WIP: Nebulon B Frigate Version 2.0

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

WIP: Nebulon B Frigate Version 2.0

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:53 pm

Following the discussions about the ability of the Nebby to host a squadron of starfighter, I decided to update the XWAUP OPT.
Thanks to Bmen, who has sent me the new high-resolution textures, I was able to create the Version 2.0 of this incredible model.

- First, I reorderd all faces in new mashes.
- Second, I improved all textures with High-definition BMP files and removed the flat textures.
- Third, I've created the new OPT mashes of three different hangar levels.
- Fourth, I'm opting 4 different versions of the Nebulon B Frigate.

It's a modular starships. Every unit can be customized to be specialized in different operations:

1. Standard = the Nebulon B Frigate with two-levels hangar. Only the lower hangar is open at the back
2. Medical = Redemption, the rebel hospital starship. Hangars have been closed and removed to host as many wounded as possible.
3. Strike = Standard version with an added flightdeck in the upper module. This version is able to launch more starfighters simultaneous.
4. Carrier = Strike version, with the upper hangar open sideways. Multiple starfighters can be launched and land at the same time, but the hull is more fragile.

Following I post some pictures of the "Carrier" version:

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:10 pm

Wow that is really nice :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:19 pm

Looks great, DTM!

Slightly off topic, I just a semi nerdgasm because of your bio.

"Resistance Mon Calamari Cruiser,"

The MC85 Raddus?! :D :D

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:03 am

Good God !! :shock: ...…. that is incredible DTM..... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:11 am

The nice thing is, with the opt replacer hook on a per-mission basis, you can have ALL of the versions available to use in one install!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:06 am

Good work

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:29 am

Oh man, this is looking really sweet!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:28 am

Driftwood wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:11 am
The nice thing is, with the opt replacer hook on a per-mission basis, you can have ALL of the versions available to use in one install!
Does “per-mission basis” mean that you can have all versions of the Nebulon B Frigate installed, but all the Nebulon B Frigates in a given mission must be of the same version?
If this is the case, it won’t be possible to distinguish FRG Redemption (medical version) from FRG Valiance (strike version) in the Battle of Endor.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:21 pm

The short answer is yes.

As if there was a distinction in the base game already? This isn't much of a complaint since its already the reality of the scenario at the moment.

The only other way you could have two different frigate models at this point using the same model is either to install the different versions in separate slots to have the same stats. Though thematically and for XWAU purposes it would make sense to have the hull rating lower for the less armored ships, so that would be one option, but the neb just isn't that interesting to warrant that outside of the XWAU patch as you would be giving up 3 additional install slots for essentially the same ship which would limit your slot choices if you wanted to install custom craft. The point of the opt replace hook is largely to have a work around for that limitation.

However, depending what DTM wants to do, he may opt to have all four versions installed to separate slots, which for a non modified install would be the obvious choice.

The only viable way to save slots if you are making a ship patch like dscup or your own custom heavily modified install, and be able to have two different frigate models would be to say put in the regular nebulon, then the modified nebulon, and then opt replace the modified nebulon with say the strike version, and the regular neb with the medical version, using your example of the battle of endor.

My overall point is as always, we now have multiple options for our games, and multiple avenues to approach modifications from while illustrating the desire to increase those options using hooks wherever possible to further increase our options beyond our currently hardcoded limit of available ship slots.

Generally speaking, there

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Nice. No need to give me any credit. Credit goes to SWG folks and Gank.

One idea. Is there any way the windows can be made brighter and the engine glows ?
If you need help with rotating gun turrets as the last step, give me holler. :-) Thanks DTM, looks great.

Re: Phoenix/Driftwood... in theory I'd say yes. Same way we just did with the Xwing. If you cloak the textures (transparency) on certain meshes, based on the FG "colors" as defined by AlliED, it might be possible to roll up two or all four into one model if it's not too complex and hit zones play a role for each mesh. Working around the hangars might be tricky. Otherwise as posted above, we can substitute in a text file another starship slot with similar attributes WhateverStarship.opt = Frigate2____.opt on a per mission basis, so you could have all 4 Nebulon types present. All depends on how DTM chooses to design it.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Very cool, will the "Strike" version have more weaponry like in the older games? It seemed way under armed in xwa

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:35 pm

I see you included the bridge windows as seen in Rebels. Or is that just a coincidence?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:24 am

Very nice... but I have to ask why the open hangar is on the starboard side? The x-wing games have traditionally placed the hangar (when present) on the port side, not starboard.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:35 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:24 am
The x-wing games have traditionally placed the hangar (when present) on the port side, not starboard.
Except for the fact that... no. :P

ImageImage
ImageImage
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:44 pm

lol
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

Really, is my memory this faulty? I swear it's always launched fighters to the left, never to the right.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Perhaps you also did the Hokey Cokey and you turn around
That's what it's all about... :lachtot: :lachtot:
- John Lydgate

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:11 am

Played original XW tour 1 mission 1 - a good example mission with a Neb B with way too many fighters for its internal space, btw - and apparently my memory is actually that faulty. So I stand corrected. :zensur: :hilfe: :zensur:

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am

I found it! It was the cutscenes! The hangar is on the other side in the original X-Wing proving ground transition cutscenes. That's what's been stuck in my head. https://youtu.be/CwjdASzky0c?t=324