Crash on second part of Deep Space Strike Evaluation

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Crash on second part of Deep Space Strike Evaluation

AratanAenor
Recruit

Post by AratanAenor » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

I recently bought XWA from Steam and installed XWAUCP 1.6. I was able to play through the early family missions without any problems. However, every time I reach the second stage of the Deep Space Strike Evaluation (attacking the cruiser parked at a repair depot), my game crashes with an unhandled exception at 0x000d332d and exception code 0xc000005.

There doesn't seem to be a specific trigger. In the first instance, it crashed immediately upon exiting hyperspace from the first stage. The second time, I was able to fire a volley of torpedoes, jump to the Defiance, land, rearm, and then jump back before it crashed. The third time, it crashed while I was flying around to get into a firing position. The only consistent factor is that it only happens when I am in that one area for the second part of the mission.

I searched the forums for "0x000d332d" and the only matching issue I found was resolved by disabling the Discord overlay. I tried that and I also tried turning Discord off (including background processes), but the problem persists.

Here is the Application Error report from Windows Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: XwingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Faulting module name: XwingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x3765a9b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000d332d
Faulting process id: 0x4bc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d52ad65b305867
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XwingAlliance.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XwingAlliance.exe
Report Id: 53993271-622f-48cc-9c0e-55eefc9cbf0a
And my system specifications:
Processor: AMD FX-8350 (8 Cores, XwingAlliance.exe is running on the second core)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 (AMD Driver date: 3/25/2019)

Justagai
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Justagai » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 am

I'm going to shoot in the dark here and its going to probably miss but...

I noticed that based on the crash reports we've been getting lately there is one thing that is common between them and that is the player is in a Y-Wing. Not sure if changing craft will prevent the crashes (I would change all Y-wing craft into something else in the mission) but its worth a shot.

Does any other mission crash where you aren't in a Y-wing?

AratanAenor
Recruit

Post by AratanAenor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:28 am

Justagai wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 am
I'm going to shoot in the dark here and its going to probably miss but...

I noticed that based on the crash reports we've been getting lately there is one thing that is common between them and that is the player is in a Y-Wing. Not sure if changing craft will prevent the crashes (I would change all Y-wing craft into something else in the mission) but its worth a shot.

Does any other mission crash where you aren't in a Y-wing?
I did not think about craft selection. Right now the Y-wing is a common factor in my crashes, but that's because the Y-wing is the only craft I have available for that mission. When I get home from work, I will try a couple of skirmishes with teams of Y-wings and see if I get the same crash.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Never had issues in skirmish with the y-wing, but it may have something to do relative to the mission. That said most of the crashes, if not all, people are reporting I have honestly never experienced myself.

Open up the affected mission in allied and replace the ywing(s) with the bwing or some other craft with ion cannons (or whatever) for testing purposes. Run it through a few times, and if it doesnt crash then we may need to see what may be wrong with the ywing opt.

AratanAenor
Recruit

Post by AratanAenor » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 am

Driftwood wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm
Open up the affected mission in allied and replace the ywing(s) with the bwing or some other craft with ion cannons (or whatever) for testing purposes. Run it through a few times, and if it doesnt crash then we may need to see what may be wrong with the ywing opt.
It crashes no matter what craft I replace the Y-wings with. I removed every craft in the second area and it doesn't crash anymore. So that narrows it down to the gun platforms, the repair yard, or the carrack cruiser. I don't have any more time to play with it today, I'll try adding each craft one-by-one tomorrow to see if I can figure out which one it is.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 am

That is very, very strange.

AratanAenor
Recruit

Post by AratanAenor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 am

Driftwood wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:43 am
That is very, very strange.
It gets even stranger. Playing using the vanilla mission file causes the same crash. Every. Single. Time. But if I open the mission in Allied, save a new copy of the mission, and then play it, then there is no crash. :? Doesn't get me any closer to solving the problem, but at least I can continue the campaign now.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:25 am

Playing using the vanilla mission file causes the same crash. Every. Single. Time.
Do you intend using the mission file dated 1999?

But if I open the mission in Allied, save a new copy of the mission, and then play it, then there is no crash.
Did you change anything in the mission file before saving a new copy?