XWAUCP 1.6 has been released

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

XWAUCP 1.6 has been released

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:42 am

And the XWAUCP 1.6 is finally here. After so many new ships and features Darksaber decided it was time to make a new complete crafts pack. There are tons of changes in this one. So make sure to head over to the downloads section and grab it!
Changelog wrote: - All the latest Hooks by Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) as of February 26, 2019
- The TIE Resolution options have been removed from the installer
- Added a Widescreen Resolutions option to the installer
- Added the ability to select your own Destination Folder
- Added the Humble Trove version of XWA to the Required Media section of the installer
- All of the TIE Cockpits models have updated due to the limited view, they now have a wider field of view
- While altering the TIE Fighter Cockpits, Darksaber has recolored all the TIE’s, they are now a muted blue/green/grey color
- Advanced Basic OPT Project, adding the Pilot, Cockpit and Interiors to the Base opts. All fighter type craft and a few shuttle type craft have had the ABOP treatment
- With the addition of new Hooks by Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) another idea was proposed, to add Landing Gear to most of the playable Starfighters, it works on the same principle as the S-Foils. DTM set about adding landing gear to the X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, Z-95, and T-Wing and has done a wonderful job, later came the Missile Boat and Gunboat.
- The Assault Gunboat has had a major update by DTM, The wings and laser cannons have been reworked to introduce S-Foils, and to give to this imperial fighter a more aggressive and powerful aspect. All external textures have been repainted in HD by DTM, following the old lines designed by the original author (Matt). And to color match the TIE’s, some small details have been added by DTM, thanks to the HD features.
- Y-Wing textures have had another update and the T-Wing, the R5 unit has been removed as it was to the wrong scale, and the textures have been muted removing the yellowish color.
- A SLAM System has been added to the Missile Boat thanks to Justagai who initially found the offsets and to Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) who created the Slam Hook, this hook enables the SLAM system when the K key is pressed.
- The Firespray (Slave1) has had an overhaul, with the addition of the S-Foils Hook by Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr), Darksaber had the idea of trying to get the craft to rotate 90 degrees so the engines would be facing downwards in the landing, so with a bit of tinkering from Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) to the S-Foils Hook and DTM coming up with a solution to the angle rotation together we have managed to get the Firespray to rotate exactly how we wanted it to.
- DTM’s Imperial Research Station – Based on the Imperial Construction Modules as seen in Star Wars Rebels
- Darksaber and Driftwood updated Luxury Yacht – Which now includes Cockpit and Interior
- Driftwood and Darksaber’s New Rebel Platform – A totally different design from the original Rebel Platform
- Warb_Null a New member (and prolific modeller of numerous games) joined the team with his take on the Satellites and Comm Relay
- Darksaber’s Lambda Shuttle also had an upgrade, thanks to Driftwood a Cockpit has been added and it also has a working Rear Gunner Turret. In addition the textures for the Shuttle have had a HD overhaul and Darksaber has also added Flightgroup colours
- DTM updated the Nebulon-B Frigate with 4 different versions:- Standard: with a single deck hangar, Strike: with a double deck hangar, Carrier: with a multiple deck hangar (this is the version seen in the original TG games) and Medical: the Redemption seen in the movie, no hangar!
- Warb_Null then released the Pinook Fighter, a really great model with some cool new ideas, including an RX series droid and landing gear
- Warb_Null also gave us his awesome interpretation of the QX5 Platform
- Darksaber and Driftwood also gave us a New CR90 Corvette, original model and textures are by Andrew Barragan (Barraganap) used with permission, you have a choice of 7 different versions.
- Warb_Null’s New Cargo Facility 2
- Darksaber updated the A-Wing to include a new cockpit with HD textures based on the images of the A-Wing Cockpit from First Strike Star Wars Mod for Battlefield 2142.
- General Trageton has updated his ATR-6 Assault Transport to include HD textures
- General Trageton added another release with his stunning Space Colony 1
- Decoy’s Z-95 HeadHunter has been removed from the Installer, sorry but it was a little outdated.
- DTM has finished his Super Backdrop v2.0, this new version introduces new starfields, which characterize the different regions that are visited during the XWA campaign.
- The Imperial Star Destroyer 2 has had a bit of an update thanks to DTM, now comes with Flightgroup Colours Red = Empire, Gold = Captured by the Rebel Alliance, Blue = New Republic, Green = Chimaera.
- DTM has also updated his Strike Cruiser with HD texture.
- Darksaber updated the R-41 Starchaser, due to strange shadowing caused by having a physical open tube for missile launchers on top of the main fuselage; he’s also updated some of the textures to HD.
- The Lasers and Ions have had a makeover with the addition of Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) the Weapons Color Hook, Darksaber has updated all the Laser and Ion Opts, You now have two choices of Lasers, Standard XWA Lasers or Star Wars Battlefield 2 Lasers
- To take advantage of Weapons Color Hook you may notice a few changes to the color of the Lasers and Ions from certain craft, it’s not a bad change, it just takes a little getting used too, it’s probably not canon but who cares. If you don’t like what we have come up with you can blame DTM, he came up with what craft fire which colour laser.
- Laser Count from 64 to 256 option has been totally removed, as if applied, missions became out of balance and usually unplayable.
- At the beginning of the year (Jan 2019) Jérémy Ansel (JérémyaFr) updated the hooks to add support for .ini files per-craft or per-mission, (Please Note: the.txt files are still supported) so instead of having to deal with countless *.txt files, in some cases 5 *.txt files per craft, this number has now been reduced to one *.ini files which was a bit of a relief. PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THESE FILES!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Wow. What an outstanding update.

