Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Rants & spoilers)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 am

Pretty cynical about the whole crumby new trilogy but even I had to grin a little seeing Lando

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 am

They're going to kill off Lando, too, aren't they? :sad2:

Still, I guess (according to early drafts of RotJ) the Falcon was never meant to make it back out, so he's been on borrowed time since Endor. :D

"No-one's ever really gone", anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter, lol.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 am

lol, oh no!

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 am

I doubt Lando is going to die.

I love TLJ and TFA, I'm really excited.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 pm

Interesting! I just saw the localized german trailer that came out today. Palpatine‘s laugh sounded very similar to his original voice actor from RotJ.

They had replaced the old voice actor for TPM, likely due to old age, and used the new one consistently ever since, including the reshot scene in TESB. That actor’s voice fit quite well with the „good guy“ Palpatine but totally lacked that raspy snarl that made the emperor‘s voice so iconic. So this definitely sounds promising!

Edit: ok I assume they used an archived sample from RotJ, as the actor died in 2001. I thought it sounded familiar ...
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed May 01, 2019 2:41 am

It's the same for the English trailer, Ian said it was an old recording.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Woopdeedoop here comes the new teaser!
https://youtu.be/3n1T3HxHd7Y

That last shot :shock: :shock: :shock:
The last time I've seen someone actually wielding a flip-saber was the Temple Guardians in Rebels. Even more shocking: The blade is red and it's kinda unstable like Kylo's... :shock:

PS: Damn that's a lot of star destroyers! Most of them seem to be Mk1's .... And Y-Wings and B-Wings :ugeek:

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:36 pm

I don't know anything about "flip sabers", but Rey originally learned to fight with a staff, so giving her (something like) a saber staff is a gimme.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:40 pm

The interesting thing about those ISDs is that they have giant cannons in place where the hangar should be.

https://external-preview.redd.it/ta2EiS ... 61d6598649

Clearly though there will be Palpatine loyalists in the movie that are independent of the First Order.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Wow didnt notice those in the first place. Maybe thats where that big red beam is coming from.

I did read somewhere that there would be some sizeable Palpy backup force though I didnt expect it to be that big ....

As for the staff yeah makes sense, I was just referring to the flippable hilt.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm getting the vibe that is actually an old imperial boneyard. No running lights, grid positioning of ships on what looks like a single plain.

My hopes of Thrawn returning to put down the first order may be a little too shortsighted.
Image Image Image Image Image

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 pm

The ISDs also have a red trim like the one we saw in the teaser.

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 pm

The new trilogy tried so hard to be inclusive that it is actually unintentionally misogynistic when you think about it. Compare and contrast to Luke, who finds the charred remains of his adopted parents, gets his ass kicked by Vader and loses a hand, Rey doesn’t really face nearly the same challenges. She beats Kylo Ren with minimal training, beats him AGAIN in the second movie, and has “fun” shooting down TIE Fighters. She never has to overcome defeat like Luke does. This plays into certain narratives about women and adversity I don’t think they intended.

Anyway the Red letter media guys have some interesting (and hilarious) predictions:
https://youtu.be/gzeOrA2in1c

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:53 pm

That is not even remotely misogynistic. Not to be political but its frankly a feminist red herring. Feminine primary point of reference agenda was plainly stated by Kathleen Kennedy anyways "thebforce is female". Pretty obvious intent here. Rey is supposed to embody the strong woman fallacy. By this, "strong woman" is essentially a female exhibiting masculine traits equal to (in this case superior) a man.

Rey and the entire plot development for the new trilogy is frankly bad writing all around. Never mind how most of the men are talked down to by the women or portrayed in an inferior light in both new movies thus far.

How Solo and Rogue one avoided being overly politicized like the new trilogy is beyond me.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:12 pm

WarHawkster wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 pm
The new trilogy tried so hard to be inclusive that it is actually unintentionally misogynistic when you think about it. Compare and contrast to Luke, who finds the charred remains of his adopted parents, gets his ass kicked by Vader and loses a hand, Rey doesn’t really face nearly the same challenges. She beats Kylo Ren with minimal training, beats him AGAIN in the second movie, and has “fun” shooting down TIE Fighters. She never has to overcome defeat like Luke does. This plays into certain narratives about women and adversity I don’t think they intended.

Anyway the Red letter media guys have some interesting (and hilarious) predictions:
Rey doesn't even fight Kylo in the second movie.

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:24 pm

Jaeven wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:12 pm
WarHawkster wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Rey doesn't even fight Kylo in the second movie.
Oh, my mistake then.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Since we're having a discussion about the Sequels, I would say this though. While it's true that on an individual level the characters don't face the torment of some of the OT ones, I would argue they actually face greater challenges than in the OT.

Sure, they destroy Starkiller Base. But not before it wipes out the New Republic Fleet, Senate and basically decapitates whats left of the New Republic, allowing the First Order to take over most of the galaxy in a blitzkrieg.

Same story in the second movie. Yes, the First Order takes horrendous losses. But where the Resistance once had a base and fleet and thousands of personnel, they're down to two dozen people that fit on the Falcon. Even on Hoth the good guys didn't get beaten down to that kind of level.

