback.

Maybe its color scheme related.

The wide FOV shot seems to have a better color scheme and overall detail, but the normal FOV POV shot seems like it can use more attention to detail.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:18 pm

ual002 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:28 pm
I was trying to suggest it may have been texture related. I cant quite put my finger on it.

I'll give you my feeling when I see it though, being an empire/TIE fanboy I don't see it and think "slick, fast or Bad-guy", instead I think, oh wow, some of that design reminds me of XVT. Maybe, just kinda clunky in a "rounded edges" sort of fashion. I feel terrible saying those things though. Because they arent providing very specific feedback.

Maybe its color scheme related.

The wide FOV shot seems to have a better color scheme and overall detail, but the normal FOV POV shot seems like it can use more attention to detail.
I think it may be related to the lighting in-game.
Don't worry, we're working on that. Once it has been improved, I'll share a new screenshot. :)

K-j
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by K-j » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 am

I notice XWVM has changed the Maze/Pilot Proving Grounds from moving platforms to rings to fly through, supposedly like something seen in the CGI Rebels series? Is there any hope of having this as an option rather than a replacement? Not only as to preserve it how the original game is, but also as there are many others who are no best pleased with Disney destroying the movie canon and the plentiful of contradictions and mistakes in their inferior, inauthentic spinoffs.

Apart from that, progress looks good. If the rest of the ships' placeholders are to be replaced with models along the same quality as that Corellian Corvette, this is going to look so good!

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:27 pm

K-j wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:47 am
I notice XWVM has changed the Maze/Pilot Proving Grounds from moving platforms to rings to fly through, supposedly like something seen in the CGI Rebels series? Is there any hope of having this as an option rather than a replacement? Not only as to preserve it how the original game is, but also as there are many others who are no best pleased with Disney destroying the movie canon and the plentiful of contradictions and mistakes in their inferior, inauthentic spinoffs.

Apart from that, progress looks good. If the rest of the ships' placeholders are to be replaced with models along the same quality as that Corellian Corvette, this is going to look so good!
I think there's a misunderstanding.
We intend to recreate the Proving Grounds as it was in the original X-Wing with the platforms and the gates.
The Salvage Yard Rings are part of X-Wing Alliance's Proving Grounds.

ivychat
Recruit

Post by ivychat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Just signing in and seeing this. Looks great. Didn't see anything about projected time for a release. Any guidance? Also, how are you doing the "look around" from within the cockpit? Mouse?

JapLance
Cadet 4th Class

Post by JapLance » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 am

Is this still alive? Squadrons has been a bit of a letdown for me, and I'd rather prefer this.
Greetings from Spain

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:06 pm

JapLance wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 am
Is this still alive? Squadrons has been a bit of a letdown for me, and I'd rather prefer this.
Still alive, they had to update to a more recent build of unity due to support being discontinued and that broke a lot of things.
They also try to keep it under the radar in case Disney lawyers decide to drop the hammer.

JapLance
Cadet 4th Class

Post by JapLance » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:13 am

Det. Bullock wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:06 pm
Still alive, they had to update to a more recent build of unity due to support being discontinued and that broke a lot of things.
They also try to keep it under the radar in case Disney lawyers decide to drop the hammer.
Good to know. Thanks for the info!
Greetings from Spain