Thank you to all who participated in what looks like an out-of-this world patch. Great job!

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks to all

Will Darksaber also bring out a new Verion of his pack?

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Whoa! What a haul! :D

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 pm

Avarice1987 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:28 pm
Thanks to all

Will Darksaber also bring out a new Verion of his pack?
Yup, it's out now.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:07 am

fantastic news! time to make a new backup
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 am

OMFG! I wasn't expecting this, I figured it would be a couple of years XD. So much great work! Big thanks to everyone, and DS for additionally putting it all together.

[EDIT]

Couple of niggles for next time.

1) It would be nice to also include the framerate options along with the resolution. I can never go back to 30 fps with XWA (XvT I don't mind, but XWA it's a huge improvement, go figure).
2) Why is Han always default for the Millennium Falcon? Messes with the continuity of the main campaign. Don't mind having the option, but I think default should always be in service to the main game, and it has been 1001 times for me hitting that button since the Falcon was released.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Thank you for adding the wide screen options to the installer.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm

darklord wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 am
Couple of niggles for next time.

1) It would be nice to also include the framerate options along with the resolution. I can never go back to 30 fps with XWA (XvT I don't mind, but XWA it's a huge improvement, go figure).
So basically you want me to add this to the installers
XwaHacker.jpg
JeremyaFr wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:15 pm
UPDATE

Hello,
I've included the 60 fps patch to the time hook.

Please redownload xwa_hook_time.zip
The Time Hook is included with the installers which includes the 60FPS patch! Plus what would be the point in adding FPS options to the installer when you can do it all with XxaHacker?
darklord wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 am
2) Why is Han always default for the Millennium Falcon? Messes with the continuity of the main campaign. Don't mind having the option, but I think default should always be in service to the main game, and it has been 1001 times for me hitting that button since the Falcon was released.
So your complaining that you have to select a different option each time you install XWAUCP or DSUCP just because the Lando version of the Falcon isn't default so it messes up the Death Star run for you? :kopfwand: :kopfwand: :kopfwand: :irre: Are you serious?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Great release, congratulations to everybody involved! :) :)

Could anybody post picture of the new A-wing cockpit, please? I am not by my computer now. Thanks!
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Sure here you go

It's based on this awing cockpit from Firststrike, I hope the people who made the first strike version don't mind me copying there design, I think I got my model and textures pretty close :) afterall "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :)

This is what it look like now (I'll just add that I've tried to repilcate the textures as best I could from the Firststrike image above :) )

And here are a couple to show off the illumination

I've also updated the pilot textures and the main body of the craft has been updated with highres textures too :)

Without canopy glass

With transparent canopy glass

Red Base

Gold Base

Blue Base

Green Base
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Wow! Great screenshots. The cockpit is very nice.
Thank you Darksaber.
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Your welcome :)
- John Lydgate

Omega1
Recruit

Post by Omega1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Nice update guys, I am really hoping for a YT-1300/Millennium Falcon model update in the future, something that looks more like the variant from Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi:

Otherwise keep up the good work, as it keeps breathing life into this excellent Star Wars game.

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:56 am

Darksaber wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm

So your complaining that you have to select a different option each time you install XWAUCP or DSUCP just because the Lando version of the Falcon isn't default so it messes up the Death Star run for you? :kopfwand: :kopfwand: :kopfwand: :irre: Are you serious?
Calm down man, no one said anything is ruined. Personally I am perfectly Ok choosing various options. I do so every time, but wouldn't it be nice to have one less for the must have? Anyway calm down, take a step back and think objectively. I am saying that the default has a purpose of being the recommended setting. Yes? Therefore, is it your recommendation to go with the Han Chewie option? I just wanted to point out that that doesn't mesh with the XWAU goal for the XWAUCP. Absolutely you are right it is stupidly minor. I even stated as such. Of course, don't rebuild the whole 1.6 package for such a stupid thing. Just think about it for next time.
Darksaber wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm

The Time Hook is included with the installers which includes the 60FPS patch! Plus what would be the point in adding FPS options to the installer when you can do it all with XxaHacker?
I get the feeling you were angry before you posted and took it out on me. Fine.

When I installed it, it was still at 30, I must have missed something to get the hook working. If that's there, then great. Nothing else is needed. I just know it didn't work for me out of the box and I missed that part of the readme so I didn't know it existed. I'll have to look at it.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm

New cockpit look good. I prefer the older one for it'S displays, but that's a personal preference at that point, only thing I would probably modify to make the new A-Wing cockpit better is the placement of the shield gauge, to put it in the left circle display, like in this first strike video :
https://youtu.be/LH0Hq9gQ-L0?t=181

or actually, I just did it, will post a screenshot later if I have time :) (No it does not give me texturer or modelling talent, texture swap is easy to do
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks to everyone who put in all the hard work on this. I can't wait to try it out. I like the look of that updated A-wing cockpit.