We'll obviously have to see what happens in Episode 9, but I don't think it's fair to say the ST characters didn't have challenges.
Last edited by Jaeven on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 pm

Driftwood wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:53 pm
That is not even remotely misogynistic. Not to be political but its frankly a feminist red herring. Feminine primary point of reference agenda was plainly stated by Kathleen Kennedy anyways "thebforce is female". Pretty obvious intent here. Rey is supposed to embody the strong woman fallacy. By this, "strong woman" is essentially a female exhibiting masculine traits equal to (in this case superior) a man.

Rey and the entire plot development for the new trilogy is frankly bad writing all around. Never mind how most of the men are talked down to by the women or portrayed in an inferior light in both new movies thus far.

How Solo and Rogue one avoided being overly politicized like the new trilogy is beyond me.
I get that’s the intent, but my point is that they are propping up the female characters by giving them enormous advantages they wouldn’t give a male character. This begs the question why they need to be propped up in the first place.

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Jaeven wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm
Since we're having a discussion about the Sequels, I would say this though. While it's true that on an individual level the characters don't face the torment of some of the OT ones, I would argue they actually face greater challenges than in the OT.

Sure, they destroy Starkiller Base. But not before it wipes out the New Republic Fleet, Senate and basically decapitates whats left of the New Republic, allowing the First Order to take over most of the galaxy in a blitzkrieg.

Same story in the second movie. Yes, the First Order takes horrendous losses. But where the Resistance once had a base and fleet and thousands of personnel, they're down to two dozen people that fit on the Falcon. Even on Hoth the good guys didn't get beaten down to that kind of level.

We'll obviously have to see what happens in Episode 9, but I don't think it's fair the ST characters didn't have challenges.
They seemed pretty happy at the end of TLJ, laughing and slapping each other on the backs.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 pm

WarHawkster wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 pm
Jaeven wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

We'll obviously have to see what happens in Episode 9, but I don't think it's fair the ST characters didn't have challenges.
They seemed pretty happy at the end of TLJ, laughing and slapping each other on the backs.
Because they narrowly escaped what they had already accepted as certain doom. You see it in the scene where phantom Luke talks to Leia in the command center on Crait. I think their relief after escaping is understandable. I mean, you see Leia celebrating on the Falcon when they escape the Death Star, even though Alderaan was blown to pieces a few hours earlier.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Jaeven wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 pm
...a few hours earlier.
Outer Rim to Core takes weeks to travel with a Class 2.0 hyperdrive. Death Star is packing a Class 4.0, meaning it'd lag waaaay behind the Falcon's Class 0.5.

I very much doubt ANH takes place over a span of much less than a month. :geek:

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Rich C wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:38 pm
Outer Rim to Core takes weeks to travel with a Class 2.0 hyperdrive. Death Star is packing a Class 4.0, meaning it'd lag waaaay behind the Falcon's Class 0.5.

I very much doubt ANH takes place over a span of much less than a month. :geek:
You’re thinking “celebrations after the Battle of Yavin”.
We’re thinking “Obi-Wan died minutes ago and the Falcon is still in visual range of the Death Star”.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Well... d'oh. :ops:

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:57 pm

I think a lot of the problems people have with the new Trilogy are really problems with The Last Jedi.

The Force Awakens is not a perfect movie, by any means, but its main flaw is a failure to establish the "big picture" stakes the two sides are fighting for. We see the Republic Capital get blown up along with the main Republic fleet but we don't get any context for how big the Republic is, what the leadership is like etc. As a result, it's difficult to understand, on a fundamental level, what this disaster means for the galaxy.

If you compare this to the original trilogy - that establishes stakes by placing you on a backwater planet and showing you that even here the Empire is in control, so you understand "The Empire" really does control the whole galaxy, or near enough. The prequels did sort of the opposite by sending two Jedi all the way from the Republic Capital to the Mid Rim to address a trade dispute - then you get to see the capital anyway and see how big it is.

Apparently JJ Abrams planned and at least partially shot scenes on Hosniak Prime that would have helped to explain what was going on but then cut them because it felt too like the prequels and he wanted to avoid that.

That issue aside, yes Rey is "too powerful" out the gate but its strongly implied there is a reason for this and it's just something neither she, nor we, know yet.

If The Last Jedi had actually followed The Force Awakens like a proper Second Act it would have been much less frustrating. As it is JJ and Kathleen Kennedy let Rian Johnson do completely his own thing and its clear he believed it what he was doing because he said Mark Hamill should win an Oscar. It's also apparent Rian Johnson is a fan and does understand Star Wars to a point because the "flying Leia" scene actually makes perfect sense. The reason Leia has her hand reaching out like that is because she's reaching for the hatch - essentially she's doing the same as Luke did in ESB with his Lightsaber but because she's pulling on a ship hatch she gets pulled to the ship rather than the other way around - she's not actually "flying."

In any case, alarm bells should have gone off when Mark Hamill started expressing concerns about Rian Johnson's vision towards the end of filming The Force Awakens. At that point JJ should been given more executive control. As it was Rian Johnson got to do completely his own thing - which is basically a study in what it means to be a failure - focusing on an old, retired, Jedi Master and his disillusionment with the galaxy.

If it was a comic set during the Tales of the Jedi era we'd all be saying how great it was. As it is, it's a mess and it dropped the ball.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Well regarding Rey I‘m still clinging to the old theory that she‘s a descendant of Palpatine. Even if her parents were nobodies like Kylo claimed, Palpatine could be old enough to be her grandfather or even great-grandfather. Seeing how powerful and adept he already was as a youth (Darth Plagueis novel) it would be a plausible explaination for her innate power and proficiency despite lack of training.