XWAUpgrade 1.6 and ReShade cause lots of glitches

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWAUpgrade 1.6 and ReShade cause lots of glitches

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:39 am

Hello guys

I've been looking on the web and on this forum for answers; but I don't think I've seen anything like this problem yet. So I was wondering if maybe someone would be able to help.

First, let me start by saying that this upgrade is amazing. I never thought I would be able to play this game again with updated graphics.

Anyway, so I bought XWA from GOG and the installed xwaupgrade 1.6. So far so good. I didn't apply any extra hacks and I decided to use the default resolution settings when installing xwaupgrade.

Then I decided to install Reshade and as soon as I start any mission I get something that looks like the following:
glitches-1.png
In the image it's not obvious; but the cockpit and all the 3D elements flicker constantly when I move (and sometimes they disappear completely). I haven't even enabled any Reshade effects -- the mere presence of Reshade causes this.

If I uninstall Reshade, everything works again. Conversely, if I uninstall the xwaupgrade *then* I can use Reshade (with the old graphics). It just doesn't look like I can use both at the same time.

I'm running on Win10 64-bit and a GeForce GTX 745. I've already updated nVidia's drivers to latest-and-greatest; but that didn't help.

Anyway, just wondering if someone has seen anything like this. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:06 am

I just tried using xwahacker and ran fixedclear.bat and 32bitmode.bat. I also tried using the lowest resolution (640x480). Still didn't work.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:30 pm

Its a limitation/problem with ddraw11 by Jeremy.
Ideally, he needs to add this stuff to draw directly.

Trev

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, Trevor. So is this a known issue then?

JinKazama16
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by JinKazama16 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 am

no updates with this yet? i also tried the same method but haven't tried it with TG Models
Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

BDO
Recruit

Post by BDO » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:52 pm

I have a Steam environment, but I have similar problems.

JinKazama16
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by JinKazama16 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:46 am

I Think, I Found a little fix to our problem, try opening the Ddraw.cfg
and look for this line EnableMultisamplingAntialiasing = 0 change it to 1, then save it and try the game that's what i notice the glitchy models are now fix
blue_max wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:39 am
Hello guys

I've been looking on the web and on this forum for answers; but I don't think I've seen anything like this problem yet. So I was wondering if maybe someone would be able to help.

First, let me start by saying that this upgrade is amazing. I never thought I would be able to play this game again with updated graphics.

Anyway, so I bought XWA from GOG and the installed xwaupgrade 1.6. So far so good. I didn't apply any extra hacks and I decided to use the default resolution settings when installing xwaupgrade.

Then I decided to install Reshade and as soon as I start any mission I get something that looks like the following:

glitches-1.png

In the image it's not obvious; but the cockpit and all the 3D elements flicker constantly when I move (and sometimes they disappear completely). I haven't even enabled any Reshade effects -- the mere presence of Reshade causes this.

If I uninstall Reshade, everything works again. Conversely, if I uninstall the xwaupgrade *then* I can use Reshade (with the old graphics). It just doesn't look like I can use both at the same time.

I'm running on Win10 64-bit and a GeForce GTX 745. I've already updated nVidia's drivers to latest-and-greatest; but that didn't help.

Anyway, just wondering if someone has seen anything like this. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

BDO
Recruit

Post by BDO » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:17 pm

It is ready to play. Thank you!

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:33 am

> Ideally, he needs to add this stuff to draw directly.

I wouldn't really be able to explain what would cause it to not work only when MSAA is off, but I don't see any issues reported on github on either of the projects.
If you think something needs to be fixed, you should create an issue with a detailed description of what causes the issue, why, and what needs to be fixed/added.

bazr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by bazr » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:00 pm

I had this same reshade issue in X-wing vs Tie Fighter as well. Enabling the MSAA in the cfg file also fixed it for me. Unfortunately the 60 fps is no longer maxed constantly for me and I'm losing 10-15 frames per second with MSAA enabled. Not sure if that is my CPU or video card causing a bottleneck. I use a i7 4770 clocked at about 4 ghz with an nvidia 660 ti.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sat May 11, 2019 1:50 pm

There was a bit of discussion on github: https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddra ... /issues/16
As far as I can tell enabling MSAA is just a very roundabout way to disable the depth buffer capture for ReShade.
Thus I guess you'd either want a ReShade option to just disable the depth buffer read, of for them to debug their depth buffer read heuristics to work properly with XWA.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Instead of enabling MSAA, you can set "DepthBufferRetrievalMode=1" in "ReShade.ini".
It seems to work.