Is it okay to install this on top of the previous 1.5 update? Or would I be better off installing 1.6 on top of a clean installation?

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:14 pm

must be clean as far as I know.
it makes a backup of the current ships so if you already have 1.5 installed then you will not be able to uninstall 1.5 in the future (and now be left with it in Add/Remove Programs)

Trev

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 pm

Amazing efforts everyone! Nice to see all these beauties.

There is a small issue I've noticed though: when playing a mission after selecting the FHD option (1920x1080), I've found that the containers J are not entirely shown on the CMD when targeted (I can post a video if you wish); in other words they "seem" to be too big.
Then I played the same mission using the default 800x600 resolution and the problem was not present.

After comparing all the screen resolution options I think I've found out what causes the problem: for some widescreen resolutions the HUD is not scaled correctly.

Here are the default screen resolutions and the V-Ratio (ratio between the vertical resolution and the HUD size)
1) 800x600 HUD: 1.00 V-Ratio: 600
2) 1024x768 HUD: 1.28 V-Ratio: 600
3) 1152x864 HUD: 1.44 V-Ratio: 600
4) 1280x1024 HUD:1.80 V-Ratio: 568.89 (this is the only 5/4 resolution)
5) 1600x1200 HUD: 2.00 V-Ratio: 600

The simplest conclusion is that 600 is the right value for the V-Ratio.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:56 pm

And here are the widescreen resolution options
1280x720 HUD: 1.20 V-Ratio: 600
1280x768 HUD: 1.28 V-Ratio: 600
1280x800 HUD: 1.33 V-Ratio: 601.50
1366x768 HUD: 1.28 V-Ratio: 600
1680x1050 HUD: 1.49 V-Ratio: 704.70
1920x1080 HUD: 1.49 V-Ratio: 724.83
1440x900 HUD: 1.49 V-Ratio: 604.03
1600x900 HUD: 1.49 V-Ratio: 604.03

It seems the HUD scale for the 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 options is not correct.

These are the HUD scale values to keep the V-Ratio at 600:
1680x1050 HUD: 1.75
1920x1080 HUD: 1.80
1440x900 HUD: 1.50
1600x900 HUD: 1.50
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 pm

That's fair enough but if your changing the HUD scale above 1.49 your going to get corrupted fonts,

This is the reason why 1680x1050 , 1920x1080, 1440x900 and 1600x900 the HUD scale are all set to 1.49

Try it yourself, set the any of the Hud Scales you supplied and take a good look at the fonts in game especially across the top of the screen

Personally I would sooner be able to read the text on screen and have the the cmd filled with a craft especially a container, it's not that often your going to be targeting a container, plus changing the Hud scale to your suggested scales doesn't actually make that much difference!
- John Lydgate

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 pm

I have noticed that in 1.6 a lot of ships appear to smooth-shade all over (XWA tries to shade the B-Wing main wing as a cylinder instead of flat)
XWAUP1.6TooSmooth.jpg
this might be because the opt editor doesn't have an option to split vertices along creases but the x-wing example should look more like
XWAUP1.6_Toosmooth-expected.png
Notice the sharp crease along the nose and the box indent.

The Gunboat -in contrast to the rest of the ships- does seem to have very nice creasing showing the wings as flat and the missile launchers as cubic.

As I say, this may be an Opt editor issue, but it affects XWAUP/DSUCP.

Trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 pm

The X-Wing is shaded exactly the same in XWAUCPv1.5 as it is in XWAUCPv1.6, but the version in v1.6 has been updated with landing gear, and is a newer version.

Your comparing the Xwing from within XWA and a rendering program, which has a totally different way of shading an object

You can test for yourself, you should be able to install v1.5 and then install v1.6 to a different XWA location, I think the results will be the same though.

EDIT
I have a theory though, DTM's version of the Assault Gunboat may have been run through a program that can be downloaded from my site called XWAOpter, I've just run the xwing through it and it does appear to sharpen the creases, but personally I don't like using it, as in game it creates other shading problems, the shading seems to flicker which I don't like, again if you wish test it to see for yourself.
- John Lydgate

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 pm

yeah, just noticed its the same in 1.5, its been a long running issue that I neglected to mention before.

As for comparing in game to render, I couldn't re-import the creased x-wing back into game because I lost all the hardpoints and engine glows etc after re-importing the model after manually splitting the vertices along creases.
however, I guess at this point its more a topic for the editor and no longer for UP/DSUCP

Also, isn't the new editor by Jeremy the only one to support HD? wouldn't using any other program crash/break HD?

Trev

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 am

Can you show an example of splitting the vertices along the crease I'm not quiet sure what you mean

Jeremy just released Optechv2.0, that handles HD textures just fine
- John Lydgate