XWAU 1.5, Joystick not responding

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

XWAU 1.5, Joystick not responding

Apocrypha
Rebel Alliance

Post by Apocrypha » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Hello there,

first of all, thanks for the awesome work and keeping this gem shiny.
I need a bit help. After patching the game to the latest XWAU v1.5 my T.Flight HOTAS stopped working.
I installed the game via Steam. Without XWAU everythink were fine. After the installation i checked the Hardware options in the "launcher" the joystick is even there. But in the game it deosn't respond and the controller mapping options are reduced to like 5 buttons (which also don't work) as like ~20 before.

Since english isn't my native language, please apologize my "easy" sentences.

Thank you for your help already. :^^:

Apocrypha

EDIT: Spelling.

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Did you add any additional files or mods after XWAUP was installed? I don't think there is anything by default that would modify the joystick stuff.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Hello,
You can try the latest version of ddraw.dll:
https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddra ... ses/latest

If it doesn't work, you can try the previous version:
https://github.com/JeremyAnsel/xwa_ddra ... ses/latest

brassman2468
Cadet 4th Class

Post by brassman2468 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:08 pm

I remember having a similar problem with my joystick not being recognized. Try opening the DDraw.cfg file with a text editor such as Notepad and changing the line JoystickEmul = -1 to JoystickEmul = 0. That solved it for me.

Apocrypha
Rebel Alliance

Post by Apocrypha » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Thank you very much!

@Justagai
It was a stock installation of XWA and after that XWAU. I tried to reinstall and had the same issue.

@JeremyaFr
The latest version didn't work but the previous version did it! Thank you very much!

@brassman2468
that might be the reason. It works now but it may be interesting for future updates of XWAU.

Thank you all. Pew pew some imperials now. =)

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 am

Apocrypha wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:58 pm
Thank you very much!

@Justagai
It was a stock installation of XWA and after that XWAU. I tried to reinstall and had the same issue.

@JeremyaFr
The latest version didn't work but the previous version did it! Thank you very much!

@brassman2468
that might be the reason. It works now but it may be interesting for future updates of XWAU.

Thank you all. Pew pew some imperials now. =)
Did you replace the ddraw.dll file after installing XWAUP by any chance? Just wondering what might have been the cause of the issue.

Apocrypha
Rebel Alliance

Post by Apocrypha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Nope I didn't.

It seemed, that the problem is the ddraw.cfg, like 'brassman2468' said. XWAU 1.5 comes with a cfg where is "JoystickEmul = -1" exactly like your new .dll download link (1.5.7) but the old dll link (1.3.6) hasn't this line at all in its cfg.

Hope it :hilfe: s.

EDIT: Spelling.
2nd EDIT: It might be cool to upload a updated version with an untouched line if its posssible. I think it would be less confusing. :)

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Interesting...I thought XWAUP had Jeremy's ddraw which didn't include the joystick emulation stuff. Or maybe Jeremy's ddraw did have it at one point? Whichever the case, I now know how your issue manifested and I'm looking to solve the issue with Reimar.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:02 pm

If you have a gamepad, make sure to disconnect it. The case when there is both a Joystick and a gamepad connected is handled badly currently.
Though the controller mapping options reduced to 5 seems a bit weird.
EDIT: ok, if Justagai found the cause I can discuss with him how we'll solve it.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:44 pm

We came up with a binary for testing https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddra ... /ddraw.zip
It should avoid using the XInput interface (which is designed for gamepads and has some limitations) if you have a real joystick connected.
Interested in feedback whether it works for you.